Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Great day yesterday at Mount Pleasant Rail Mail.

This morning I've made a start on the left hand fascia. I've only planned for two columns of windows and have left the odd left-hand one off to fit in more overall frontage as a view blocker in the space available - all part of necessary compression and compromise. Next to add lintels and sills.

DSC05907red.jpg.7d6e7b53139f2a64a98a8d0e99b24f46.jpg

• Like 7

Today I've got the rest of the paint on and windows fitted to the main wall panel. And it's now glued in place. Next to tackle is the top floor fascia (with balcony frontage) and the chunky curved cast concrete bay dividers that curve over the balcony. Then it'll be the pitched roof that goes on top. 

DSC05929crperred.jpg.41be0f037439136fec7c90965ec32f84.jpg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

11 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

You must be getting close to getting the track bed built.

The track bed for each end off-scene fiddle-yard/return loops are complete and ready to lay track on. One end on-scene section is also ready and does have some track laid. And the station through lines track bed has been cut. The delay for the main section has been being able to obtain suitable correct height timber to support the track bed, but recently I've been able to acquire some.

• Like 5

Hello Graham:

I've been following your work for quite a while now.  Despite modelling in a different scale in a different location, I find it all very inspirational, while at the same time boggling at the scope of what you're building. Simply amazing.

But it's time to ask a question: as a beginner, I'm amazed at the step from "blocks of colour" as shown in your Wednesday post above, to the apparent realism of your Thursday post (I don't know the location).  Please Sir, what's the "trick"?

Edited by aardvark
  • Like 2

There's no trick.

By block of colour I mean the main basic colour for each assembly (wall panel, roof tent, chimney stack tops, etc.,) that is usually applied by spray painting (I use a lot of aerosols). Then the details are picked out (usually with a fine brush using acrylics) and the whole thing sealed with a coat of matt varnish (also from an aerosol). Next the windows and doors are added from behind and the assembly is glued in place on the carcass.

Any touch up paint needed and separately prepared/finished details (like aircon units, down pipes, guttering, etc) are added next, and a little weathering applied (mostly powders and panel line washes).

HTH

Edited by grahame
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Been following your work with keen interest ever since I read about Hedges Hill Cutting in Railway Modeller or whatever magazine it featured in originally (escapes me now). This is astonishing stuff and I’m very much waiting with baited breath to see the whole thing come together, especially as a Londoner who used this station in the 90s/ early 2000s myself. 

If it’s of any interest the 1994 film ‘London’ written and directed by Patrick Keiller contains a nice shot or two of London Bridge at this time period at around 46mins, including a great sweeping shot of the eastern side of the station with EMUs coming and going. The whole film in general should provide a lot of modelling inspiration as it’s full of shots of various central London locations at the time and also billboards, advertisements and vehicles. 

Looking forward to seeing more!

Edited by jackrob

• 3 weeks later...

The next building/block, along (left/west) from the brewery and office block, will have a warehouse as the main structure. There were several in the area so it should be easy to cobble up a suitable one to fit.

I mocked up a very rough idea from paper and a section from the central labs building I'd made for the gas works, but that can't fit in and be used. I've cut them back to provide a sort ready made lean-to extension. I'll have to try and make the main warehouse block with a similar style and finish.

DSC06071red.jpg.8c1337bf70c3a1beac8b2f64b8081f43.jpg

I've cut out the block area, including the pavements, which I'll use a a base to build on:

DSC06077red.jpg.cf3e5a4dfbb8efe00647da5a7e57a0ca.jpg

Next to do some more research to find a suitable prototype to base the model on.

• Like 9

There's plenty of on-line references and photos of South London Victorian warehouses - and all fairly similar in style, so I've started by making the main carcass. The decorative features will be added when I make the walls:

DSC06078red.jpg.4b4ddd9a4d10d5cdf5ecbf16171aff64.jpg

• Like 10

I've cut the main walls from brick embossed plasticard ready to mark up with doors and windows and detail with various architectural features. I didn't have sufficient of the usual brick sheets that I usually use, but had this 2mm American plain brick bond. It's an odd buff colour but once it's painted, detailed and weathered I doubt anyone will be able to notice.

DSC06084red.jpg.f0029b1417c736d1a38bdfee7d024481.jpg

• Like 11

A start has been made on cutting apertures and adding relief details to the wall panels. Unfortunately I've a dental check-up this morning so it'll not be until this afternoon before I can continue (sills, lintels, etc). The marked up window on the Glazing-grids is to check the size of the window openings.

DSC06086red.jpg.bc86d947cb78cc1ee0ca7eed49a723d0.jpg

• Like 11

Some progress on the main two features walls (those that will be obvious from the viewing position) and the pitched roof now made. It's basically a tent made from cardboard and covered with Redutex self adhesive tiling sheets. I've given it a coat of aerosol grey paint as panels were from different sheets with different shades. Ridge tiles need to be added which will cover the joints. And a chimney stack for one end where offices would have been.

DSC06094red.jpg.1c9a229f48b22f4a294c485ff89b044d.jpg

• Like 10

I've not had much time today to do much modelling but I think I've got the finish of the wall panels acceptable and a reasonable match for the previously made (some years ago now) lean-to/extension section. When the windows are fitted it should look okay. Next to tackle is the roof which looks rather new and overly pristine.

DSC06102red.jpg.c1a0dd460e1676aff3b5dcaacfc62a63.jpg 

• Like 13

The windows (on the viewing side) have been installed and a chimney stack made (but it's not fixed as top flaunching and pots are yet to be added). I've test placed it on the layout to check it all goes together okay (pic below). The walls aren't attached as doors need to be made and fitted. Then they can be glued to the carcass. Finally, details, like the hoist jib and down pipes, can be made and added. 

DSC06103crperred.jpg.0a6d9135210f260296a5fe6304b0dfa7.jpg

• Like 11

Here's a pic I took the other day but didn't post at the time - it might be of interest being a little more elevated and including the brewery and a better view of the other buildings around. You can also see that the chimney pots have been added since the previous pic posted and a little weathering on the roof. Still got the down pipes and hoist jib to make.

DSC06121crperred.jpg.a87d9188b690cf1e30b6d4a0bc2643cb.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

As part of the block with the warehouse, I'd planned to include some buildings facing the road, Bermondsey Street. I've chosen some fairly plain fronted three storey ones, including a café currently called Chapter 72, to base the model on, see here: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.501484,-0.0821143,3a,75y,235.21h,103.23t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1s7w8xcfK0ruGuhCPrzhtbyw!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3D7w8xcfK0ruGuhCPrzhtbyw%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D28.525812%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I've knocked up a card carcass as pictured below (apologies for quick poor quality snap) to get started :

DSC06134red.jpg.94fd974cf2d338904a0d01ceaf6b4be1.jpg

Edited by grahame
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I have wondered what would happen if the owner wanted to take the 'shed' off the top of No.78, just to the south of your two houses. I bet it would be refused by the planning department conservation officer.

Bermondsey StJan 06 046.jpg

• Like 2