Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Cover Version better than the Original

keefer

Have a cigar - Foo Fighters (pink floyd)

Where did you sleep last night - Nirvana unplugged (ledbelly?)

Love Machine - Artic Monkeys (girls aloud)

And

Billy Jean - Chris Cornell (Michael Jackson )

• RMweb Premium

After a good think here are a few

You Really Got Me - Van Halen (The Kinks)

Pretty Woman - Van Halen (Roy Orbison)

While searching I found that

Ain't no love in the heart of the city, by Whitesnake is a cover

Then a friends band semi covered Falling in love with you originally by Tobruk, semi as the singer was ex Tobruk. The cover was much better.

There's a whole album-full of covers of Suzanne Vega's Tom's Diner on Tom's Album, one featuring part of the theme from I Dream of Genie (Larry Hagman

Going Down To Liverpool by The Bangles (Katrina & The Waves)

Don't want to disrespect Mose Allison but really like The Who's version of Young Man's Blues

Mal

Locomotion is annoying no matter whether it is the original version (or a cover). Either way it is a catchy ear worm and, as such, a tribute to the skills of Goffin/King in cranking out bubblegum pop music.

On the related subject of extensively covered Goffin/King songs (or even just Carol King - particularly in the case of "You've Got a Friend") preferences for covers of songs like "A Natural Woman" will vary. Many will prefer the original recording by Aretha Franklin which is pretty definitive, and others will prefer King's version on Tapestry - after all, she wrote it.

It all comes down to taste, other than, of course, covers by performers like Hendrix, "All Along the Watchtower", Carlos Santana, "Black Magic Woman"  and Led Zeppelin, "When the Levee Breaks") which I think are pretty indisputable.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

I'll have to say that I prefer the understated class of Peter Green (with untalented oafs like Mick Fleetwood)'s version of Black Magic Woman.

Also check out Aslan's version of Wish You Were Here (P Floyd) especially the live version.

And then there's the slightly surreal reggae versions of classic tunes by The Jolly Boys. ( check out their album Great Expectations. A classic case of "start all over again")

Minor edit to fix bud spelingx

Edited by 108

I'll have to say that I prefer the understated class of Peter Green (with untalented oafs like Mick Fleetwood)'s version of Black Magic Woman.

Also check out Aslan's version of Wish You Were Here (P Floyd) especially the live version.

And then there's the slightly surreal reggae versions of classic tunes by The Jolly Boys. ( check out their album Great Expectations. A classic case of "start all over again")

Minor edit to fix bud spelingx

I'm with you on Black Magic Woman - and I like your term 'understated class' - I seem to recall no less than BB King saying something like Peter Green could play one note and it would make him shiver...

There was a splendid cover of Stairway to Heaven, unfortunately by an artist who was banged up for crimes of moral turpitude so probably not on many playlists anymore.

That was only one of 26 covers created for the comedy/talk show The Money or the Gun. Each week a different singer or group would do a cover in a different style. Two of my favourites.

However I don't think any are better than the original!

Cheers

David

• Like 1

There was a splendid cover of Stairway to Heaven, unfortunately by an artist who was banged up for crimes of moral turpitude so probably not on many playlists anymore.

That was only one of 26 covers created for the comedy/talk show The Money or the Gun. Each week a different singer or group would do a cover in a different style. 

Multiple versions are readily available courtesy of YouTube of course. The strategic use of the didgeridoo is funny. 

Two of my favourites.

Very good!  I love the stylistic video production as well.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

Hit me baby one more time - Travis (Britney Spears) mostly because anyone's cover would be better than the original.

Smooth Criminal - Alien Ant Farm (Michael Jackson)

Tainted love - My Ruin (Various) they did this Goth version a number of years before Marilyn Manson did, and their version is tons better. 

Blue Jeans - Terry Poison (Lana del Ray) personal favourite cover of all time for me, even though I also like the original:

Walking in the air - Nightwish (Aled Jones)

Guns 'n' Roses - Down on the farm (The UK Subs)

Renegades of Funk - Rage against the machine (Afrika Bambaastaa)

Others I prefer the cover of have already been mentioned by others.

Edited for poor spelling.

Edited by Jenny Emily

There is a song by Beth Nielson Chapman (who I have a great deal of time for) called This Kiss (which I don't particularly like). The song was covered by Faith Hill and is, in my view, one of the best country/pop "cross-over" records ever released.

Ed