Scratch-built card and styrene structures (based on real buildings around London Bridge)

grahame

Many thanks. I have seen that pic and although it's rather old does show some buildings still standing.

The roof in the left foreground is of what is now the Barrowboy and Banker (formally the first ever Nat West Bank). The central section (left of the viaduct with the Wenlock pub) has all gone and is replaced by Colechurch House but behind, just poking above, can be seen the white art-deco St Olaf's House with to the right of that (just before the tall end building of the now demolished triangular block) can be seen the top of Denmark House with the fancy pictorial carved panel. Further down Tooley Street are the shipping/warehouse offices for the various wharfs behind them like Butler's, Colonial, Cotton's and Hays.

G

I've had a relaxing lazy Sunday, so almost no modelling has been done - just a little painting and adding a roof structure on my model of Battlebridge House. Nonetheless, here's another pic of Denmark/Emblem House (see if you can work out what's been done since the last one)

;-)

post-33-0-96676600-1528648446_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 14

I've been a bit busy with the NGS Journal and the football has now started - Russia have won the first game 5-0!

But I did find some smaller diameter tube and remade the chimney/flaunching strips which have allowed an extra pot to be added on top of each of the two larger stacks. They're painted and even glued in place - otherwise I'll probably lose them. And I need to get some weathering on them (and the walls) to tone it all down. Now where are my weathering powders?

post-33-0-37740100-1528995773_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 11

I've started adding windows and details to the Denmark House section, but with four live World Cup games on TV today I doubt anyhting alse will get done. And with three of four games a day for the next wekk or so . . . .

post-33-0-11092900-1529135457_thumb.jpg

(apologies for the rushed poor pic)

G.

• Like 10

The central section (left of the viaduct with the Wenlock pub) has all gone and is replaced by Colechurch House

That's too bad. That building at the far end which towers over everything else would make a terrific model.

Jim

That's too bad. That building at the far end which towers over everything else would make a terrific model.

Jim

Yep, and that impressive looking flag pole that's even taller than the building behind it.

G

Other things have been intruding on modelling time recently, including a visit to hospital yesterday to check up on my recent operations. Unfortunately I've got to go back, probably next week, for another bit of cutting although it'll only be day surgery. Nonetheless I did build a Knightwing kit of a Portakabin Pacemaker portable building and have installed in on the 'building/demolishion site':

post-33-0-88408900-1529487718_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 9

And another view from a different angle. The snag will be that the portkabin building (and dumper truck and skip) will be mostly hidden behind a warehouse building:

post-33-0-59765300-1529488134_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 8

I've been rather distracted with other projects (finishing off NGS Journal 4/18 see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81640-ngs-journal/page-10&do=findComment&comment=3210743 - starting on some 3D printed vehicles here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/120165-3d-printed-road-vehicles/page-8&do=findComment&comment=3211825 - and trying to sort out the details of when and where for my next hospital visit) so there has been little progress on the buildings. However, I have taken a pic of two of them as a sort of comparison against the real ones that might be of interest:

post-33-0-20902000-1530008245_thumb.jpg

Hopefully the lack of two vertical columns of widows from Emblem House is not to obvious and that they are starting to capture the look and atmosphere.

G

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

I've not added anything to this thread for a while as I've been busy on other projects (rather than buildings). However, I did purchase some 3D printed building details (air-con units and lockers) along with some vehicles from Shapeways (designer Ngineer). You do need to bear in mind that these are tiny N/2mm models as the pics are massively enlarged:

post-33-0-39619300-1531654189_thumb.jpg

And have been adding them in place to add some life to the buildings:

post-33-0-36120500-1531654233_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-37124300-1531654279_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-00578100-1531654304_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 11

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies for the lack of any updates of recent - I've was tied up with the NGS Journal and AGM, and then the following day I ended up in hospital and they kept me in for eight days.

Anyway to ease my way back in to some modelling I've taken a look at the basic LB power-box structure that I built some time ago. It wasn't finished by a long way and today I've painted the cabin roof and added the modules on the roof. Modern day Google views shows something there but it's not clear although I don't think anything was there for the time I'm modelling. But the roof was looking plain and bare and they add a little interest, so I added a simple pair of tanks/units.

This is the front of the box from the rail side but this will be away from the viewing side. Doors and lights need to be added:

post-33-0-40981600-1534085876_thumb.jpg

This is the back side that will be facing the viewing position so it's the side that will be easily seen. It's got the name added but the windows need glazing bars and other details added.

post-33-0-85374300-1534085980_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 8

Little and slow progress I'm afraid. And things that aren't dramatic and not obviously seen. For example I've dirtied down the roof (with weathering powders) and added the rear and side glazing bars which had the be cut from plasticard and painted before gluing in place:

post-33-0-45376700-1534342583_thumb.jpg

G

• Like 7

Hopefully the lack of two vertical columns of widows from Emblem House is not to obvious and that they are starting to capture the look and atmosphere.

