Best small tank loco for slow running?

I'm getting stuff together to make a start on my first layout for 30-odd years and would very much appreciate some loco advice.  This is 00 gauge, small end-to-end, industrial with a hint of light railway, and set round about the mid-1950s - mid 60's.  Stock will eventually be two short locos, trains of no more than 5 wagons + BV, and perhaps some kind of railbus/railcar or SWB coach.  Track is mainly Peco code 75 but with some setrack 1st rad curves behind the scenes, and control is Gaugemaster analogue.

The loco I have so far is the Model Rail Sentinel Y3, with which I am very happy indeed on account of its awesome slow running.  But what could I get by way of an 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 tank loco which will run as well as that at low speeds?

I think most modern small locomotives are pretty good at slow running.

Just avoid the Hornby Caledonian 0-4-0ST, GWR Holden 0-4-0T, LMS Jinty, GWR 2721 Pannier Tank, LNER J83, inside frame 08 and 06 diesel shunter and you'll be fine. In other words anything in the Railroad packaging. Unless you want to break the speed record.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

The ultimate solution is to go for DCC and stay alive ( a capacitor bridges the moments when the engine is loosing contact, for instance on dirt or a point)

I use that on several locos since years, the first one I converted just when this feature was rather new (year 2000) and I wrote a thread on Arnold Huebsch's ATW, he is working together with Zimo and this thread was also Zimo website for several years.

Today the thread is still on the ATW Website. And no fear, it is in German and English language :rolleyes:

Decoders have developed, and today it is easier to add capacitors. On some decoders today all the necessary parts are integrated, only a capacitor is needed. Just study the decoder manual to see if a certain model can do it or not.

I recently tried this loco - which was by the way manufactured by Lima - means not such a super performer - a few weeks ago on the MKMRS 00 layout, it still runs lovely and manages all the points without stopping even in creep speed of a few centimetres per minute.

Jus to add - I purchased a used class 08 loco (Hornby, no preparation for DCC - means rather old) and put a decoder in it - it runs very well - but under a certain speed it stops at every point. I will add some capacitors into this loco and if works nicely I will describe it in this forum.

The ultimate solution is to go for DCC

Not for me it isn't :no:

I can get my Sentinel to creep along reliably at speeds I never thought possible when I last had a railway, and that's with a basic Gaugemaster analogue controller.  For all I know, DCC might somehow improve on that (though I doubt it), but budget considerations aside, it offers nothing that I need. 

All I need is another small loco that can be expected to run slowly and quietly without any major intervention from me.  I still need to do more research on the suggestions already made on this thread, so I live in hope ...

• RMweb Premium

both tried - no way back for me. DCC is way better on slow speed and light locos.

But I don't want to convince anybody.

Main thing is to enjoy the hobby!

All the best

Vecchio

Jus to add - I purchased a used class 08 loco (Hornby, no preparation for DCC - means rather old) and put a decoder in it - it runs very well - but under a certain speed it stops at every point. I will add some capacitors into this loco and if works nicely I will describe it in this forum.

I bought a Hornby 08 with DCC Sound on board, it runs superb at any speed.

On speed step 1 it crawls along very smoothly. I timed it - 22 seconds for the wheels to turn one revolution.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing to say about the slow speed behaviour of the loco, also mine runs very smooth - it may be that the points at our club layout are not laid properly (now I will be beaten up by the fellow members of the MKMRS tonight ...).

Also I am sure that the loco I bought is a different generation to yours. I don't know if they changed anything at the mechanics but I wouldn't be surprised.

This is what I bought.

30136080656_03cd3aeeb2_c.jpgDSC03635

I put an old Zimo decoder in - if you ask yourself what is below this decoder - there are some lead strips.

But I think we should stop that discussion here as I don't want to ruin Spikeys thread by going off topic.

Model Rail Sentinel is very good.

I know ;)

... The loco I have so far is the Model Rail Sentinel Y3, with which I am very happy indeed on account of its awesome slow running ...

• RMweb Premium

The Beattie Well Tank from Kernow (was it a Dapol build?) was one of the first truly dead slow and beautifully smooth running loco's, straight from the box with DC, that I had. Recently both the Oxford and Hornby Radial Tanks have been excellent as has been the latest Hornby M7.

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Not for me it isn't :no:

I can get my Sentinel to creep along reliably at speeds I never thought possible when I last had a railway, and that's with a basic Gaugemaster analogue controller.  For all I know, DCC might somehow improve on that (though I doubt it), but budget considerations aside, it offers nothing that I need. 

All I need is another small loco that can be expected to run slowly and quietly without any major intervention from me.  I still need to do more research on the suggestions already made on this thread, so I live in hope ...

If you want something that's small but is a reasonable model of something (i.e. not in a Railroad box) and with good shunting ability, what about a Hornby Hunslet Austerity saddle tank, aka J94?

I've had a couple over the years and driven several belonging to others; all have been very good performers.

John

• RMweb Premium

I found the Kernow (DJM) 02 0-4-4T Tank to be the best, smooth running loco l ve bought. I confess there is a little transmission noise, but amazing running straight out of the box and it getting better with use.

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

Well, my Bachmann 57xx arrived this morning and a very nice it is too.  Thanks for all the suggestions, gents!

don't forget to start a thread so we can follow your layout build. :)

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

If you want slow speed and are up to building a kit I would highly recommend anything from the HighLevel catalogue. http://highlevelkits.co.uk

Good for 00, EM or P4. Usual disclaimer applies.

Cheers,

David

Just the job for my defunct Mainline 57xx; thank you most muchly, darknigh!

• RMweb Gold

Avoid any of the older Hornby 0-4-0s, which have their roots in the Traing 'Nellie' and are powered by the same motor and gearset used in Scalectrix racing cars, with a performance to match, despite which 'Smokey Joe' and the like are still on the market.  IMHO and the above apart, the best slow runners are older productions with cast block chassis and open frame motors with worm and cog gears, with the added advantage that one could further improve the slow running with replacement gears from Romford.

Modern conventional wisdom is for plastic gear trains to control the final drive of very fast and free running motors, which can be produced from cheaper materials and with lower tolerances than the old style, there idea being to keep costs down; that said, some are very good indeed.  My Bachmann 64xx is ok but there are better performers in terms of slow speed.  It sometimes has a bit of jerk starting bunker first.  It is not ideal for a shunting layout anyway unless converted to 74xx, itself more at home on weight restricted branch freights than urban industriality (not sure that's a proper word).  It is fine for auto work, though.  Over 50 years ago I owned a Triang Jinty which would take 10 minutes to cover a foot, and that on a crude Triang controller; some of the old 'toys' were pretty good in the mechanical sense!

Archived