Finnish countryside in 1930's

ATT

• RMweb Premium

Well, the way I have got to know the RMweb community and their highly diverse modelling interests, I'm sure I'm not alone in definitely being interested in seeing more of your project! I cannot remember ever having seen any Finnish themed layouts before, as a matter of fact.

• RMweb Gold

Lots and lots of trees!

Apart from that I can not really help you with 1930s Finnish countryside but you can definitely put me down as one of the 'interested' RMwebbers.

I've travelled to Finland a few times and have another 2 trips scheduled either side of this Christmas.

The foods good, Helsinki is lovely and there are some really good rail related museums.

Apart from that, there are a LOT of trees!

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Lots and lots of trees!

Apart from that I can not really help you with 1930s Finnish countryside but you can definitely put me down as one of the 'interested' RMwebbers.

I've travelled to Finland a few times and have another 2 trips scheduled either side of this Christmas.

The foods good, Helsinki is lovely and there are some really good rail related museums.

Apart from that, there are a LOT of trees!

Kev.

And lakes.....don't forget the lakes.

Very interested, I've only been to Finland once so far (WRC Rally Finland) and loved it. Stayed near Jyväskylä  and saw some of the railways used for transporting all those trees, also popped into the station with its impressive timber roof.

:good:

Thank you very much for everybody! I hope I can provide regular updates about the project. To be honest the progress has been rather slow so far, there has been periods of months of no progress because of all the other things going on. The beginning of the work for the layout actually dates all the way back to 2011.

A very good note from SHMD about the trees! I have estimated I need at least four hundred trees for the layout. Actually, one of the sections will be almost entirely forest. I'm going to follow mostly the methods described in Gordon Gravett's books when making the trees which takes quite a bit of time for each tree so I'm anticipating the tree making task with horror. The other signature element is water - as Chris there quite correctily pointed out - the layout should represent the part of the country where there is a lot of lakes, another one of the sections has a large portion of it covered by water.

Edited by ATT
  • Like 4

A very good note from SHMD about the trees! I have estimated I need at least four hundred trees for the layout. Actually, one of the sections will be almost entirely forest. I'm going to follow mostly the methods described in Gordon Gravett's books when making the trees which takes quite a bit of time for each tree so I'm anticipating the tree making task with horror. The other signature element is water - as Chris there quite correctily pointed out - the layout should represent the part of the country where there is a lot of lakes, another one of the sections has a large portion of it covered by water.

You don't have to model each tree in detail - just the ones in the foreground. For the rest, the only bit you will see clearly is the canopy. Everything underneath will be dark and almost invisible.

• RMweb Gold

Tapping a 'like' button is simply not enough here.

ATT, you have a good eye and a light touch with your modelling.

This is first class craftsmanship. The buildings are splendid but your approach to scenery is pure quality.

More. Now.......if not sooner.

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Can only second what Rob wrote. Top job so far! :imsohappy:

By the way, are you using standard gauge H0 track or having a go at scratchbuilding 1,520 mm (or more properly for the period, 1,524) track?

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 1

A very interesting project ATT, look forward to progress.

I've only been to Finland once, in 1986 when myself and two friends travelled over the inland rail route from Oulu to Helsinki. We were following our progress on the map but became confused when we couldn't find the station named 'Ravintola'. Only when we got to the next station, which also had a big sign saying 'Ravintola', did we realise that this is actually the Finnish word for restaurant !

Hello ATT,

Another fan here!

Not only have I never been to Finland, I've only ever met two people who actually came from that country! However, I find railways from every part of the world quite fascinating and applaud your work for attempting such an unusual model AND for the lovely work you have achieved already.

Wonderful stuff!

John.

nhy581: Thank you so much for the comments, as well as everybody else I might not have mentioned! I'm still gobsmacked by all these comments I couldn't have imagined getting among all the great modelling one can find on this site. I'll try to keep this thread updated - whenever I have actually time to get on with the project.

