Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Dark Side is calling me....

Now I have found a bargain, but I would like to know peoples opinion on the Bachmann CSX GP40 model. I've found one at a certain UK retailer for £34.95. 

Are they any good?

Nah - avoid!! I had a Bachmann Geep once, bought DCC fitted when I was just starting with DCC, so I had something to check things against. The Bachmann trucks are mounted very high up in the body and can produce a distinct 'wobble' effect to the body - far from realistic for a 120-ton Diesel. Motor was noisy, too.

Go wild and splash out on an Atlas loco; even their cheaper 'Trainman' range will be far, far better than Bachmann.

On the other hand, it's not that hard to spend £35 on a passenger/ freight car.

If you want something just to get going it might be a decent bet, you won't get anything wonderful for that kind of money. It really depends what your budget is whether that's a good use of money.

• RMweb Premium

Having bought a range of locos from ebay Bachmann is somewhere in the conference league compared to Atlas in the first division. Premiership stuff is beyond my budget... I have bought too many locos but I will be ebaying 2 Atlas locos and 4 Bachmann of which 2 will be RTR and two are now spares or repairs. An idea of how well they hold their value can be seen on ebay prices.    

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some Swiss stuff to get first for Shaunbachdorf. Hoping that Kato do some other RhB items too in the future. But in the mean time, I also like the look of this:

http://malcsmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=197_303_317&product_id=8135

They also have some Con-Cor MP15s in stock too.

Osborns have this too: http://www.osbornsmodels.com/walthers-mainline-910-19554--ge-dash-8-40bw-wide-cab-santa-fe-no574-dcc-sound-33882-p.asp

Aaaarrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh the choices involved with US modelling.

• RMweb Gold

In terms of an MP15 I suggest you look at the late

Thanks for the advice guys. I have some Swiss stuff to get first for Shaunbachdorf. Hoping that Kato do some other RhB items too in the future. But in the mean time, I also like the look of this:

http://malcsmodels.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=197_303_317&product_id=8135

They also have some Con-Cor MP15s in stock too.

Osborns have this too: http://www.osbornsmodels.com/walthers-mainline-910-19554--ge-dash-8-40bw-wide-cab-santa-fe-no574-dcc-sound-33882-p.asp

Aaaarrrrrrrggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh the choices involved with US modelling.

In terms of MP15s I suggest if your budget permits you look at the later models from Atlas (MP15DC) or Athearn (MP15AC)

The Gensets have also undergone improvements with the second generation having much finer handrails etc - worthy looking around

Chris

I've just realised that this thread was started 3 months ago and the OP still hasn't bought a US loco!

Perhaps it's time to stop procrastinating and move to the Dark Side. You won't regret it!

Edited by Alcanman
  • Like 1

I've just realised that this thread was started 3 months ago and the OP still hasn't bought a US loco!

Perhaps it's time to stop procrastinating and move to the Dark Side. You won't regret it!

I've got a load of stuff to put on eBay, so once that's sold and I've bought my Allegra, Glacier Express Coaches, and Bernina Coaches. It'll be time to look at the HO stuff.

I've got a load of stuff to put on eBay, so once that's sold and I've bought my Allegra, Glacier Express Coaches, and Bernina Coaches. It'll be time to look at the HO stuff.

For one horrible moment then, I read "Allegro"....  :scratchhead:  :O   :nono:   :jester:

• 3 months later...

It's been a while since I last bounced an idea around on this topic. A lot of google searching lead me to the wonderful Carendt site. The highland terminal provided me with a lot of inspiration. So a play on Anyrail has led me to this:

post-7128-0-31669700-1494581353_thumb.jpg

Invicta models seem to have a nice selection to look at, and i really like the look of the Athearn GP50 in Burlington Northern with tiger stripes. Along with 50ft boxcars, reefers, tanks, hoppers, and gondolas. This looks a great plan for a lot of operation.

Would a GP50 be OK for switching such a yard in say the 1970s/80s?

• Like 1

The GP9m locomotive that you posted never ran on the Santa Fe and they never ran geeps in that paint scheme. Many model companies run paint schemes on models the railroads never owned.

HOWEVER, many American short line railroads ran paint schemes that were known as "Tribute" paint schemes with their own lettering.

Another route to go is to buy a locomotive and either remove the lettering or paint/patch over the lettering and apply their own railroad's logo or lettering.

• 3 weeks later...

Railpictures.net has provided me with a lot of food for thought. This photo has really caught my eye:

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/314729/

I really like the look of the Genset locomotives particularly in BNSF, UP, CSX livery. Am I right in thinking the reefer behind the loco on this photo is a 64ft Trinity Reefer?

More ponderings have come and plays on Anyrail have led me to this plan:

post-7128-0-18891700-1496409627_thumb.jpg

Key to Cars:

Yellow - Genset

Turquoise - 50ft Boxcars

Orange - 64ft Trinity Reefer

Purple - 3800ft3 Cylindrical Hopper

Pink - 62ft Gondola

Black - 55ft Tank Car

This plan is based on using 3 APA boxes similar to my Swiss layout. They are easy to build, and store when not working on or running trains.

Any feedback or advise is always gratefully received.

just one thing to watch out for are those points they look like setrack  in the plan?, Gensets are a little longer than  Gp's, they many not like them, also some of those 60'+ freight cars may cause problems, would recommend medium points as a minimum. 

Ray

• 1 month later...

Well I have taken the plunge and pre-ordered the new Atlas Genset with Sound in CSX livery. DCC makes the layout I'm proposing a lot easier to wire. I have had a play with the track plan and come up with this in Peco Code 83 HO with #5 switches:

post-7128-0-86159200-1499335567.jpg

Staging would have to be in the form of cassettes, but I can live with that as I mean I can get more locos  :good_mini: and bring in cars from other exchange yards.

As alway any advice and feedback is greatly received.

Hello Wollaston blue,

like the look of the last layout-any dimensions? the top right hand siding looks a bit of a sqeeze though-enough for a GP40 plus one 50' car?

Presume the orange square is where the cassettes go? Glad about your 'conversion'-you wont regret it!

regards

Paul

Hello Wollaston blue,

like the look of the last layout-any dimensions? the top right hand siding looks a bit of a sqeeze though-enough for a GP40 plus one 50' car?

Presume the orange square is where the cassettes go? Glad about your 'conversion'-you wont regret it!

regards

Paul

Hi Paul,

It's 3 APA style boxes together which give you approx 7ft x 1ft, I have a similar set up for my Swiss layout. I have removed the loco and car. But I have put all the car spots on now. I don't have room really for a permanent layout at home. So these are ideal for storing away, when not being built or played with.

post-7128-0-42091100-1499337175_thumb.jpg

• Like 1