Jon Fitness' average 7mm signals workbench.

I think that's the gantry ready to install now. All painted and weathered, I have 2 smoke deflector plates prepared and they will be fitted once I align the gantry over the tracks. I'll probably fit a track circuit diamond under the main doll too. I've made up a 14ft long wiring loom with all 4 servo wires and the route indicator switches all ready to plug in. I did consider putting the driver boards a bit nearer to the signal but there are another 10 servo's to consider and the board is in a very easy to access place for setting up and is away from anywhere it can be damaged or interfered with.

Once the signal is installed I'll do a bit of a youtube thing on it showing connections and setting up the board as well as operation if anyone's interested.

post-7179-0-50966400-1463080957_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-93222300-1463080968_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-21026600-1463080980_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-34402800-1463080992_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-08860300-1463081003_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-86288300-1463081013_thumb.jpg

Anyway the weather was too nice to ignore the fact there was a class 60 on the log train so I had a walk down to the footbridge at Rossett today!

Anyone fancy a "doughnut"?

post-7179-0-38712300-1463081033_thumb.jpg

More soon including the STE bracket progress!

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 5

The bracket looks superb Jon, nice and grimy just how I'd like the ones on Gaer junction to be.

Looking forward to seeing the bracket for Severn Tunnel completed.

Hi Steve, the STE bracket's on it's baseplate now. I'll be cracking on with that in a week or so as I'm off down the Isle of Wight for a break and some vintage bus action. There's a couple of wagon kits in the rucksack in case of rainy days! Daughter's been left in charge of the cats and the beer store. 

Cats will be fine but I'll bet the beer suffers a fatal attack..... :jester:

JF

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

Great signal as usual.

Please let me know how you get on with that 14ft wiring run.

I'd be a bit wary of interference being picked up by the servo signal wires, particularly on DCC systems. 

For long runs, Geoff of GF Controls recommends using shielded twin cable for the servos.

The shield replaces the "return" wire, and the other two are the power and the signal.

Steve.

Hi Jon,

Great signal as usual.

Please let me know how you get on with that 14ft wiring run.

I'd be a bit wary of interference being picked up by the servo signal wires, particularly on DCC systems. 

For long runs, Geoff of GF Controls recommends using shielded twin cable for the servos.

The shield replaces the "return" wire, and the other two are the power and the signal.

Steve.

Will do Steve. I don't think it will be the longest run on the layout but as there's 4 servo wires in it I may just wrap a bit of soft iron wire along the bits nearest the track. I'll keep it well away from track feed wires though!

JF

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the gantry has been installed on the layout but no video yet as there's a little problem to sort out with it.

I made up the 2 wiring looms, one for the servos and one for the route indicator box. Fortunately I added an extra foot to the measured length of the looms and it was a good job I did as routeing problems meant I used up any slack I had allowed for.

Here's the signal end of the wiring...

post-7179-0-47153300-1464469399_thumb.jpg

and this is the loom plugged into the megapoints board end..

post-7179-0-24270700-1464469414_thumb.jpg

It's all connected to this...

post-7179-0-47369100-1464469425_thumb.jpg

Each lever operates a microswitch which is normally open and closes when the lever is pulled. Unfortunately the Megapoints board requires switches to be normally closed to keep the signals at danger so a quick re-wire had to be done first.

Initial set up requires mucho button pressing to be done on the board and it's easier to do than explain but here goes.

There are 4 buttons; Low, Program, High and Mode. It gets easier with practise but basically it goes:-

With power on and operating switches connected, connect servos, they whizz to the middle of their stroke.

Press prog button, yellow LED flashes to indicate programming started. To select which servo to set up, keep prodding the prog button as it will scroll through 1-12 on the servos. This will be indicated by the number of flashes of the yellow LED e.g. press it 6 times and servo 6 is chosen and the yellow LED will flash 6 times (pause) 6 times etc... 

Press Mode button to select how the servo will move. 1 press, points normal (red led single flash), press again points reverse (red led 2 flashes) , again for semaphore arm upper (3)  or lower quadrant (4) Although this will of course depend on which way the servos rotate to operate the signals..(confused? you will be.. :jester:.)

