DBS Job Losses

mainly Celsa and Thamesteel, have concentrated on stuff like rod and bar. The production of each of these plants has been in the region of 1 million tonnes each per year, in comparison with Port Talbot (around 5 million). 

As an aside.

I was informed at the recent Cardiff Show that Celsa have full order books for the next four years.

That doesn't include the proposed Swansea Bay barrage.

Whether the order book includes a nuclear power station being built within sight of the Celsa Works, I cannot say.

Brian R

Usually it's not a "loan", the company will quantify the cost of training and have a sliding liability (eg. 100% of costs if you leave within the first year then dropping until the liability ends) of costs which you agree to pay back if you leave. By accepting the role and training you accept the associated liability to repay training costs. Five years is a long time, I've found two years to be more typical. There is nothing sinister about this and in a sense it is a lot less onerous than funding a course of higher education in which you do actually have to pay for the costs of your learning (even if tuition fee loans spread the payment over a long time and keep monthly repayments down).

3 or 6 months notice to leave is also becoming quite common as another way of keeping hold of drivers.

• RMweb Gold

FNW/ATW was a 5 year 'golden handcuff' before you could leave for another company

When I joined Chiltern I was told unofficially that they would like 3 years out of me to get training costs back, I ended up doing 3 1/2 years with them, I felt that as they were good enough to take me on after fastline went bust by giving me a job at marylebone despite the possibility of me leaving for somewhere closer to home then I should uphold my part of the deal too

Regards the job losses I do hope the guys and gals at DB get sorted one way or another

Archived