RMweb

The Dark Side is calling me....

So a GP60 won't fit.

Not that it stopped me running a GP60 in a post 1996 paint scheme with 40 footers...

There still are 40 footers on the rails today, but they're all highcube. If OP has a brewery, something like BLMA's Beer Cars would be the most appropriate for a modern layout, they're 62', so the layout may need to be stretched. That's the main problem with small modern layouts, all the cars are really long.

http://www.blmamodels.com/cgi-bin/webstore/shop.cgi?ud=CQcFBAEMAAMCBxQUEBEcHAAHAQcFAQAECQkTEQAA&storeid=1&searchtext=mu&cols=1&&c=detail.htm&t=main.htm&itemid=Bx-166HO-1

I haven't really thought about era. I guess as it's a small layout, 40' or 50' Boxcars are ideal for this layout, and I suppose other than the major breweries are no longer rail served. So I guess 50s and 60s period would be perfect.

So how would an EMD GP35 figure? Is the Athearn or Kato model the best?

A GP35 would good . They were built in the 60s, so would be for that period or later and you could you use 40ft  or 50ft freight cars with roof walkways.

The Kato model is very old but back in the day it was a fine model. I bought one second hand in 1998 and it was a very smooth runner. I sold it only last year and it fetched a good price.

post-7898-0-18509100-1477931200_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

On the other hand, GP35s were new in the '60s and would therefore be mostly used in mainline freight. Not to say that they were never used in switching, but it wouldn't be standard. For what you've got I would go with a GP7/9 if you want a Geep or an end cab switcher ie SW1, NW2, SW8/9/1200, S2/S4. Any of those would be typical. This sort of industry would typically be switched by the equivalent of a pick-up goods (way freight in American). The power used often depended on the distance from the larger yard, if it's a short branchline running from the yard to the brewery, an end cab switcher would be very appropriate.

The Bachmann GP9 looks a lot better than some of their stuff, I can't comment on the prototype specific details. Does anyone know what they run like?

You would probably want to swap out the couplers for Kadees and maybe detail the pilots (bufferbeams)

• RMweb Premium

I would suggest buying from a UK supplier the US prices look good until you add postage and a VAT charge. Secondhand American HO is available on ebay .co.uk and that is where most of my stock is from. Some of it will be going back there soon as I have bought some silly stuff... 

I usually buy from Modeljunction.info in Slough (they don't come up on google very easily, don't get them confused with the shop in Bury St Edmunds). They offer a facility to import stuff from the Walthers website, though that's subject to the exchange rate and you don't know for sure what the cost will be until they've imported it - but you only pay the once and they handle the import process.

Gaugemaster have quite a lot listed, but much of it isn't in stock so be sure you understand their way of telling you that.

Invicta have a bit listed, but I've never used them so I can't vouch for them.

EBay has quite a lot too, just filter it for stuff that's in the UK, or learn how to tell what's abroad. I bought some stuff from Rails of Sheffield's eBay shop, so presumably they stock some things.

Hi there,

Obtaining US stock in the UK seems quite problematic now, I still get some items from Trainworld NY, http://www.trainworld.com/

Beware their website is not the easiest to navigate and if you get interested in anything, check the scale! You don't want to end up with something in crude Lionel 0 scale for example!!! (If you're hunting for H0 scale, obviously).

Shipping is about as fair as it comes nowadays and of course, beware the import duty you WILL have to pay plus £8 handling fee etc, etc.

Nevertheless, you can still save a lot of money over Model Junction and (especially) Gaugemasters prices.

Now that the classic UK outlets are closed or retiring, the remaining 'cheap' options may well be ebay.co.uk (private sellers), swapmeets or NMRA meets. An outside chance is Ebay.de (Germany) from private sellers but shipping is usually about €17 or so. No import duties to pay though (for now.)

As for a good, solid switcher, how about this;

30691472895_45d380d5d6_c.jpg

An Atlas analogue model with Kato drive (the best!), a mere £22 from Anoraks Anonymous (Sophie) a year or so ago. http://anoraksanonymous.weebly.com/

It's very heavy, short and runs like a dream!

Cheers,

John.

PS In the interests of fairness, Geoff & Alison at Contikits also have pretty good prices and selections of secondhand: http://www.contikits.com/ 

Note: you will have to email them to find out what US outline they hold!

