A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I think you put the RH comps on the right and the LH comps on the left...

By that, do you mean that the RH comps are on the LH end of the RH coach and the LH comps are on the RH of the LH coach?  Or do you mean that the RH comps are on the RH end of the RH coach and the LH comps are on the LH of the LH coach?  But that would mean that the RH brake would be at the LH end of the RH coach and the LH brake would be at the RH end of the LH coach which isn’t how they’re supposed to work . . .

Oh, I give up . . .

Paul.

Not really trying to help in the first place.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

By that, do you mean that the RH comps are on the LH end of the RH coach and the LH comps are on the RH of the LH coach?  Or do you mean that the RH comps are on the RH end of the RH coach and the LH comps are on the LH of the LH coach?  But that would mean that the RH brake would be at the LH end of the RH coach and the LH brake would be at the RH end of the LH coach which isn’t how they’re supposed to work . . .

Oh, I give up . . .

Paul.

Not really trying to help in the first place.

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I think you put the RH comps on the right and the LH comps on the left...

Always happy to help.

Yes, thats exactly what I have done.

But the comps can be turned 180 deg, so there is a choice to be made.

From what little differences I can see, I think the choice is, do I group

the first sections together at the centre, or  the comps?

Must admit I've not yet looked at GWR.Org

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't immediately have the answer.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Yes, thats exactly what I have done.

But the comps can be turned 180 deg, so there is a choice to be made.

From what little differences I can see, I think the choice is, do I group

the first sections together at the centre, or  the comps?

Must admit I've not yet looked at GWR.Org

Good to know I'm not the only one who doesn't immediately have the answer.

TONY

Putting my serious head on (but not for too long) I don't know either, Tony, but if I had to guess I'd put the first-class sections together.

Regarding left- and right-hand, see this post:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Putting my serious head on (but not for too long) I don't know either, Tony, but if I had to guess I'd put the first-class sections together.

Regarding left- and right-hand, see this post:

Though I guess the 57' bow-ended suburban stock never made it to Cornwall?

3 minutes ago, Andy Keane said:

Though I guess the 57' bow-ended suburban stock never made it to Cornwall?

Well this is where I have an advantage, presenting a cartoon. (ie rule 1), But at an early stage

I did also refer to the layout having an alter ego - that of Helstonish on Severn.

To date I have tended to find it difficult to envisage the layout as being anywhere but Cornwall,

other than when I want to run some of my bigger locos. But one day I may get round to drawing

up a Severnside based History / Timetable, which might justify some of the loco's I've acquired.

(One work in progress is a spreadsheet of loco allocations for Bristol, Gloucester and Cornish

sheds from BR database, to highlight locos which spent time across more than one area of interest.)

The new rake will effectively at least upgrade the presentation, replacing an old mainline Midland

set as the regular non corridor working.

16 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Maybe somebody will be brave enough to replace the cab windows with glue and glaze?

You are probably right, although thats unlikely to be me. I'm not that brave.

I will probly fix the other irritation that I omitted from the above. ie the steamheat pipes

which vaguely point horizontally under the buffers, front and back, which will need

"clipping" to a bracket on the buffer, I think.

TONY

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Well this is where I have an advantage, presenting a cartoon. (ie rule 1), But at an early stage

I did also refer to the layout having an alter ego - that of Helstonish on Severn.

To date I have tended to find it difficult to envisage the layout as being anywhere but Cornwall,

other than when I want to run some of my bigger locos. But one day I may get round to drawing

up a Severnside based History / Timetable, which might justify some of the loco's I've acquired.

(One work in progress is a spreadsheet of loco allocations for Bristol, Gloucester and Cornish

sheds from BR database, to highlight locos which spent time across more than one area of interest.)

The new rake will effectively at least upgrade the presentation, replacing an old mainline Midland

set as the regular non corridor working.

You are probably right, although thats unlikely to be me. I'm not that brave.

I will probly fix the other irritation that I omitted from the above. ie the steamheat pipes

which vaguely point horizontally under the buffers, front and back, which will need

"clipping" to a bracket on the buffer, I think.

TONY

I have gone for the older Hornby R4319A / R4319B coaches which are not so nice but I think probably did run to Helston.

Andy

1 hour ago, Andy Keane said:

I have gone for the older Hornby R4319A / R4319B coaches which are not so nice but I think probably did run to Helston.

