RMweb

Cover Version better than the Original

keefer

• RMweb Premium

ob-la-di by marmalade (beatles)

junior's wailing - status quo (steamhammer)

how about a cover version done by the same artist? I prefer layla (unplugged) to the original (clapton)

There are a few good psychobilly bands' covers that i prefer:

surfin' bird - frenzy (trashmen), bad moon rising - meteors (CCR), baby please don't go (especially live at the klub foot) - restless (them), 16 tons - restless (tennessee ernie ford), i'm on fire - guana batz (springsteen)

Edited by keefer

I have no idea of all the beat combos which have been suggested so far, but as a boy I always preferred the Brian Poole & The Tremeloes version of Twist And Shout to that released by The Beatles.

You might be in a minority there, but it's all a matter of personal opinion. Both are covers of course, the original record was by the Top Notes and the Isley Brothers had the first hit with it.

Lots of entries in this thread for Beatles songs covered by others but of course in the early days the Beatles included many covers in their act. One that is my top favourite is their cover of Bacharach and David's 'Baby It's You' (originally a hit for the Shirelles).

As for a far out cover that (for me) blows the original away, try Cake's version of I Will Survive

Many good (and bad ! ) covers listed so far ! 

I would have to go with just about anything covered by Hendrix -Especially the long slow instrumental version of Little Wing, Joe Cocker, 

Wierd Al has been mentioned - His version of The Devil Went To Georgia by The Charlie Daniels Band is legendary !

The Devil Went To Jamaica -

And a couple of covers by a Swedish duo called First Aid Kit -

America - Simon & Garfunkel

Play with Fire - Rolling Stones

"I shot the sheriff" played by E Clapton (any live version)

"Don't let me down" played by John Mayer and Keith Urban at The Crossroads Festival 2013

Any cover by the Ukelel Orchestra of Great Britain - except Diamonds are for ever.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another I would add would have to be

Wuthering Heights - Hayley Westenra’s version.

Much better than the high pitched screech of Kate Bush, but that’s just my opinion

• RMweb Premium

a lot of Zeppelins early tracks were old blues songs. Have you heard this version 

Indeed they were and it caused them a bit of litigation in later years.

As a Zep fan, I have to say that's pretty good, thanks for posting that.