Best small tank loco for slow running?

If you are only using one loco at a time or are happy with fixed isolated sections then DC is or analogue is fine.

But if you want more realistic park a loco anywhere you want , more than one moving at a time , etc then DCC is the way forward I am afraid.

There is room for both set ups in this hobby. It what your happy with .

What I have found is that loco's that I would dismiss for running qualities on DC when fitted with a DCC decoder and tuned using the CV'S have become good performers.

• RMweb Gold

You can get the Hornby Pug to run slow, by pulling the wheels out a little.

Sorry, probably being stupid, but could you explain that.  Can't see how or why and surely the wheels would be out of gauge and cause derailments?  This is more likely to be my lack of understanding than anything else, so a bit of elucidation would be most educational...

If anyone can get the Hornby Caley Pug or GW 101 to run slowly without a total rebuild they must be a genius.  The 1960s Nellie Polly Connie with the X04 motor ran much better at slow speed. The Triang TT single start worm which is a straight swap improves it even more, and a Romford gear set is either a straight swap or needs the motor lugs filed out siightly, can't quite remember.  and the MW005 5 pole X04 clone fits.

Later shiny wheel Nellies had the scalextric can motor and a useless increase in top speed to Mach 0.45 from Mach 0.3 and best not to be touched even with someone else's barge pole.

The 1960s Triang Westminster etc controllers were half wave at low speeds and great for shunting but so don't get too impressed with tales of slow running Jinties etc..   They were also rubbish at medium speeds where they suddenly switched to full wave and the trains went  off like a rocket.

Equally there is little wrong with the Triang Dock shunter with a scale speed range from 2 - 200 mph, and that can have the 5 pole K's armature shortened to fit and single start TT worms,  (I'm still plotting one with one single start worm one twin start and knurled wheels as a rail cleaner/ grinder and one with outside cranks and rods)

To be honest most shunting seems to be far too slow, shunting locos are quite crude and observation at preserved railways suggests 10 mph seems a more natural speed than 3mph walking speed. Even easing up to stock takes a lot of care from the driver.

I have a 60 to 1 geared Ks Chassis, computer motor Airfix Pug which is nice and slow and always ends up going flat out when shunting, and a 60 to 1 geared Wrenn gronk which also seems to go everywhere flat out, so I guess the answer to the question is modify something or wait for the Hornby Peckett.

• RMweb Gold

The GWR Holden 101 0-4-0T and Caledonian Railway 0-4-0ST were entirely new models produced in 1978 and 1980. The only thing they have in common with Nellie is the wheel arrangement.

Jason

I stand corrected, Jason.

Archived