Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Scottish Region GUVs

I'm looking to renumber a rail blue BR GUV and would prefer one that is branded for Scottish Region. However, despite looking through quadrillions of photos I can't see any that had a ScR 12345 style number.

Can anyone point me to a reference source on GUV numbering? Or a photo that will put me out of my misery?

Thanks,

James

Looking through RCTS Coaching Stock books and Platform 5 books between 1976 and 1985 there is not one GUV listed for the Scottish Region. During 1985 Craigentinny started to get some GUVs but regional letters were being phased out at this time. By 1987 the only GUVs at Craigentinny were Motorail ones.

In addition there are only about 3 to 4 BGs on the Scottish Region in any one year between 1976 and 1985 as well. They obviously used all the other regions parcels vehicles as required.

• RMweb Premium

Bearing out the previous comment I was a member of a John O' Groats - Lands End cycle ride one year which used rail transport from and to the London base. An additional BG was included for the bikes on the Euston - Inverness sleeper and which was then added to the Far North train which already included the regular one.

One the return south from Wick / Thurso the coupling at Georgemas produced the uncommon arrangement of two passenger coaches on either end of two BG's in the middle of the train! I don't have the stock numbers to hand now but of the BG's one carried a Sc-prefix number while ours was an M-prefix one. Both were still running around Inverness many months later on my next visit but not in the same train.

I also noted Sc-prefix BG's quite regularly on both Far North and Kyle workings from Inverness over many years from the late 60's which were probably the same few vehicles every time.

Never ever saw a GUV with an Sc number which also supports the comments above.

Bearing out the previous comment I was a member of a John O' Groats - Lands End cycle ride one year which used rail transport from and to the London base. An additional BG was included for the bikes on the Euston - Inverness sleeper and which was then added to the Far North train which already included the regular one.

One the return south from Wick / Thurso the coupling at Georgemas produced the uncommon arrangement of two passenger coaches on either end of two BG's in the middle of the train! I don't have the stock numbers to hand now but of the BG's one carried a Sc-prefix number while ours was an M-prefix one. Both were still running around Inverness many months later on my next visit but not in the same train.

I also noted Sc-prefix BG's quite regularly on both Far North and Kyle workings from Inverness over many years from the late 60's which were probably the same few vehicles every time.

Never ever saw a GUV with an Sc number which also supports the comments above.

Comprehensive reply there about Scottish Region BG's Gwiwer - 'cept the OP was asking about GUVs rolleyes.gif

Nope sorry Wizard, there were none in the BR Blue era as far as I can find out - you could opt to use one from Lot 30402 (M86521-86560 & W86561-86654) the only vehicles constructed within the BR Standard range at St.Rollox in 1958 - though they'll just look like any other one...

- you could opt to use one from Lot 30402 (M86521-86560 & W86561-86654) the only vehicles constructed within the BR Standard range at St.Rollox in 1958 - though they'll just look like any other one...

You mean they didnt have tablet catchers, snowploughs and tartan curtains :blink: :lol:

Archived