Iowa Central Railway

JAMO

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Tom.

Your photos are great!

I like especially this one:

gallery_27876_4070_94397.jpg

...and the A&M Alcos!

Southern black and white scheme is nice! The high nose GP-30s look big engines.

Thank you to share.

I see this picture and for some reason, Alan Jackson immediately springs to mind. Cannot think why :D

• 4 months later...

After a long silence because of my health, others activities, holidays and two exhibitions, etc........... Here I am again. :locomotive:

I've changed my mind about the workbench of this layout.

I need this layout will can go to some exhibitions.

So I've to changed the trackplan (simplification needed) to permit the tracks will have a place on the baseboards.

:mail:

When I have decided of the "definitive" track plan, I'll show you the photos here. Sorry for the delay...

;)

Meanwhile I'm planning a modified trackplan, I've began to build my two boards for the layout.

I use pine wood, screws and chairs brackets to build the boards. I took advantage of this sunny afternoon to begin the work.

I've tidy up my old miter saw...

post-27876-0-05199200-1507827637_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-31493900-1507827652_thumb.jpg

When possible, I've cut 4 pieces of wood stripes to save time and to obtain exactly the same length...

post-27876-0-93982800-1507827661_thumb.jpg

One board is still completed... I've obtained a strong wooden baseboard. :locomotive:

post-27876-0-42416400-1507827669_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-58248000-1507827674_thumb.jpg

post-27876-0-90256600-1507827679_thumb.jpg

;) I'm happy of my afternoon!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after some time of checking, asking, thinking, I've found an interesting trackplan (not the best) for the boards.

post-27876-0-67065300-1508946119.jpg

I've began to modify the left part to add a left hand turnout to drive to the spurs.

It's a #5 code 100 rail turnout.

On the photo just below, I've exchanged the #6 against a #5 turnout. I keep the #6 for deviations on mainline.

post-27876-0-08175800-1508946222_thumb.jpg

I've adapted the new installed #5 for the curvatures: a "S" shape.

post-27876-0-65013700-1508946237_thumb.jpg

Hope you'll enjoy to see the progress of this modified project.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Most interested in what you’re doing, Jacky, I’ve found the same need to make a line that’s more compact and simpler. Hopefully I’ll be able to explain over on my thread in a few weeks, you’re well in front, and looking good already.

• RMweb Gold

Am I right in thinking that where you gave used printed circuit board ties, you have removed the copper coating except where the tie plates would be? If so, that’s a very clever idea.

Yes, it's a good idea.

My idea is to add styrene parts to help the rails to keep the good shape because of the weight of the locomotives' wheels like on the prototypes.

I'll keep your idea for the next layout ! Thank you.

Wow Jack, taking a hacksaw right across all the rails like that was brave!!!  :scared:  :O

Oh no Jordan, I've cut the rail with a Dremel and a disk before to use this huge saw. The "metal" saw was just used to cut the "wood".

Edited by JAMO

• RMweb Gold

I think you would like to say "fous" (mad) and not "Ford Focus" :jester:

There is a difference between what I typed, and what was auto-corrected.

Enjoy this one. There is a UK company called Model Railway Developments, and their exhibition stand, adverts, business cards, promotional literature all carry the logo MRD...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You’ve seen me parking my car for the Winchester show! Looking at the hacksaw picture again, I must admit that I would never get a saw to cut as straight and true as that, can I say “ ils sont ruse”?

Ils sont rusé comme Monsieur le Renard?

Hien, quel panache!

• Like 1

There is a difference between what I typed, and what was auto-corrected.

Enjoy this one. There is a UK company called Model Railway Developments, and their exhibition stand, adverts, business cards, promotional literature all carry the logo MRD...

I know this problem when I write with my smartphone in English: all the words are modified into french ones. 

MRD... for us: MeRDe... merde = s.h.i.t. :sarcastichand: :)

Edited by JAMO

• RMweb Gold

I know this problem when I write with my smartphone in English: all the words are modified into french ones. 

Well, it’s how a lot of our words started...

...a lot though, are the result of applying Norman French spelling to Germanic words, which destroyed the phonetic spelling then in use.

I mention this, so that next time you hear one of your countrymen complaining about the English language, you can remind them that the mess was largely the fault of the French-speaking aristocracy. ;)

MRD... for us: MeRDe... merde = s.h.i.t. :sarcastichand: :)

And emmerdé means in the...?