009 catenary layout- tram loco

Been tidying up the plan which is fine and trying to do a few things in Templot Sketch board (with Limited success)

009_screen_shot_2.pdf

As you can see a roundy roundy fold up layout, station at one end of the scenic section, warehouse and quay at the other, town centre in the middle. The station will be a 2 platform  one (beyond my limited skills to add another) I have 3 buildings at the moment with another 6 on order, so how many will be used, where and in full or half relief yet to be decided.

The track plan is about right now with what I want, just need to perhaps do a mock up on the scenic side to see how cluttered it is, and what can go where. The need is to hide both exits, another alternative would be to model half the station length, with the other half behind the backscene

Edited by hayfield

post-1131-0-88377000-1476740895.jpg

In between other jobs just trying to copy a small radius point. The problem with flatbottom rail is both having to file the foot of the rail back and putting nicks in the rail where bends are required. As the turnouts on the layout will be built to the radius required by the curved track, rather than the radius of the points determining the radius of the curved track this is a good learning point and saves me a tenner

Letter box was sadly quiet today, still busy on other maters

Finally the letter box has been rattling the past 2 days, yesterday the pantographs arrived along with 5 building kits, today the 2 Kato chassis and the A1 models Box cab loco body

post-1131-0-70082200-1476869141.jpg

The panto graphs are a work of art

post-1131-0-74555500-1476869149.jpg

The A1 body is quite pleasing and in fact better than I expected, only down side is the body fitting which is simply a glue affair, but I have a couple of ideas forming about both fitting the body to the chassis and perhaps a roof adaption.

Still this will be at the moment a stop start build as have too many other things on the go

• Like 2

post-1131-0-19916600-1476887919.jpg

Soldering iron was out, so both seams were soldered together, it sits on rather than over so a couple of simple locating bars are needed for the chassis

post-1131-0-05059200-1476887925.jpg

No roof yet as I need to drill the 4 holes for the pantograps, so a bit of clear tape holds it in place

post-1131-0-95189600-1476887935.jpg

Looks promising and happy with the concept

• Like 5

It will also mean having masts much closer together to allow for the narrow pan head. A TT or HO pan would probably fare better.

That type of Pan would have carbon strips, possibly a bit high-tech for some Narrow gauge. The nearest UK prototype I can think of is the Porthmadog, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway, whose locos would have used Bow collectors.

Conti-kits might be a good source for other pans, the last time I saw their stand they had quite a stock of the more of the unusual ones from the Sommerfeldt range.

Is it your intention to use the N gauge Pan...? It gives the Boxcab a bit of a squat appearance of something meant for limited clearances, such as a small factory or underground mine.

This whole project is developing by accident rather than a structured plan. Firstly we moved house earlier this year, at the moment I have limited modelling space until I build an extension to the back and side of the house next year, so a small fold up layout seems ideal

Having a couple of 009 locos and a bit of rolling stock and seeing a small N gauge fold up layout gave me the idea for a small narrow gauge roundy set up. After being on holiday in northern Italy in September on the stretch of coast line below Genoa, as well as last year (with a trip on the Bernina) and travelling to and from by train with both return journeys through Switzerland I enjoyed both the mixture of gauges, houses in Italy right up to the railway, so given all these things plus I have come by some N gauge masts recently, I thought rather than do a British style narrow gauge layout I would try something Continental

As for how it looks I have not even put any masts over the loco yet. I am not trying to copy anything, but I must say I am getting the looks that I thought of being rather old school than the more modern single arm type

It will also mean having masts much closer together to allow for the narrow pan head. A TT or HO pan would probably fare better.

I think TT masts would be better, the masts look about right at 5" or 6" spacing's, as for the pantograph its the look I am after

I suppose a H0 pantograph would be the right size - as I wrote earlier - road crossing contact wire height is the same for narrow or standard gauge.

Very nice little model!

I am using low cost easily available items, I bought a pair of chassis for £25.43 inc postage and the Panto graphs were £5.90 post free (both direct from Japan) and the body was £9.99. This test piece is on purpose a low cost venture just to see if the idea works. If not it will be a steam and diesel layout and I have wasted £6 on a pair of pantographs. I can re-sell the masts if I don't use them and perhaps tone sown/ Anglicize the buildings

That type of Pan would have carbon strips, possibly a bit high-tech for some Narrow gauge. The nearest UK prototype I can think of is the Porthmadog, Beddgelert and South Snowdon Railway, whose locos would have used Bow collectors.

Conti-kits might be a good source for other pans, the last time I saw their stand they had quite a stock of the more of the unusual ones from the Sommerfeldt range.

