Antique books on railways, advice on conservation

runs as required

My eldest grandson spent some time this summer holidays researching his father’s ‘our’ side of the family tree, having last summer enjoyed tracing his mother’s far more prestigious Scottish family back in time.

He found that his great great great great great great maternal grandfather (seven generations back) was Edward Radclyffe (1809-1863) an engraver who produced the engravings for Thomas Roscoe’s book “The London and Birmingham Railway” published by Tilt in 1839.
The Roscoes were the leading Liverpool Abolitionist family and Radclyffe, resident in London but from a Birmingham family of painters and engravers, collaborated with a far younger Liverpool painter C D Callow - presumably commissioned by Roscoe

A couple of days ago to my delight, a very battered copy of the 1839 book arrived that my grandson, knowing my early railway interest, had found on the internet.

Two things puzzle  me

The first:

I am seeking advice from folk who might know about book conservation: the book is in fragments as pictured.

post-21705-0-34696700-1474551367.jpg

My question is can anything be done to it physically to make it more handleable?

Or instead of destroying its patina, should we rather ‘use it’ via its Google digitised format?

Second:

I have worked at resolving my initial confusion about our ancestor’s handiwork relative to the renowned set of L&B views by JC Bourne.
Here are Bourne’s Euston engraving to the left, Radclyffe’s to the right; roughly contemporaneous.

post-21705-0-29853500-1474551454_thumb.jpg

Bourne’s ‘Views of the L&B’ 1838/9  are famous for their explanatory depictions of the works in progress on the great cuttings and Kilsby tunnel and always for their dynamic chiaroscuro. He went on to consolidate his reputation illustrating the GWR for Brunel and other great civils works internationally.

Edward Radclyffe (though I’d argue he made a better job of the Euston gateway’s Doric proportions than Bourne) seems to have been more of a well regarded competent illustrator of guidebooks and travellers’ companions - such as Roscoe’s book.

dh

It5 may be possible to get the original rebound - however it might be an expensive proposition. If you wish to investigate further https://bookbinders.co.uk/ (other bookbinders are available {see Google})

Many thanks for that link.

I was very touched not only by the receipt of the book but also by the amount of effort my grandson had put into both delving back on line and documenting his findings that he printed out for my sister and I about our side of the family.

Over the years he has enjoyed staying with us on Tyneside, first excitingly by GNER (still with restaurant cars) from King Cross, latterly by Cross Country Voyager from Oxford to play trains, learn to solder and (his favourite) to walk the old railways above Weardale in all weathers.

I'd like him to get the book with its engravings back in the fullness of time but in a better condition - without having lost its mystery. It seems worth discussing the possibilities with experts.

dh

These might be worth a try: https://twmuseums.org.uk/collections/conservation

It says that they offer advice, so presumably you wouldn't be tied into using them for the actual job.

Jim

Ask at your local museum or library, or even the NRM. Most city centre libraries and museums have conservationists and are quite often very willing to pass on knowledge. Unlike commercial bookbinders who will often only have a monetary interest.

Jason

Thanks for those two posts - they both lead to the same place: our local Tyne & Wear Museums service.

dh

Archived