Andy

Yes I do have a pair in BR Maroon as the "normal" branch set, plus about half a dozen choc/cream for GW running or future detailing/improving. Although all of these are pre Hornby versions inc my 1st pair of Airfix original issue.

TONY

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Yes I do have a pair in BR Maroon as the "normal" branch set, plus about half a dozen choc/cream for GW running or future detailing/improving. Although all of these are pre Hornby versions inc my 1st pair of Airfix original issue.

TONY

Yes, I've got several too plus a number more waiting to be Cometed into other types of 60' BE stock.

This is a great resource for B Sets of all types, including allocations:

http://www.gwr.org.uk/b-set-notes.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

The gwr.org lists shows E14014076445 + 6446 as Helston No.1 with the Helston No.2 set being formed a lot later. It makes me wonder what were in use before the diagram E140 carriages were used on the Helston branch. I iuhave a rake of the recent Hornby four wheelers I will run out when I finally get track working but they would have been much earlier I think. So intriuged if anyone knows what came just befeore the E140s as the "Helston sets"

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

A sidetrack for comment, especially if you know anything about signalling.

Copied here is a note from my club, re signalling for the layout  we, well they, in my absence

are working on.

Gents,

I've been taking some time while away to make a signalling plan for Gloucester London Road and have come up with the attached diagram. These are my proposals. The station gantry is under way anyway and the smaller one for the approach on the 'Up Main' is in situ without signals at the moment. 

1393753871_2022_02_05_GMRCLayout_SignallingProject.jpg.120c4d76a0c02bc75c8fb379625144c5.jpg

This was just to get some sort of plan in place based on my own understanding from what I've learned so far, also with some of Bill's help. I'm not sure about the two signals with feather type route indicators (on the far sides exiting the station) but at least wondered if two 'starters' might be appropriate before the gantry - perhaps with the shunt signals attached instead of at ground level in those cases. The route indicators might be too much given that there are already Theatres on the gantry a bit further on. For the main platforms I though the little 'OFF' indicators were appropriate ahead of the gantry - Banner Repeaters probably unnecessary in those instances. However, I thought one on the 'Down Main' might look good as an advance to the three aspect signal (around the curve at the tunnel entrance). The rest are ground signals, two of which are 'yellow/white' instead of red/white to allow for off main shunting.

Of course, if I've cocked all this up I'm sure I'll hear soon. Let me know if you have other ideas guys or see any glaring errors. Plan attached in JPEG file. Apologies if I've missed anyone out or sent to someone I shouldn't on the distribution.

I've not yet got my head around it, beyond No need for shunt sigs in sidings areas, as they are handlever operated. Just required out into station area.. My general impression is that there are perhaps more than we need e.g. not needing a home before the tunnel.

Will try to have a proper look later, but would appreciate any input from you guys,

Many thanks

TONY

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yet again, I had intended posting sooner.

The photographers have managed to capture some unusual workings in the past quiet

period, so will try to post.

An unusual visitor brings in an engineers working, hope thats not bad news.

1779587138_DSC_1489(2).JPG.9a13b19da0770d3fdba5d63f1784bdce.JPG

647608872_DSC_1493(2).JPG.fd4d263597d8f3146a0901924739b7d5.JPG

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 6

Sorry last post hiccuped and was sent, before I finished.

A couple more pics (one before wasn't intended) then I'll try to make the laptop behave better, next time.

1166248439_DSC_1492(2).JPG.8120db4a8ab55a22f4ba9685e01c88a6.JPG

And the work underway

467425192_DSC_1496(2).JPG.1d0897b5eb31ad4b7ca7f56022d88939.JPG

I'll try to be back soon, honest

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

O.K. I’ll be the first to bite!

Steam shed so pre 1968: 2 aspect reading into the platforms will be R/G. (R/Y was early 80s after Paddington sleeper derailment.)

Correct about fewer shunt signals - just one out of the shed sidings and one out of the sidings on the other side.  But don’t throw them away yet!  You need one on the Down Main at the toes of the trailing crossover to get locos etc back in.

No route indicators on any of the platform starting signals - there’s only one way out - onto the Down.

Bottom platform (shed access): signal needs a yellow aspect (RYG) plus two white lights to go on shed.