Press the High button to move the signal arm one way until it reaches the position you wish it to stop at, repeat with the low button and then press the prog button to move on to the next servo.

Once you get to servo 12, press prog button once more and you are back to normal operation mode and all the programmed signals will assume their resting position in correspondence with the switches. Took me a while to get the process in my head and reading the downloadable instructions is a must!

Anyway The wiring all plugged in without a fuss and the Theatre route indicator twinkled into life too.

post-7179-0-82483600-1464469437_thumb.jpg

Sadly, one of the signal arms stopped responding and on investigation this is what I found

post-7179-0-81310200-1464469403_thumb.jpg

Circled is burnt out servo. I must have overdriven it during set up and popped it. You can see where the heat has melted the plastic. Never mind, all the others work in total silence and at least I can change the servo without too much trouble.

So...I'll do the video when I repair the signal as it will need re-setting at the board.

Moving on to the GWR bracket signal, I've done the basic painting and re-assembly and it's all tested and working OK

post-7179-0-20741300-1464469443_thumb.jpg

post-7179-0-79648000-1464469448_thumb.jpg

There's still a big list of jobs to do on it then it will get a good weathering.

Handrails, wooden staging, weight bars at the base, dummy signal motor to fit, make up and fit some contact boxes, battery box near the base of the post etc etc!

More soon

JF

PS. Somewhat cheesed off now. I heard a thump in a cupboard earlier on this evening. A large white box had fell off an internal cupboard shelf and landed on the bottom of the cupboard. Sadly the box contained my JLTRT 10001 model...One cab is now somewhat crunched. Humph.

This is roughly what it should look like..

post-7179-0-21733200-1464472027_thumb.jpg

T'other end looks like this now.

post-7179-0-26371200-1464472037_thumb.jpg

:stinker: :O  

Edited by Jon Fitness

Signals look Superb Jon 1st class work as ever. Sorry to see the loco looking like that, can you repair it?

I think all the bits are still in the box so I'll give it a go. Failing that I'll have to give Laurie a ring for a new cab...

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jon,

That gantry and GWR signals look superb.  How did you build your lever frame? Was it scratch built or from components?  Sorry to see 10001 looking worse for wear, hopefully its not a major job to correct the damage ... whoever invented gravity should be shot! :)

Rich

Hi Jon,

That gantry and GWR signals look superb.  How did you build your lever frame? Was it scratch built or from components?  Sorry to see 10001 looking worse for wear, hopefully its not a major job to correct the damage ... whoever invented gravity should be shot! :)

Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks, I think 10001's cab is a write off but I'm always the one who imagines the worst case scenario! It won't stay in the box long as I can't stand anything like that niggling away at me! :angry:  I'll get it checked out before the Doncaster O gauge do and I'll see if Laurie at JLTRT will bring me a spare cab down from Scottyland if necessary.

The lever frame is a re-built MSE brass one. Check out page 25 of this 'ere thread.......!

Cheers

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, the gantry has been installed on the layout but no video yet as there's a little problem to sort out with it.

I made up the 2 wiring looms, one for the servos and one for the route indicator box. Fortunately I added an extra foot to the measured length of the looms and it was a good job I did as routeing problems meant I used up any slack I had allowed for.

Here's the signal end of the wiring...

attachicon.gifIMG_3505 (1000x750).jpg

and this is the loom plugged into the megapoints board end..

attachicon.gifIMG_3507 (1000x750).jpg

It's all connected to this...

attachicon.gifIMG_3509 (1000x750).jpg

Each lever operates a microswitch which is normally open and closes when the lever is pulled. Unfortunately the Megapoints board requires switches to be normally closed to keep the signals at danger so a quick re-wire had to be done first.

Initial set up requires mucho button pressing to be done on the board and it's easier to do than explain but here goes.

There are 4 buttons; Low, Program, High and Mode. It gets easier with practise but basically it goes:-

With power on and operating switches connected, connect servos, they whizz to the middle of their stroke.