Thanks very much but this is far too technical for me, Its a bit of a fun layout and that's all. Having said that a holiday where we stayed on the old Wharf at Porthmadog got me into buying some 009 and (far more) 0-16.5 stock

What I can say to you all is thank you very much for both the interest and suggestions, please keep them coming. I have some ideas for other motive power, alterations I can do to this loco and about using masts. But I am not quite at first base yet. The layout will be fictitious, will be in a restricted space, I have a selection of buildings that need fitting in place, a baseboard design which limits what I can do. Above all its a bit of fun and fantasy

Thanks again for all the interest, if these masts are usable I will need some assistance with a simple wire design, if not second choice will be simple poles 

• RMweb Premium

Hi, I found here a picture of a 700mm electrified narrow gauge line, the Mariazeller Bahn. This should show how oversized the pantograph looks on a narrow gauge locomotive.

Have fun with your build!

Vecchio

oebb-1099-009-1-mariazell-07022003-34062

• Like 1

Thanks for the photo and suggestion, but it is what I call "Main Line Narrow gauge" and if it were not for both the price of the stock and having space to do it justice I would love to do something with the Bernina type stock/size. If I were buying new (and I might still do so if it works) I think TT scale would look better

I am going for something (stock) on a very much smaller in size as the larger stock in my opinion would look out of place on a 4' x 3' tail chaser. Also whilst it looks right to those in the know, for those of us in the dark these N gauge ones I think look more in balance with the small loco. However thanks to the photo I think some added extra detailing parts need to be fitted to the body

post-1131-0-88895700-1476959518.jpg

I could not resist a quick glance of it next/under to the masts

post-1131-0-66792300-1476959527.jpg

Clearly a simple system with a wire just below the arm, height is also an issue.

post-1131-0-63464900-1476959535.jpg

To me its definitely worth going on to the next step, a simple plank with a few arms and wire, the posts will be needed to be lifted 10 mm at least (on concrete or brick supports) The body needs fixing to the chassis with the panotgraph fitted to the roof and roof fitted to the body.

Must buy some cheap s/h track (N or 009) just to build a straight section

What colour livery to chose is another thought as brown is a bit plain, still that's a minor detail 

• Like 1

Hi, I found here a picture of a 700mm electrified narrow gauge line, the Mariazeller Bahn. This should show how oversized the pantograph looks on a narrow gauge locomotive.

I assume that's a mis-type, it's 760mm gauge!

It's not the only 760mm electric line in that part of the world either, there's the 760mm roadside tramway in Slovakia...

http://www.trezka.sk/index.php/o-nas-trez/historia

A Faller station building arrived in the post today, not what I really wanted but other than paying a (in my mind) fortune was all that was available. Its in two parts and I think it will be separated into 2 bits and may not even be used as a station building, on the other hand it could fit the style of being small and minimalist, also its a bit Alpine(ish) in style whilst I am going for a more low land style.

Next up will be as I said laying a length of track to test the catenary idea. Need to do the roof on the loco first and have a fitting to attach the body to the chassis

Corbs

Thanks for the link and had a quick look at a longer one, yes this is similar to what I have in mind with more of an urban setting

Managed to get another station building. It may be a bit too large and grand, but gives an alternative to what I have

On a loco without bogies, surely the pan should be centrally mounted to give minimum deviation from the track  centre?????

Joseph

The roof has a slightly off centre grill plus looking at the position of the side grills on the body, above one set of wheels would be favourite, I would have thought looking at the long wheelbase the centre of the loco would have the most deflection from the centre of the track. In the end its freelance and within certain boundaries anything goes

Thanks for the observation and all comments and suggestions are very welcome

Edited by hayfield

• 2 months later...

Months have gone by and other projects have taken their place at the front of the queue, however with a lul in modelling over the Christmas period and most of all remembering to buy some impact adhesive a bit of time to progress the idea became available

post-1131-0-59835800-1483351602.jpg

I stuck some 1.6 mm plastic strip ( with impact adhesive) to both ends of the chassis block which is enough to hold the body to the chassis. Once all painting and detailing has finished I will attach the body with something like Uhu or Copydex so the joint can be broken easily

post-1131-0-65876900-1483351619.jpg

I then made 4 holes  the roof to hold the Pantograph, then soldered the roof (the wrong way round) to the ends & sides

post-1131-0-83638000-1483351636.jpg

Anyway a quick (visual) dry run on track with the masts in place, next up will be a larger plank perhaps with a turnout on with cork trackbed etc and something to raise the masts

The fronts/ends of the loco needs a bit of detailing, a couple of items like lamps, jumper wires. May be a bit of roof furnature, will need to source some photos for ideas

Still a nice little loco for just over £20, will buy another plus one which goes of the short bogie chassis, thinking of painting the body apple green

• Like 1