Top siding: either RYG plus white lights, or R/W shunt.  I think yellow shunts here would be too messy for operating.

Now onto the stuff that depends on services and timings and stock.

If it’s all long distance, locos on shed after every train, not that frequent a service, then signal by the tunnel could well be just R/G.

If there are a lot of MUs with a few loco hauled and it’s a very frequent service, then keep the yellow.  I like the banner - adds a nice touch.

However, if it’s local and loco hauled (Jazz service) then you might need to get a loco out and back in while another train is departing.  So that would add a Limit of Shunt (LoS) on the Up.  I would be inclined to bring the home signal further in with the LoS behind it.  Add another signal on the Up or pretend it’s just the other side of the bridge.  Add white lights to the inner home to call-on on top of the train in the platforms.  Platform starting signals need white light to read to the LoS.  Probably route indicator on bottom platform and top siding to differentiate between LoS and sidings.

Plenty to think about.  Are you sure it was wise to put this in Helstonish, you know what us signal engineers are like: you’ll be off topic for ages!

Paul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

Paul - many thanks for your response, which has been passed on, and included in the

discussion re the next update. Although as I'm not in attendance it is tricky engaging in

the discussion. Will try to keep you in the loop, but may need to take it to PM rather

than publicise it in detail here.

There were other notable visitors to the branch, as captured by our locals:

First we see 1365 from a spell on trial working the Portleven goods, here

running light  to the harbour in the early morning light.

478812877_DSC_1503(2).JPG.3e2c6a7dd68e8dca4e19ae05deb29017.JPG

And on the loaded return -

DSC_1507.JPG.14d9ac4a44dea5b15fae70567193bd0c.JPG

For those who are not entirely familiar with the cartoon history of the area, although the branch was not extended to the Lizard, it did gain a sub-branch to the harbourside at Portleven. in order to lose height this

lightly laid and steeply graded line left the Helstonish branch from a junction facing the terminus, and decended the Cober Valley (?)  to gain the harbourside from the North.

2133547662_DSC_1508(2).JPG.12a2c70df2fa189e4b6d929af7fce06a.JPG

And arriving, with the engineers awaiting departure, at the end of their works.

123543367_DSC_1510(2).JPG.da9729caae9110079b7a45902818e0c4.JPG

Whilst 1365 has departed, to return to Huckford Road, there may be pics of it's visit, still to come.

As far as the model is concerned, there is now a version of the "timetable", which includes the Portleven

goods. But at present there is no hard version, added to the layout. This may yet happen,, if/ when a proper

rebuid of the fiddleyard occurs, but this is some way down the line.

Meantime I have spent time improving the line-up of the FY approach, and most stock / locos handle it fine. But there are some who dissent, however I do seem to have got a  Dapol Fruit D, kindly (?) passed on by Clive M, to make a clean exit. By replacing its errant wheelsets, with ratio plastic ones. (But how ridiculous that Hornby/Bachmann alternatives simply fall out, due to differing axle lengths!)

Ironically 1365 wont handle the oblique join, so at present, is not suited to the Portleven trip.

But I can promise further good news, as the upgrade to available stock continues. Details when

the transfers occur, (tentatively 24th March).

Meanwhile, I would welcome any suggestions, for upgrades that might enhance the layout, and how

they might be achieved.

All thee best from a very windswept caravan.

TONY

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Paul - many thanks for your response, which has been passed on, and included in the

discussion re the next update. Although as I'm not in attendance it is tricky engaging in

the discussion. Will try to keep you in the loop, but may need to take it to PM rather

than publicise it in detail here.

There were other notable visitors to the branch, as captured by our locals:

First we see 1365 from a spell on trial working the Portleven goods, here

running light  to the harbour in the early morning light.

478812877_DSC_1503(2).JPG.3e2c6a7dd68e8dca4e19ae05deb29017.JPG

And on the loaded return -

DSC_1507.JPG.14d9ac4a44dea5b15fae70567193bd0c.JPG

For those who are not entirely familiar with the cartoon history of the area, although the branch was not extended to the Lizard, it did gain a sub-branch to the harbourside at Portleven. in order to lose height this

lightly laid and steeply graded line left the Helstonish branch from a junction facing the terminus, and decended the Cober Valley (?)  to gain the harbourside from the North.