A good note from NGT6 1315, the track is actually standard Peco Code75. I have considered trying to build a layout with the correct 17.5 mm gauge but never seen it worth the effort really. On the other hand I've been thinking of building something in the 0 scale and with that I calculated that by choosing the scale 1:48 and using the standard 32 mm gauge track it is pretty much exactly correct. But with H0, mea culpa! :pardon:

Caradoc: wonderful anecdote! Just like certain unreliable trains today; you sit in it for ages and the name of the station stays the same! Your story reminds me of the Soviet Union passenger coaches, one of them had a huge text PECTOPAH on the side and as a kid I was wondering who is so important he has his name on the coach like that.

Allegheny1600: Unusuality is all in the perspective - if I'll one day do something really exotic to me, I'll build a GWR branch line layout (which I'd love to do actually, being a huge fan of railways of Britain). :-)

Edited by ATT
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Progress. It is slow - but imminent. Some landscaping work has been done with the lake section of the layout. The enbankment has now it's basic coat of sand and also some grass - where the weed killers of the period didn't reach them. Also the ground of the forest has received it's basic coating, static grass alternating with sandy ground. The lake itself is yet to receive it's final surface.

The mound behind the track is representing a ridge that was created from sand by the melting ice during the end of the last ice age. The railway at the shoreline of such ridge might look a bit exotic but it has a match in the real world - there are places where railway follows such shoreline for miles in southeastern part of the country.

Later the nearest part of the ridge will get bushes and small trees. Behind that, some birches and other broadleaf trees and the majority of the forest will be pines which are typical for such setting.

30882165070_04e9b71398_b.jpg

31105721012_35d6758bc7_b.jpg

• Like 15

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am currently working Espoo, which is just outside Helsinki, at Aalto University. I have been coming here for the last ten years or so and visit the same customer every year or two.

We get along great although, currently, we are embroiled in a “chocolate-duel” where I bring good British chocolate for her and she gives me the best Finnish chocolate. I like to think of this as a “win-win” situation but I can't help thinking that I am getting the better deal out of this!

Anyway, I asked her “what was typical 1930s Finnish Agriculture?” and I then proceeded to show her this thread as way of explanation.

She immediately replied “Cows”!

She then went on to explain that Finland was based on Dairy Farming so cows would have been seen everywhere and that they would have been fenced in too. She also said that a good place to check (for this and any other examples) would be old films.

I confess to not actually seeing any cows during any of my visits here!

Kev.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed, cows are (or at least have been) a very common sight - at least if you go outside the cities to the countryside. Unfortunately nowadays only large farms are able to succeed here so it's not that common to see fields here and there with cows on them, like you would have seen still in the 1980's.

I've lived all my life at the countryside so I didn't even think somebody would consider seeing cows exotic. :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

It's not just about the landscape, here are some examples of the rolling stock currentily under construction and ready for the paint shop.

First, two examples of the luggage/conductor van type F. These were used on both passenger and freight trains as the quarters for the train staff and for transporting small freight.

32998683401_4d73d80d9f_o.jpg

Next, two variations of a general purpose closed van, type Ga. This type was introduced at the end of the nineteenth century and was the standard type until it was replaced in the twenties and gradually left for secondary duties.

On the left, the van has a lever operated hand brake and the van on the right has a compartment with a handbrake for the brakeman. Although Finland was one of the earliest adopters of the Westinghouse brake system (second in the world if my memory won't fail me) neither of these have it installed.

32742981160_202ac8a800_o.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

The passenger trains on the layout will be operated with two kit built ten wheeler locomotives. The unbuilt kits are from 1980's and I've managed to find them during the last few years. Both locomotives are basically the same type, the main difference are the tenders; one has a short three axle tender and the other a four axle longer one. Currently the short tender is ready for the paint, otherwise there is still a long way to go.

33286923523_3216fb1c7e_b.jpg

The original Gibson wheels have been specifically made for the kit. Unfortunately the plastic of the wheel centers is very fragile after three decades, like glass. That's why I'll replace at least the drving wheels with new Romford wheels. They are not quite as accurate but close enough.

The boiler and cylinder blocks will be replaced with resin cast items, the originals for the castings will be 3d prints. Two main reasons for the replacements are the modeller's laziness and also the fact that the appearance of the original white metal detailing parts can be improved.

30625506611_53988a765d_b.jpg

• Like 8