Pity you couldn't include the columns of widows - there might have been some lookers amongst 'em.

You live and learn.

When I made this building/shop row (see earlier in this thread and used in the background of the pic below just as part of a temporary static diorama), all the reference photos for the period I could find were from the street level and didn't show the roof.

post-33-0-70186700-1534407218_thumb.jpg

However, I've recently purchased a book "BR The First 25 Years - Vol 6 - Central London Southern Region" and in it there is a full page aerial view from the era with the building right at the front. And it shows that my assumption for the roof is completely wrong. Rather than being pitched for the whole length of the row, many sections actually have flat roofs. Damn. But I think it's probably too late to change it now, and I can't really be bothered with lots of other modelling to do.

At least the street shop fronts look pretty much spot on although they can't be seen in the pic above.

G.

• Like 3

I thought for my next building I'd attempt Bridge House (4 Borough High Street) which is next to the Barrowboy and Banker/Nat West Bank. It completes that small block. The building looks to be neo-classical with tall half relief columns running up the front of the 2nd and 3rd floors topped with Ionic style capitals. It's easy to see on Google street view but the only pic I seem to have of it is this long shot where it's somewhat hidden away:

post-33-0-77079900-1534501787_thumb.jpg

It will need to be the same depth as the pub/bank and the north side (right hand side) wont need any detailing as it will be facing away from the viewing position and close to the back scene. With the left side flush against the pub/bank that means just the front elevation (and roofing) will need modelling in detailed relief. With the finish a smooth block facing it should be fairly easy, although the roof, with it's curved domed frontage, will probably be trickier. 

G.

• Like 1

The first stage, for me for this building, is to draw up a full size character sketch plan of the frontage. This is relatively rough but gives an indication of overall size (height and width) and the relationship of details like floors, windows, friezes, columns, etc. From this the dimensions will be taken to draw up the accurate plan directly on the modelling material (card, mountboard, plasticard or whatever) ready for cutting:

post-33-0-12955800-1534503551_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 8

From Google aerial view it is easy to see and work out the roof details from above. I've sketched up another very rough character sketch of this (apologies it's on a scrap of paper and photographed) so that it is easy to work out the shapes and structures required. And then to design and mark up the wall shapes to be cut out that will accommodate the steeped roof line.

post-33-0-31239100-1534506098_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

The first constructional work is to produce a kit of mountboard parts to form the main structural framework. They are simply cut out with a scalpel against a steel edge. The thin strips glued to the sides are to locate the floors (the smaller three rectangles) :

post-33-0-96161800-1534507972_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 4

Then the pieces are glued together to form the box like structure that the detailed front wall will be hung on. The triangles of card are glued in place at the time the walls and floors are stuck together to help ensure they are at right angles.

post-33-0-35619600-1534509427_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 5

I've now added the roof structures (except the curved dome feature which will take a little thinking about) made from card. It's been given a quick blast of grey primer and rubbed down (hense the piebald look) to make the surfaces smooth and the corners and edges sharp ready for adding the decorative architectural features. I've also cut the front wall which will be detailed and finished before gluing to the front.

This is proving to be quite a straightforward simple building (I hope I haven't commented too soon). A nice project to ease me back in to modelling.

post-33-0-19479000-1534517621_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 6

The front elevation is also now a little piebald (and just temporarily tacked in place). There's lots of architectural details to add but my next issue is finding suitable columns. Although they are tapered it is only very slight so suitable tube cut in half should suffice. Snag is that all the tube I have is not of a suitable diameter.

post-33-0-77064100-1534522956_thumb.jpg

G.

• Like 3

I'm wondering if I'll get away with these - they're rather wide and consequently mean they are rather flat without any stand out definition but the building will be right at the back corner of the layout. Any comment/suggestion?

post-33-0-16580200-1534524589_thumb.jpg

G.

I'm wondering if I'll get away with these - they're rather wide and consequently mean they are rather flat without any stand out definition but the building will be right at the back corner of the layout. Any comment/suggestion?

attachicon.gifDSC_6470.JPG

G.

I think they are to big.

Most columns have a return of the curve that goes behind the half way point which gives the impression of a separate item.

Bar-B-Que stick or similar laid in a groove cut in the wall panel to reduce the projection outwards is my first thought.

Plastic tubing, electric cable (would be difficult to get straight) with the wire removed are a few other things that come to mind.