2133547662_DSC_1508(2).JPG.12a2c70df2fa189e4b6d929af7fce06a.JPG

And arriving, with the engineers awaiting departure, at the end of their works.

123543367_DSC_1510(2).JPG.da9729caae9110079b7a45902818e0c4.JPG

Whilst 1365 has departed, to return to Huckford Road, there may be pics of it's visit, still to come.

As far as the model is concerned, there is now a version of the "timetable", which includes the Portleven

goods. But at present there is no hard version, added to the layout. This may yet happen,, if/ when a proper

rebuid of the fiddleyard occurs, but this is some way down the line.

Meantime I have spent time improving the line-up of the FY approach, and most stock / locos handle it fine. But there are some who dissent, however I do seem to have got a  Dapol Fruit D, kindly (?) passed on by Clive M, to make a clean exit. By replacing its errant wheelsets, with ratio plastic ones. (But how ridiculous that Hornby/Bachmann alternatives simply fall out, due to differing axle lengths!)

Ironically 1365 wont handle the oblique join, so at present, is not suited to the Portleven trip.

But I can promise further good news, as the upgrade to available stock continues. Details when

the transfers occur, (tentatively 24th March).

Meanwhile, I would welcome any suggestions, for upgrades that might enhance the layout, and how

they might be achieved.

All thee best from a very windswept caravan.

TONY

I love your layout - it really spurs me on to get something laid on my station boards so I can begin some traffic movements. I am spending too much time on the fiddle yard at present.

Great pictures.

Andy

• Thanks 1

Andy - many thanks for your comments, it does me good to hear that I am hitting the mark,

well enough, at times.

I do feel that, on reflection, I rather lost my way in the 2nd year of the virus, and was not too

productive.  Especially given the available time, whilst hiding away.

Hopefully I can address this, and indeed I do feel more positive, since the acquisition of the

16xx and non corridor set. Plus there are a couple of locos arranged for transfer, but these

may be upgrades, rather than additions.

I do also think I would benefit from a bit of pushing and prompting, from my friends on here.

So any suggestions for things that might be added, or improved really would be welcomed.

Your post really did give me a lift, so once again THANKS.

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Here we find another trial working, with a view to excursion workings to follow

61xx arrives with the "new" non corridor set.

1760992917_DSC_1513(3).JPG.44f61c0f55250c76fbd8e3a8afca69e0.JPG

And an Ivatt 2mt Tank arrives with the ecs of the "normal" excursion set, to date. These will be transferred to Helston on Severnside.

201680525_DSC_1516(2).JPG.b2270b9e5f96eac72e7e9fa6078c6753.JPG

On another topic, I note this morning, that I am to get a chance to compare my 94xx that , that was featured here a while back, with the real thing. 9466 is moving back to the WSR for the remainder of its boiler cert.

ie 2 years. Good news.

TONY

Edited by Mulgabill
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Tony

I am very jealous of your yard crane - I am hoping to get one but no luck so far.

I also have a trip planned to Helston towards the end of March to visit the site and also the local museum. I am hoping to see if they have any pictures not to be found elsewhere.

Have you ever been through what they hold?

Meantime Jakub is cutting me the parts for my attempt at the station building.

regards

Andy

2 hours ago, Andy Keane said:

Tony

I am very jealous of your yard crane - I am hoping to get one but no luck so far.

I also have a trip planned to Helston towards the end of March to visit the site and also the local museum. I am hoping to see if they have any pictures not to be found elsewhere.

Have you ever been through what they hold?

Meantime Jakub is cutting me the parts for my attempt at the station building.

regards

Andy

Yes Andy the 6 Ton crane is one of the past years highlights. At the time it cost more than most of the locos

on the roster.  But the investment also marked the start of  my aiming to improve on what had been achieved

so far. That has in part contributed to a degree of disappointment, in that bits have been undone, and not entirely replaced. But these will get done, and at least progress has been made of late.

With regard to Helston Museum, my wife and I did visit, pretty much as the layout was started. But I was not really prepared to maximise the info collected. It was more a case of of being aware of Keith Gowans 3mm layout, and needing to see it. The reality was that I found that to be excellent, if a little "tired". There was also

a 2mm version, but a bit more rtr in style. Also we viewed what was on display relating to the railway, which was interesting, but I don't now recall many specifics.