Edited by Allegheny1600

My GP60 is an Athearn RTR loco. On DC it runs really nicely, though I haven't used it since I bought some DCC stuff and my only comparison at that time was pancake motored junk from the 90s...

Though I would happily buy some more stuff from that range. If you can get it for sensible cash from a local shop then I would suggest you do just that. Others here will have a better idea what they're worth, but my brand new Athearn RTR GP60 cost me about £80. Maybe I got a great deal, maybe I got ripped off (I felt happy enough at the time though).

I think I'm in love:

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-HO-Alco-RS3-RI-p/bac-64209.htm

Is the Bachmann model as good as the Athearn?

Also, I'm looking at various wagons do other railroad companies wagon get mixed up and end up on others? So for example I could have 1 from New Haven, 1 from ATSF, and 1 from Union Pacific in a consist?

Finally, when did these wagons enter service?

http://www.modeltrainstuff.com/Bachmann-Silver-Series-HO-Center-Flow-Hopper-Shell-p/bac-17534.htm

I really appreciate all the suggestions and advice guys, thank you.

In a word, yes. Most railroad cars travel all over the country. In fact, I have ATSF, New Haven and Union Pacific on my layout.

Where you are placing the layout plays a key part in which railroads appear most often. TYS is set in Chicago, so most of the cars are from predominantly Chicago based railroads (CBQ, CIM, CNW etc).

But, I can also run Union Pacific and New York railroads (Reading, New Haven, New York Central).

Edited by Robatron86

I can't do a comparison myself, but I would expect the Bachmann model to be less good than the Athearn, but that doesn't mean it won't be good enough. I have a Bachmann RS3 coming (Great Northern orange/green), so I'm hoping it'll be good! That Rock Island paint job is tremendous, and I (like many) have a soft spot for The Rock.

Why didn't I see that?  :senile:  :fool:  :banghead:

Its also says 'New 12-65' and  'BLT 2(?)-65' on the side of the model. Cars are periodically reweighed and the date of this will be added somewhere on the side so it looks like this one is in the period between being new and being reweighed.

There's some more about his kind of stuff in this thread http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82578-boxcar-markings-and-alterations/

Edited by Talltim

Thanks guys for all your advice it really appreciated. The classes I've been looking at are:

Alco RS2 or RS3

EMD SW1000

EMD GP9

EM GP15

Are these all suitable for a Switching layout?

As I own examples of all of these here is my twopenath. Atlas for the RS3 cheap as chips 2nd hand, one of the first locos Atlas upgraded so all blackbox models will have 8pin sockets for DCC. Nothing wrong with the early yellow box models for reliabilty just moulded on grab rails and no DCC socket. The Atlas black box GP7/9 is another good runner, weighs about 100cwt as it has a very heavy chassis, been around awhile so good 2nd hand choice. Bachmann GP7/9 and their RS3 and S2/S4 are good but lack any grab rail detail, sound equiped locos are Tsunami decoders with a few CV's disabled. Athearn for the SW1500/1000, plenty of 2nd hand choice even the old bluebox offering was good and the current RTR rates very highly(one of the best in my opinion). Bowser Stewart do a detail up grade for the bluebox model. I have 3 GP15's from Athearn Genesis and all had issues of wiring quality from the factory, loose broken wire from the bogie is common, it's an expensive model but detail is superior to the Walthers model. Walthers/Proto switchers are all good but pricey new. Everyone of these models would be seen in switching duty either from the class1 RR's, shortlines or as lease locos. Edited by w124bob

More playing around with Anyrail has lead me to this:

post-7128-0-70946200-1478161315_thumb.jpg

I do like the look and idea of the Carfloat by Walthers.

One of the things I like about Overseas modelling is the variety of building kits available, sadly lacking in the UK market. 

• Like 2

After a bit of liaising with Mrs Wollastonblue, the Brewery switching layout would look nice set up in our bedroom apparently. 

I have been looking at Boxcars and Reefers, and was wondering if this was too early for a 1950s/1960s layout:

http://www.ebay.com/p/MTH-R40-2-Woodside-Reefer-Car-Schott-Brewing-Company/1037220862