Press prog button, yellow LED flashes to indicate programming started. To select which servo to set up, keep prodding the prog button as it will scroll through 1-12 on the servos. This will be indicated by the number of flashes of the yellow LED e.g. press it 6 times and servo 6 is chosen and the yellow LED will flash 6 times (pause) 6 times etc... 

Press Mode button to select how the servo will move. 1 press, points normal (red led single flash), press again points reverse (red led 2 flashes) , again for semaphore arm upper (3)  or lower quadrant (4)

Press the High button to move the signal arm one way until it reaches the position you wish it to stop at, repeat with the low button and then press the prog button to move on to the next servo.

Once you get to servo 12, press prog button once more and you are back to normal operation mode and all the programmed signals will assume their resting position in correspondence with the switches. Took me a while to get the process in my head and reading the downloadable instructions is a must!

Anyway The wiring all plugged in without a fuss and the Theatre route indicator twinkled into life too.

attachicon.gifIMG_3511 (1000x750).jpg

Sadly, one of the signal arms stopped responding and on investigation this is what I found

attachicon.gifIMG_3506 (1000x750).jpg

Circled is burnt out servo. I must have overdriven it during set up and popped it. You can see where the heat has melted the plastic. Never mind, all the others work in total silence and at least I can change the servo without too much trouble.

So...I'll do the video when I repair the signal as it will need re-setting at the board.

Moving on to the GWR bracket signal, I've done the basic painting and re-assembly and it's all tested and working OK

attachicon.gifIMG_3513 (1000x750).jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_3517 (1000x750).jpg

There's still a big list of jobs to do on it then it will get a good weathering.

Handrails, wooden staging, weight bars at the base, dummy signal motor to fit, make up and fit some contact boxes, battery box near the base of the post etc etc!

More soon

JF

PS. Somewhat cheesed off now. I heard a thump in a cupboard earlier on this evening. A large white box had fell off an internal cupboard shelf and landed on the bottom of the cupboard. Sadly the box contained my JLTRT 10001 model...One cab is now somewhat crunched. Humph.

This is roughly what it should look like..

attachicon.gifIMG_3518 (1000x750).jpg

T'other end looks like this now.

attachicon.gifIMG_3520 (1000x750).jpg

:stinker: :O

Sorry to hear that about 10001 perhaps you should have fitted it with air brakes.

The signals look superb. Hopefully see you at Donny.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rich,

Thanks, I think 10001's cab is a write off but I'm always the one who imagines the worst case scenario! It won't stay in the box long as I can't stand anything like that niggling away at me! :angry:  I'll get it checked out before the Doncaster O gauge do and I'll see if Laurie at JLTRT will bring me a spare cab down from Scottyland if necessary.

The lever frame is a re-built MSE brass one. Check out page 25 of this 'ere thread.......!

Cheers

JF

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the pointer about that - somehow missed that bit totally. Your standard of work never ceases to amaze me!  Looking forward to seeing your signals on Marsh Lane/Summers Lane as things progress :)

Rich

The 2 GWR signals are now complete, painted and dirtyfied. Usual wash of a very thin mix of Humbrol matts 33 & 62 with a bit of dry brushing here and there.

Needless to say, the sun went in as the camera came out but I think the light was good enough to show the grot up!

post-7179-0-15416200-1464640940_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-13745300-1464640945_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-63092800-1464640950_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-66493800-1464640956_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-60846100-1464640963_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-28532600-1464640970_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-15666800-1464640976_thumb.jpgpost-7179-0-65280900-1464640980_thumb.jpg

I've done some videoing of the signals in action but there's some editing to do before it's ready to publish.

Not sure what's up next but there's plenty to do!

More soon!

JF

• Like 5

Jon

I know you know a lot about signals, and I know you do a lot of models of signals, but I remain astonished at the speed with which you turn them out...

looks great!

Simon

Cheers Simon! I thought I was a bit on the slow side wot with work, life and a vintage bus getting in the way! Now Billy at Premier Components wants me to start building GWR wagons for him too, Can anyone invent the 36 hour day for me? I'll pay for it in signals........ :locomotive:

JF

Edited by Jon Fitness