At the time I didn't think of enquiring about other resources, or photo's. In certain respects I think we visited

almost too early in the journey of building the layout. I would certainly have had more questions once we had the basic trackwork down and into the scenics.

Maybe the chance will arise to revisit, with the time to do some studying. I will certainly be interested in, and value your thoughts on, your visit. Particularly any info re the rabbit van, both how it worked etc, and what van(s) were used. I've also not pinned down the right hoppers for the serpentine traffic, but thats not reaally a museum question.

I have been following your layouts development with interest, but I'm afraid the details re DCC etc go over my head, as I am unlikely to venture down that route. I am looking forward to your getting the automatic FY working, as that will be most impressive.

So keep up the good work, and keep in touch.

TONY

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst away at the caravan last week I came across an item of possible interest, in an emporium.

PC Models

57' Toplight

Brake Composite Corridor

Diag E95

1927 livery (?)

Marked at £30

I don't know whether this is a good price, and frankly I suspect the kit is beyond my present

capabilities. Hence it was left on the shelf.

However it would be nice to find it a good home amongst the RM Web community, so if this is

of any interest, please let me know.

TONY

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Whilst away at the caravan last week I came across an item of possible interest, in an emporium.

PC Models

57' Toplight

Brake Composite Corridor

Diag E95

1927 livery (?)

Marked at £30

I don't know whether this is a good price, and frankly I suspect the kit is beyond my present

capabilities. Hence it was left on the shelf.

However it would be nice to find it a good home amongst the RM Web community, so if this is

of any interest, please let me know.

TONY

Tony

Looks interesting - but I have to say I have not yet thought about building coaches. So far all I have done is purchased some Hornby RTR to give my locos something to haul for passengers.

I have looked at six wheeler kits but as yet have not jumped in - too many other things to do at present.

regards

Andy

• 1 month later...

Just an acknowledgement that Helstonish has survived the RMW Hiatus, but updating and back dating

may take a while.

Prior to the apocalypse, we had our own disaster, in the 2nd storm (who's name I forget) a rogue

wave drenched No2 Daughter and myself, but more importantly my camera. It survived a few

hours, allowing downloads of the days breaking wave pictures, but refused to play the next day.

This incident seems to have been terminal. So new pics will have to await  alternative arrangements.

The outage also coincided with the commencement of another new layout, at the request of 2 grandsons.

This will probably be written up on the Huckford Road topic pages, although it is as yet unnamed.

For info it is approx 9'4" x 9' and app 22" wide  i.e.L shaped. 2 fiddle yards app 3' long have been built,

plus 4 baseboard frames and some legs.

The building of legs continues, their mountings will follow, and then we'll turn to 9mm ply for the beds.

I am instructed that this will be a transition period layout, to include a (feature) bridge, and dock/harbourside.

Think Fowey + a potential Porthleven Harbour, but I could do with an extra 1-2' on one leg to help get around the 90deg corner.

Any suggestions welcomed, and any thoughts or comments to keep this active also.

Cheers

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Just an acknowledgement that Helstonish has survived the RMW Hiatus, but updating and back dating

may take a while.

Prior to the apocalypse, we had our own disaster, in the 2nd storm (who's name I forget) a rogue

wave drenched No2 Daughter and myself, but more importantly my camera. It survived a few

hours, allowing downloads of the days breaking wave pictures, but refused to play the next day.

This incident seems to have been terminal. So new pics will have to await  alternative arrangements.

The outage also coincided with the commencement of another new layout, at the request of 2 grandsons.

This will probably be written up on the Huckford Road topic pages, although it is as yet unnamed.

For info it is approx 9'4" x 9' and app 22" wide  i.e.L shaped. 2 fiddle yards app 3' long have been built,

plus 4 baseboard frames and some legs.

The building of legs continues, their mountings will follow, and then we'll turn to 9mm ply for the beds.

I am instructed that this will be a transition period layout, to include a (feature) bridge, and dock/harbourside.

Think Fowey + a potential Porthleven Harbour, but I could do with an extra 1-2' on one leg to help get around the 90deg corner.

Any suggestions welcomed, and any thoughts or comments to keep this active also.

Cheers

TONY

Tony

I do hope you have the time to rebuild Hestonish as I very much value all the images. My thread has now been largely done but its a small list compared to yours.

best wishes

Andy

• Thanks 1