A Cartoon of Helston(ish)

Mulgabill

The observant will have noted that I have succeeded in reinstating a few pictures, working

backwards in time.

I will continue this, as time allows, but please let me know if there are any that you would

particularly like sooner.

By way of "news", yesterday we traveled to the caravan, via Heaton Lodge Junc (near Evercreech

Junc, this weekend). I expected a large, overhyped, layout. We found a stunning example of what

we strive for, well worth the time, money and effort to see it. If you've seen pics, or videos,

my impression is that they come over as a bit bland and washed out, the real thing is far better

than that. Both myself and Mrs MB think it is well worth making the effort to see this.

Plus we had the bonus of Bournemouth West, Evercreech New, Wimborne and a couple of other

layouts. Also got a L&Y Pug from Ellis Clarke for a reasonable £20, doesn't really matter how well

it runs, as it's far better condition than the example I already have. Also got a Scale link GWR

Footbridge kit.

How did we follow that - we went to Somerset Railway Modellers "exhibition" at Washford, saw

some more good layouts, including Bradford on Tone (Hornby Mag Apr 22), all belonging to the

club. And what a great welcome, such a friebdly bunch. We also managed to meet up with DonW

from on here, which was great, and bought about 6 modelling books. So it's been a good

weekend all round.

All I need now is a camera!

Cheers

TONY

• Like 7

• 3 months later...
On 08/08/2022 at 18:48, Andy Keane said:

Tony, how is Helstonish?. I rather miss seeing pictures of movements around your layout to keep me motivated.
regards

Andy

Andy thanks for the prompt.

The last few months seems to have been a constant , recurring, round of Dr's, dentist etc,

appointments. Sometimes relieved by work on the grandsons layout. (Baseboards and tracklaying).

That at least has progressed, albeit slowly, and we are now on the verge of wiring.

We have also become volunteers at the West Somerset Rly, (Blue Anchor).

All of the forgoing means that the railway room has rather been a few passing

visits, usually to get tools, or materials.

I read your post yesterday, as we packed to return from the caravan, and intended to respond

promptly  from home. 24hrs later is the first chance! Having been told grandsons were going to see

Britannia or Braunton on the mainline. Hence todays visit to Glos Model Railway Club got canned, and subsequent dinghy races also fell to an enthusiastic pairs visit, to Helstonish.

However this means  I can report all was pretty good at probably the fist proper running session

in about 4 months. (If I ignore some problems with derailing on the fiddle yard approach).

The boys both took many pics of the session, which I have not had a chance to download, but

I will share some, once I have them.

I have not as yet sourced a camera, to replace the one wrecked in the storms earlier in the year.

Once i have seen yet another Dr who will report to DVLA, hopefully  I will still have driving license,

and the shorter days will bring more modelling time.

Meanwhile I am consoled by the fact that I can, from tomorrow, at least try to help somebody who has a post covid DVT. Not good if you are a farmer, and can now barely stand, even with crutches!

Meanwhile do keep posting re your Helston, I love to see the care and enthusiasm you bring to your

project, even if the electronic stuff goes way over my head.

All the best, to you, and all who pass this way.

TONY

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Andy thanks for the prompt.

The last few months seems to have been a constant , recurring, round of Dr's, dentist etc,

appointments. Sometimes relieved by work on the grandsons layout. (Baseboards and tracklaying).

That at least has progressed, albeit slowly, and we are now on the verge of wiring.

We have also become volunteers at the West Somerset Rly, (Blue Anchor).

All of the forgoing means that the railway room has rather been a few passing

visits, usually to get tools, or materials.

I read your post yesterday, as we packed to return from the caravan, and intended to respond

promptly  from home. 24hrs later is the first chance! Having been told grandsons were going to see

Britannia or Braunton on the mainline. Hence todays visit to Glos Model Railway Club got canned, and subsequent dinghy races also fell to an enthusiastic pairs visit, to Helstonish.

However this means  I can report all was pretty good at probably the fist proper running session

in about 4 months. (If I ignore some problems with derailing on the fiddle yard approach).

The boys both took many pics of the session, which I have not had a chance to download, but

I will share some, once I have them.

I have not as yet sourced a camera, to replace the one wrecked in the storms earlier in the year.

Once i have seen yet another Dr who will report to DVLA, hopefully  I will still have driving license,

and the shorter days will bring more modelling time.

Meanwhile I am consoled by the fact that I can, from tomorrow, at least try to help somebody who has a post covid DVT. Not good if you are a farmer, and can now barely stand, even with crutches!

Meanwhile do keep posting re your Helston, I love to see the care and enthusiasm you bring to your

project, even if the electronic stuff goes way over my head.

All the best, to you, and all who pass this way.

TONY

Tony

thanks for all your news - grandsons are clearly a boon. Mine is only two but is already fascinated by a loco trundling about making noises so I have high hopes! As yet he does not seem to care about scenery which is good since I don't have any fixed down yet.

looking forwards to seeing your latest pics

Andy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 10/04/2022 at 06:43, Mulgabill said:

The observant will have noted that I have succeeded in reinstating a few pictures, working

backwards in time.

I will continue this, as time allows, but please let me know if there are any that you would

particularly like sooner.

Hi Tony,

having had two recent prompts to visit / look thru your site I hope if you'll excuse a suggestion from a newcomer. It would be a great help to have a few pics populating the early pages so I can get a better sense of your project and plans. I appreciate that a lot else is occupying you, I know the feeling!

Best wishes,

Colin

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1