009 catenary layout- tram loco

Just taken delivery of some 4 mm scale masts, the more I look at the 2 mm size ones whilst they are a tad too short look to my eyes to be nearer the correct proportions. I may either buy a set of 3 mm scale masts or make my own mock up. Just looked at the TT gauge sizes on Sommerfeldt site and not too much bigger (was expecting 50% larger), but about the size I was thinking of. May make something out of some scraps, or buy a few bits at Stevenage (H channel and wire) to build something around 3 mm scale with 4mm/009 clearences 

Just taken delivery of some 4 mm scale masts, the more I look at the 2 mm size ones whilst they are a tad too short look to my eyes to be nearer the correct proportions. I may either buy a set of 3 mm scale masts or make my own mock up. Just looked at the TT gauge sizes on Sommerfeldt site and not too much bigger (was expecting 50% larger), but about the size I was thinking of. May make something out of some scraps, or buy a few bits at Stevenage (H channel and wire) to build something around 3 mm scale with 4mm/009 clearences 

You can get an idea of what can be achieved building your own if you observe the layout 'Netherwood Sidings' during your visit to Stevenage. Although 7mm scale and Woodhead based, its basic OHE construction method can be applied to any scale or prototype with appropriate tweaks. If Eileen's Emporium are there at the show (they usually are) they should have all the bits you need.

• 1 year later...

Last Christmas three of us were asked to decorate a Christmas tree at the local parish churches Christmas tree festival

post-1131-0-97469600-1539861137.jpegpost-1131-0-18594100-1539861885.jpg

Top circle was N/009 track

Middle circle was H0m

Bottom was 00-0 16.5

It went down well and we were asked again to repeat the excersize, last year was a bit of a rush plus leaving it till the last week to get going. This year we intend to make a bit more effort. The tram ran but was in an unfinished raw state.

A friend wants to use the top circle for N gauge, so I thought I might do a 2 tier centre section with both 009 and H0m and leave the lower level to 0-16.5

So I thought I would finish the loco (well locos as I have 2) 

post-1131-0-67801200-1539861085.jpeg

I delved into my spares box and found a few bits to detail the ends and top

post-1131-0-90183000-1539861092.jpeg

I think the plastic parts were from a loco detail pack, with 00 cast lights and hangers

post-1131-0-88718300-1539861100.jpeg

Just been primed, now what colour, either post box red (to match the Bemo) or electra blue

• Like 2

As I had the airbrush out and had found some LNER garter blue I thought I would give them a quick spray

post-1131-0-68718700-1539880419.jpeg

I think white roofs and a bit of colour on the details will lift the colour more, (I must make a photo plank/shelf) if I don't like it I will have to pop down the model shop for an alternative (pantograph not fitted properly into its holes yet)

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

The loco looks very like some modern Chinese-built mines locos! To me it shouts ‘battery/OWE’ combined, which is not an uncommon format.

For OLE, masts could well be wood, 3mm dowel-rod, with contact wire and arms from guitar wire or similar.

A system such as you are devising would probably be 500 or 600V dc, and the wire height would be set so as to be ‘safe enough’, which might be as low as about 3ft above the vehicles, maybe even tighter, but would need to be greater at any road crossings.

Koppel actually had in their catalogues an OLE system for use in conjunction with 60cm gauge portable track, and even sold some, including at least one system in Britain.

This sort of system will only have a contact wire, no catenary wire, so much, much simpler than main-line systems. Crich or the Manx Electric have good installations, but both use fancy iron poles. Portal structures are unlikely, because it can all be done using simple span wires, which is a lot cheaper.

post-26817-0-69359600-1539883638_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

You might consider putting something inside that suggests either a Diesel engine, for an electro-diesel, or batteries, either of which need lots of fresh air. Blanking the grilles would be a bit of a waste of an opportunity - they are very nicely etched.

You might consider putting something inside that suggests either a Diesel engine, for an electro-diesel, or batteries, either of which need lots of fresh air. Blanking the grilles would be a bit of a waste of an opportunity - they are very nicely etched.

Good call, may look for some form of casting etc

Hi,

the loco is reminiscent of the electric locomotives built for the line between the aluminium smelter at Kinlochleven and a wharf on Loch Leven a mile and a quarter away with extensive sidings at both ends adding another 3 miles of track!.  Two were built by Dick, Kerr Company and were delivered in 1908 and were followed by a third on, built to a similar design by Metropolitan Vickers, 1947. The overhead line supplied 500 to 550 volts from the same plant that provided electricity for the smelter.  It was the first electric railway in Scotland, and lasted until 1960 when the track was dismantled.

Roja

Roja

A nice railway, with nice locos, but it wasn't the first electric railway in Scotland.

There were a couple of exhibition railways in the early 1880s, and the Carstairs House Tramway was a permanent line, even though it didn't last all that long on electric form (c1888-95 IIRC), and there may have been others of which I'm unaware.

This is more likely the first, but there may have been something even earlier https://www.edinburghtrams.info/the_first_generation_old_trams/edinburghs_1884_electric_tram

If you count battery traction, Scotland can lay claim to the first full-size, as opposed to table-top, battery electric loco, in 1842.

Regards Kevin

PS: a couple of good views of Kinlochleven OLE in this article - just the sort of installation that I'm advocating. http://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/industrial-railways.html

Edited by Nearholmer

Roja

A nice railway, with nice locos, but it wasn't the first electric railway in Scotland.

There were a couple of exhibition railways in the early 1880s, and the Carstairs House Tramway was a permanent line, even though it didn't last all that long on electric form (c1888-95 IIRC), and there may have been others of which I'm unaware.

This is more likely the first, but there may have been something even earlier https://www.edinburghtrams.info/the_first_generation_old_trams/edinburghs_1884_electric_tram

If you count battery traction, Scotland can lay claim to the first full-size, as opposed to table-top, battery electric loco, in 1842.

Regards Kevin

PS: a couple of good views of Kinlochleven OLE in this article - just the sort of installation that I'm advocating. http://railwaywondersoftheworld.com/industrial-railways.html

Hi,

thanks for the info!  I've never heard of the Edinburgh electric tram, let alone the Carstairs one!  You can learn something new every day!  Fascinating stuff!

Roja