Bachmann Warship

neal

I take the view that those fixing screws are not "out" until they're in my hand.  I've had a few moments where I wondered how on Earth the body came away from the chassis on;y to find the screw needed just that extra little bit of a turn .....

If the Mainline one is still in working order and runs nicely on the track it's offered then keep it rolling.  I find it ironic that those locos have probably run for longer since new and on more days (in some cases) that their real-life counterparts.

Virtually any Mainline one will now have split its final gears (the ones on the axle) making the running even worse. Ultrascale did sell replacement brass ones (not checked recently to see if they still do) which are like for like replacements.

• 8 months later...

Does anyone know the status of Bachmann Class 42 model 32-062, which is shown in the 2013/14 catalogue as 810 Cockade is weathered BR blue?

I can't find it in the new catalogue, and it's no longer in the products section of the Bachmann website.

Is it like the 1F, stuck in limbo between print deadlines and production schedule delays, or has it been ditched, like the green D11/2 and the Class 70 with sound?

Don't bother waiting for it. The Bachmann body is wrong for D810 (and all others below D813).

Geoff Endacott

Ah... oh well. I'm not even 100% sure I could tell the difference between a Class 42 and a Class 43, but now that I know 810 would be wrong, perhaps I'll give it a miss.

• RMweb Gold

Don't bother waiting for it. The Bachmann body is wrong for D810 (and all others below D813).

Geoff Endacott

Am I correct in thinking that the reason is that they were originally delivered (1958/9) with disc code rather than 4-character end boxes ? Never considered this would make a difference to the overall body shape,though.

Am I correct in thinking that the reason is that they were originally delivered (1958/9) with disc code rather than 4-character end boxes ? Never considered this would make a difference to the overall body shape,though.

Hi, Ian!

Yes, the first ones had folding disks, but also ex- GWR-style three digit reporting number frames built in. 

Whether there were other visible detail differences, I don't know, but probably someone else will be along soon who can tell us!

An 'early' one with stencil frames and disks rather than 4-character blinds would please me!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Discs on early locos were correct - and no difference I am aware of once they were removed and headcode blinds fitted - but the difference Geoff alludes to is that up to 812 locos were fitted with a different train heating boiler and had a large central circular vent between the two cooler group grilles on the roof.

Kind regards

Phil

There were other differences.

The main grilles on the earlier locos were divided into two; later locos had three-part grilles.

Earlier locos had the filler pipes plated over; later ones had them open. If you look below the nameplate at the centre of the valance, just below the builder's plate, there is a square(ish) opening on the later batch. This was covered on the earlier locos.

The valance can be changed by using a little bit of filler, but I haven't yet worked out how to sort out the grilles.

The Bachmann model is correct for the batch D813-32 with three exceptions.

D818 had a different boiler and therefore different vent.

D830 had a Paxman engine and various external differences as a result.

D832 had (and still has) Class 43 style roof fans.

That leaves the Bachmann model to do D813-17, D819-29 and D831. Many of the Bachmann releases have been (incorrectly) outside this range.

Geoff Endacott

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Ian!

Yes, the first ones had folding disks, but also ex- GWR-style three digit reporting number frames built in. 

Whether there were other visible detail differences, I don't know, but probably someone else will be along soon who can tell us!

An 'early' one with stencil frames and disks rather than 4-character blinds would please me!

Richard

Yes,Richard,I well remember those,with their clip-fit assembly for W.R. reporting numbers. I have a nice conversion of D811..an e bay purchase,several years ago,complete with

The main grilles on the earlier locos were divided into two; later locos had three-part grilles.

Earlier locos had the filler pipes plated over; later ones had them open. If you look below the nameplate at the centre of the valance, just below the builder's plate, there is a square(ish) opening on the later batch. This was covered on the earlier locos.

The valance can be changed by using a little bit of filler, but I haven't yet worked out how to sort out the grilles.

That leaves the Bachmann model to do D813-17, D819-29 and D831. Many of the Bachmann releases have been (incorrectly) outside this range.

Geoff Endacott

Geoff Endacott

And D830 was,I believe,rated to deliver 2,400 h.p.as opposed to 2200 for the rest of the class.Reminds me,this thread does of the summer of 1959 when they didn't always appear as you expected them to....failure rates were high.There were but 9/10 in traffic in any case and the NBL D 600 and early D 6300 's redefined the word "unreliable".Plenty of steam to Plymouth and points west still....including

9F's on Saturday extras.

Yes,Richard,I well remember those,with their clip-fit assembly for W.R. reporting numbers. I have a nice conversion of D811..an e bay purchase,several years ago,complete with

And D830 was,I believe,rated to deliver 2,400 h.p.as opposed to 2200 for the rest of the class.Reminds me,this thread does of the summer of 1959 when they didn't always appear as you expected them to....failure rates were high.There were but 9/10 in traffic in any case and the NBL D 600 and early D 6300 's redefined the word "unreliable".Plenty of steam to Plymouth and points west still....including

9F's on Saturday extras.

Those were the days, my friend! Oh yes, those were the days! and "Ah! I remember them well!"  Can't sing them, but I can quote them! 

They were the days of my first fortnight's school camping holiday at Dawlish - the three spotters in the group rarely went onto the beach, but were equally rarely away from the Prom during our free time. Probably could be termed our first WR-maxi bash!

Memories, memories!  They say we can't scale time, and non-modellers think you can't turn back time, but we know better, don't we! Perhaps the main reason why I'm a modeller!

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Those were the days, my friend! Oh yes, those were the days! and "Ah! I remember them well!"  Can't sing them, but I can quote them! 

They were the days of my first fortnight's school camping holiday at Dawlish - the three spotters in the group rarely went onto the beach, but were equally rarely away from the Prom during our free time. Probably could be termed our first WR-maxi bash!

Memories, memories!  They say we can't scale time, and non-modellers think you can't turn back time, but we know better, don't we! Perhaps the main reason why I'm a modeller!

Richard

Mine was a family holiday in Looe.A long trip before the days of the Severn Bridge,from South Wales via Gloucester and theA38 in a Ford Anglia.A couple of trips to Plymouth via the branch to Liskeard.Counties were much in evidence on the Paddington trains that fortnight...August 1959.The highlight was the arrival of Warship D806 on the down "Riviera".It detached the dining car portion and then went forward with the rest of its train to Penzance.A through working from Paddington....revolutionary!

The other Warships seen were D800,D802 and D808 .NBL representatives being D604 ,D6300/2/3&4....the latter working in multiple with concertina connections fully operative.

I had but to wait another year for my true Warship fest....at the end of Temple Meads during my stay at University...when I "copped" them all....sadly to the detriment of my studies...but that,as they say,is another story.

Just had e-mail from Hattons.

Class 42 Warship 810 Cockade (Weathered) BR Blue 32-062 Now Cancelled by manufacturer.

Shame was looking forward to that.

Maybe Bachmann have been reading the above post's and realise that the number/ID chosen will end up on the wrong body shell.

Will have to wait for more info from Barwell I suppose.

Hopefully they'll pay more attention in future, as the model can still hold its own amongst newer releases...if only they'd stick to the prototypes noted above by Geoff.

The worst example of this had to be the long running BR Blue release of D870 Zulu, the real thing being unique in having a very obvious roof cowl to house the horns.

Archived