Peco Hudson Rugga type side tipping wagons

bertiedog

The long awaited 009 Hudson Rugga side tipping wagons are now available, and a small rake being bought for use on my L&B line "Woody Bay"

Nicely detailed as far as side tipping skips go, they are commendably close coupled 4 wheeled skips in 009, sold in packs of three wagons by Peco.

They appear accurate from details on line, there were many variants of tipping skips made by Hudson of Leeds.

post-6750-0-11662200-1475498066.jpg

Only a point, but these wagons are flyweight of course, and need a ballast load to getting steady running on anything but dead smooth track, but of course they would only be moved at low speeds anyway. The free running is good, and I doubt that any engine would be overloaded by even a long rake of them.

As usual Peco have supplied the Hardlon wheels, not as nice as metal, but are fine as long as the wheels are cleaned, as they seem to pick up dirt easily.

A few more on order in grey livery, a brown livery version is available as well.

Stephen

• Like 2

I have not seen the Parkside version, the wheelsets are standard Peco N gauge wheels. I have not got the measurement for the 2mm set width to hand, but I am pretty sure they fit if the Peco fit. The frames are a tighter fit to the wheel set than some N gauge frames. I will measure them tomorrow.

The Parkside skip version kits are cheaper, (5X per pack), with metal axles and plastic wheels. The price of the Peco is very variable, some suppliers want over £30 per three, others under £20 per pack. The same variance applies to the coaches prices, be warned!!

Stephen

2FS wheels come on a right assortment of axle lengths to suit various RTR conversions, but the proper 2FS standard calls for axles much narrrower than N gauge or 009. Also being only 1.3mm wide, and in my case 8mm gauge, there's going to be a lot of fresh air between wheel and frame! 

• RMweb Premium

I bought two packs in brown from the Bure Valley Railway on Saturday. They are charging £23 a pack.

At our Norfolk & Suffolk NGM monthly meet last night I fitted some Graham Farish metal coach wheels to two.

The bottom plate unclips, wheels replaced then reclip plate.

The wheels have already added a bit of weight.

post-77-0-46748200-1475562808_thumb.jpg

post-77-0-83789100-1475562818_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

always someone moaning. Not everyone wants to built kits, and the big boom in OO9 is r2r stock. At least Peco are delivring within a reasonable timescale. 

Having talked to some on OO9 stand at Wigan, the feeling is that these are superb, and run very well. I am tempted as they are bigger than the Minitrains ones and could suit bigger scale minimum gauge (either O9, G9 , even 1/55 or 1/32 on 9mm gauge). Initially I think they will look very nice with one of my 40hp Simplex locos.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

It seems from examination that the skip body is only held level by the tiny moulded tab on the underside of the tipping track, this can be removed and the skips sit naturally in the level position, but can be displayed with the skip over to one side.

This does however mean the skips are loose, and can be knocked over easily, and may not run as steadily, unless a small amount of load is added.

But with a load they would be level anyway, and by leaving the locking tab, it means a full skip load could be added that would not overbalance it.

I have some others coming, but I notice that one of the skips has no coupling loops and wondered if this is intentional by Peco, or a mistake. They still couple up correctly, as a three set, of course. If the full couplings are meant to be there, I will drop a line to Peco to send some replacements out.

The size is bigger than the Minitrains/Roco types as these are 4mm scale, for 009, not 3.5mm HO sized. However Hudson seem to have made them in dozens of designs and sizes.

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog

• 3 weeks later...

Seem to remember someone mentioning a missing coupling on one wagon in set. Can't find the messaage now, but when I checked my set of brown tippers, one wagon was missing one coupling. My set of grey tippers have all couplings though. Nice wagons, but I do now realise why I normally model in bigger scales.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

The three types of wheels that GF sell in packs of 10 are all the same size - 6.2mm. They are a straight swap for the Peco ones and will add a bit of weight to these wagons.

• Like 1

The three types of wheels that GF sell in packs of 10 are all the same size - 6.2mm. They are a straight swap for the Peco ones and will add a bit of weight to these wagons.

I guessed they probably would be the same, but people keep saying carriage wheels, so thought i'd check. Thank You Nile

• 2 weeks later...

It seems from examination that the skip body is only held level by the tiny moulded tab on the underside of the tipping track, this can be removed and the skips sit naturally in the level position, but can be displayed with the skip over to one side.

This does however mean the skips are loose, and can be knocked over easily, and may not run as steadily, unless a small amount of load is added.

But with a load they would be level anyway, and by leaving the locking tab, it means a full skip load could be added that would not overbalance it.

I have some others coming, but I notice that one of the skips has no coupling loops and wondered if this is intentional by Peco, or a mistake. They still couple up correctly, as a three set, of course. If the full couplings are meant to be there, I will drop a line to Peco to send some replacements out.

The size is bigger than the Minitrains/Roco types as these are 4mm scale, for 009, not 3.5mm HO sized. However Hudson seem to have made them in dozens of designs and sizes.

Stephen

Hudsons produced only 5 standard sizes for 24" gauge (and thereabouts) at the time period of the Rugga skip. They were available in sizes 13 1/2, 18, 27, 36 and 54 cu. Yd. The Peco wagons (as do the Parkside kits) look like the 27 cu. Yd. type. Each type was different in overall size and the two larger sizes had a different style of skip.

They did produce more sizes but these were for larger gauges and were of a different type and mostly with inside frames and certainly weren't Rugga skips.

When it comes to wheel diameters, the 13 1/2, 18 and 27cu. ft. types all used 12-inch wheels as standard but I suppose if a customer wanted larger wheels they could go up to the 15-inch wheels of the 54cu. yd, type. Either way, 7mm wheels are way oversize for true scale.

I'm just getting back into narrow gauge modelling and I looked at some of these Peco skips at Narrow Gauge North. I have to say I wasn't impressed and the Parkside kits are more convincing, not to mention cheaper and with metal wheels too.