Churminster & Stowe Magna, Southern Railway

Tony Teague

• RMweb Gold

Just between ourselves, and not for wider communication, I think I have found a sneaky way of reducing my "missing list" by 1!:unsure:

When updating the list yesterday, I decided that I really should cross check my source information as I have relied solely on the Collin Boocock volume "Locomotive Compendium: Southern" as the basis for my goal and for the "missing" list.

So I worked through everything against a copy of the original Ian Allan 1948 Locomotive guide - and what I found was that it does not mention the single remaining D3X as being in the BR fleet.

Other sources, such as Russell, shoow that one of the two original D3X's was scrapped in 1937 and the 2nd, no.2397 in 1948 - so given that my goal relates to what was on the books "as at Nationalisation" it might be reasonable for me to ignore it!:danced:

Clearly this is tempting, but being the honest chap that I am, (as well as having already bought a suitable chassis!) I think I will stick to my original list, although it pains me.

So I'd probably prefer that we keep this to ourselves and don't mention it to anyone else if you don't mind. :cry:

Tony

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

What better time to interupt my Review of the Year than when I have only just started!

Yesterday my good friend Mick 'the weathering Jedi' Bonwick called by to deliver, at a suitable social distance, some rolling stok that he had very kindly weathered on my behalf, and it is all stunning!

I had chosen to ask him to attend to the Golden Arrow - because on the one hand it would be a relatively clean train, but on the other, the Pullman models all come with shining white roofs, which in the real world simply didn't last more than a few days after being ex-works, and so this train would be difficult to get right.

1575705754_SJP2020-12-1916-38-27(BRadius8Smoothing4)02201219.jpg.23620c997cbebe470dd67f1fafc96a2e.jpg

As anticipated, Mick has done a stunning job, and I just need to re-unite the loco, No.21C3 'Royal Mail' with it's Golden Arrow regalia!

I won't bore you with a close up of every Pullman car in the formation which runs Chloria - Sappho - Zenobia - (Trianon = missing, see below) - Adrian - Cecilia - Niobe - Onyx - Lady Dalziel + 2 x PMV's - but here are a couple of samples:

SJPPC19008402201219.jpg.1e22628d80278d538b47046d28b4b464.jpg

Pullman Parlour 1st, Niobe

SJPPC19008202201219.jpg.8198bd16c807c7ca662bcf5586ef39ae.jpg

Pullman Kitchen 1st, Adrian

SJPPC19008602201219.jpg.19b8566498a8207227203f4c3f38692b.jpg

Guard Parlour 1st, Lady Dalziel

SJPPC19008702201219.jpg.71cebbd2cb2fa1fcee8436c29984a0d9.jpg

and bringing up the rear (closest to the buffers at the London end), two PMV's.

For the Pullman purists, I have not, and don't intend to alter the specific details of any of the Pullman cars which are Hornby RTR, however the make up of the train is based upon published research which shows that this specific formation ran on 16th June 1947, 1st October 1947 & 31st May 1948 - with just a one car exception. The exception, and current omission, is the 12 wheel Pullman Bar 'Trianon' (version 2) for which no RTR or model kit exists - but I am working on this and intend to rectify it when possible.

Mick had also weathered two other locos:

SJPPC19002202201219.jpg.50be3e3942f794aa01a441ee10ccf562.jpg

Ex-LB&SCR E3 No.2167, and

SJPPC19002102201219.jpg.228c2b82aa4960f2e7d8fc85da9d72c7.jpg

N15, King Arthur class No.771 'Sagramore' - seen here in the afternoon sun outside Churminster shed.

many thanks Mick for a stunning job!

I will return to the Review of The Year in my next post.

Tony

That’s a cracking result on those Pullman roofs. A light weathering is so difficult to do and I love the way that you can see that they were white no so long ago.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Teague said:

Other sources, such as Russell, shoow that one of the two original D3X's was scrapped in 1937 and the 2nd, no.2397 in 1948 - so given that my goal relates to what was on the books "as at Nationalisation" it might be reasonable for me to ignore it!

If 2397 was scrapped in 1948 I think you're right that it was still on the books on 31/12/47. Sorry!

• Agree 1

Bradley gives a scrapping date of July 1948 for the D3X but the Southern didn't always cut locos up that quickly. So it might have been withdrawn in in 1947 (or earlier) and not scrapped immediately.  And it might not have done any work for a while before withdrawal. It certainly got the post-war sunshine lettering so was working at some point in the late 1940s - there's a photo here: https://www.national-preservation.com/threads/r-j-billinton-lbscr-d3-d3x-0-4-4t.942364/

You could always build your D3X without a motor (plus empty bunker and a sack over the chimney) and park it at the back of the depot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

And just to confuse things even more, if you follow the D3X photo on that link back to Smugmug it gives a date of 23/07/1949. 

https://railway-photography.smugmug.com/SRSteam/LBSCR-RJ-Bilinton/RJBillinton-Tank-engines/RJBillinton-LBSCR-D3D3X-class-0-4-4T/i-NpVMTvc

Yes I noticed that - interesting.

Thanks for the images, whatever I do it will certainly need to look fairly grubby!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

So, returning to the Review of 2020, let's complete the locomotive stuff.

According to the Locomotive Superintendant, a number of new acquisitions joined the fleet, although these did not affect the "missing Loco's" list:

SJPPB14000702201114.jpg.ee56b6a673b6368d2925b3ff29519d36.jpg

A pair of Hornby's new Nelsons, which had to have smoke deflectors added, and were weathered.

