Lubricant(s)

Sorry chaps, me again :rolleyes:   I've tried searching the forum but I can't find the answer to this, so ...

What do you people who know what you're doing use by way of a plastic-safe oil?  The paperwork with my Bachmann 57xx says "BachmannE-Z Lube 99984 or Woodland Scenics HL654", neither of which seems to be readily available at a sensible price online.

Something in a container which has a nice fine business end would be nice.

I'd advise buying the complete pack, somewhat over £20, WHL 650.

Now that may sound perverse, but it is a better value as it includes:

two greases which are much superior to oil for most axle and the like lubrication tasks, stays put and lasts for years

teflon and graphite powder, useful for much more than model railway applications

three oils of which the 'sticky' is very useful, and again for more than model railway use too.

You use so little, that it lasts forever. I am about half way through the ones I use most, at least twelve years since purchase.

I'd advise buying the complete pack, somewhat over £20, WHL 650.

Now that may sound perverse, but it is a better value as it includes:

two greases which are much superior to oil for most axle and the like lubrication tasks, stays put and lasts for years

teflon and graphite powder, useful for much more than model railway applications

three oils of which the 'sticky' is very useful, and again for more than model railway use too.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm afraid I don't know what "WHL 650" is but I already have all manner of stuff from Tri-Flow (both the oil and the grease!) to Castrol lithium grease via sewing machine oil and silicone grease, and I'm not a fan of graphite powder :)

I'm a big fan of Tri-Flow but it is petroleum-based.  For plastic gears, I'd be happier with a synthetic.

One in your list sets off the 'DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER! DANGER!! alarm. That is the Castrol Lithium grease, once very widely available and used; apart from regular automotive use, recommended for repacking bicycle bearings and thus commonly found on domestic premises. Definitely incompatible with common plastics used in model railways, I have seen two separate examples of quite large layout locomotive collections ruined by this stuff. Many plastics are 'modified' to the strength of chewing gum.

Sewing machine oil: never had a problem with that in the past, though have not used it on modern plastic gear trains.

I'm afraid I don't know what "WHL 650" is.

I think he meant this. 

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/Item/HL650/page/1

I have seen this used and mentioned by quite a few different modellers. 

http://www.hattons.co.uk/47180/Gaugemaster_Controls_GM619_Precision_Lubricator_needle_applicator_/StockDetail.aspx

Never use WD40 (a bodgers tool anyway), nor 3-in-one oil. I have also experienced problems with plastics when using Electrolube, though mine was fron an industrial spray can used at work. Perversely, Peco supply it - so there may be more than one variant.

One I used for many years was Duckhams Cycloil, my can lasted for years but I think it is no longer available (Duckhams taken over by Castrol?). I also used that favourite engine oil, Duckhams 20W-50, which has also gone. Was thicker and stayed put  better on open gears.

I've progressed to modellers' loco oil and white grease of late, bought whilst at Warley.

Stewart

One in your list sets off the 'DANGER WILL ROBINSON, DANGER! DANGER!! alarm. That is the Castrol Lithium grease, once very widely available and used; apart from regular automotive use, recommended for repacking bicycle bearings and thus commonly found on domestic premises. Definitely incompatible with common plastics used in model railways, I have seen two separate examples of quite large layout locomotive collections ruined by this stuff. Many plastics are 'modified' to the strength of chewing gum.

Sewing machine oil: never had a problem with that in the past, though have not used it on modern plastic gear trains.

Sorry, I obviously didn't make it clear that the lubricants I referred to are all used for other purposes therefore I have no need of any of the others included in that pack.  I wouldn't be happy using any of the ones I have about the place here, hence my question.

Labelle 108 - specifically plastic compatible.  Available in the UK from http://hamodels.net/labelle-108-synthetic-multi-purpose-oil.html

Read customer reviews on Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Labelle-Industries-Plastic-Compatible-Motor/dp/B001W8XD44

DT

Thank you sir.  That's the sort of thing I'm after.

Interesting (at least it is to me!) that nobody's mentioned the Bachmann stuff referred to in the bumph that comes with their locos ...

• RMweb Gold

I looked outside of the model railway box and came across this article...spookily toy trains aren't the only things that use plastic gears.

http://m.machinedesign.com/mechanical-drives/engineering-essentials-lubrication-tips-plastic-gears-and-more-part-2

I got a tube of silcon grease for the gears and Starrett tool and instrument oil (years old) for the rest.

KY.......

oh ...hang on...

wrong forum.

:P

Excellent stuff.

I used it for ultrasonic weld testing.

I would send the first year apprentices out to purchase a new tube for me.

It soon showed up those who had received an "education" and those who had not. :O

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Excellent stuff.

I used it for ultrasonic weld testing.

I would send the first year apprentices out to purchase a new tube for me.

It soon showed up those who had received an "education" and those who had not. :O

Bernard

:offtopic:

When I was joinery shop foreman at a workshop we had a milkman deliver each day,  I used to send the apprentices out to ask for a pint of Bulls milk, only one came back in having twigged, the others would say "He'll milk it later if I give him a hand"

Archived