514914687_SJPSJP2020-06-2817-46-25(BRadius8Smoothing4)0220062802200628.jpg.c1c0d3b61d10a9913ffe8a4587c027fc.jpg

An H15 'Chonker', expertly built & finished by Dave Taylor

SJPPB03000602201103.jpg.c258556094fb48b837d33ba90cf95bac.jpg

A pair of Terriers, one each from Hornby & Rails / Dapol

SJPPA31001502201031.jpg.20e59421657250e671e1267c761a91bb.jpg

And the new, class 0330 from OO Works; this last one being a new class to the fleet, but not on the 'Missing Loco' list as they had all gone before 1948.

The Loco Superintendant was vague about other acquisitions, but I gather there may have been several...

A good number of loco's have also been weathered, so that by the end of the year some 25% of the entire loco fleet have been treated; I regard this as one of the more important achievements of the year, although there are clearly a lot more to work through!

Next we will look at other rolling stock.

Tony

• Like 18
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

When we see a whole year's work condensed into a few sentences it really does illustrate how much has been done, despite what you think. So there!

Overall I tend to agree - it's easy to be self critical - and we have yet to come to the "other stuff".

• Like 3

The Marsh C3 is on its way. Although designed as etches in 2D, (either in AutoCad or DraftSight) the parts have been redrawn in 3D [in Autodesk Inventor] in scale thickness [0.3mm] to check for fit. As expected the compromises required for 4mm (16.5mm track gauge) are apparent but can be worked around.  The major compromise relates to the prototype having the smokebox and firebox actually seated between the frames. To do that with the smokebox would totally distort the 'face' of the loco so the standard compromise of having an arc-shaped cutout has been employed. I may try a digital experiment to see if the same sort of compromise will work on the firebox - I suspect it might.

Similarly, another of Tony's locos (DS75) is now ready - It just needs a suitable SPUD or similar.

magenta-firebox.JPG

4mm-DS74.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Arun Sharma said:

The Marsh C3 is on its way. Although designed as etches in 2D, (either in AutoCad or DraftSight) the parts have been redrawn in 3D [in Autodesk Inventor] in scale thickness [0.3mm] to check for fit. As expected the compromises required for 4mm (16.5mm track gauge) are apparent but can be worked around.  The major compromise relates to the prototype having the smokebox and firebox actually seated between the frames. To do that with the smokebox would totally distort the 'face' of the loco so the standard compromise of having an arc-shaped cutout has been employed. I may try a digital experiment to see if the same sort of compromise will work on the firebox - I suspect it might.

Similarly, another of Tony's locos (DS75) is now ready - It just needs a suitable SPUD or similar.

magenta-firebox.JPG

4mm-DS74.jpg

Thanks for posting the update Arun, and for all of the related work involved.

I am looking forward to getting both locos built and into the fleet! - should help to ensure that I hit at least one of my 2021 targets!

Tony

• Like 2

I tried the modification to the firebox by cutting out an arc around the [rear of the] centre frame splasher and similarly with the rearmost splasher. I think it works. The mod is coloured canary yellow in this pic. Once the horizontal curved splasher tops go on, the changes should make a considerable difference.

modified rear splasher.JPG

Edited by Arun Sharma
addnl info
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

A very pleasant surprise today was the arrival of the kit of parts for DS75, as promised by Arun Sharma at the foot of p.41!

SJPPC30000302201230.jpg.a4e7948fdc4434afa3803384a9e43c4c.jpg

The quality of the 3D print looks excellent and is very detailed - I had to turn down the exposure here because the print is brilliant white and none of the detail would have shown at all.

I'm now awaiting delivery of a suitable Spud-type motor so that construction can commence and make an early contribution to my 2021 goals.

Sincere thanks to Arun for his design work.

Tony

• Like 13

My experience of Spud bogies was not great, have they improved? If you use a spud you might be disappointed. 

I assume by ' spud type ' you mean not an actual  spud? I have been impressed by Bullants including easy DCC conversion and heard good things about Black Beatle bogies.

What do others think?

Martyn 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, mullie said:

My experience of Spud bogies was not great, have they improved? If you use a spud you might be disappointed. 

I assume by ' spud type ' you mean not an actual  spud? I have been impressed by Bullants including easy DCC conversion and heard good things about Black Beatle bogies.

What do others think?

Martyn 

By "spud type" I don't mean a potato :D

I was going to say that I have NIL experience of spud type bogies, however, I suppose I have two under my two NG locos on the line from Churminster Quarry - and they are certainly not the most reliable motors that I have - so this will be a learning experience!

It is important for me that the motor bogie fits well under the body and looks about right; conversely it's pulling power won't be important in this context, and I don't do DCC. (No spuds, no chips!! :rofl: ).

Will post more when the thing arrives!

Tony

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

By "spud type" I don't mean a potato :D

I was going to say that I have NIL experience of spud type bogies, however, I suppose I have two under my two NG locos on the line from Churminster Quarry - and they are certainly not the most reliable motors that I have - so this will be a learning experience!

It is important for me that the motor bogie fits well under the body and looks about right; conversely it's pulling power won't be important in this context, and I don't do DCC. (No spuds, no chips!! :rofl: ).

Will post more when the thing arrives!

Tony

It might be worth looking at the high level range. He does a kit for motorising a wagon which might fit. If not, he's invariably very helpful in solving any motor/drive fitment.

• RMweb Premium

(No spuds, no chips!! :rofl: ).

That's only in Wiltshire, where they don't have French fried potatoes because...

...there's no Devizes for Chippenham.

I thank you.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2