Small gearboxes/motors

Ruston

I am looking for replacement gearboxes for a couple of my industrial locomotives. They currently have etched fold-up gearboxes that either came with the kits, or were bought from sources that I now cannot remember.

I would ideally like to replace them with something more solid that doesn't rely on my building them absolutely spot on. I recently replaced one rough-running loco with a solid brass gearbox and Mashima 1833, from MSC Models and it has transformed it but MSC don't do anything smaller and the locos that I want to do have small 1624 motors with 3/16ths axles and do not have space inside for anything larger. Ideally 40:1 ratio.

Can I have some reccomendations, please?

Curious, it wasn't in their advert in the Gazette either. Herewith the item in the trade news section. Perhaps give them a ring.

post-20369-0-73856200-1478762317.jpg

post-20369-0-68060200-1478762343.jpg

I think the iPixies have been at it again, sorry for the weird orientation...

Best

Simon

The SDMP gearboxes are available through Finney7. As far as I am aware, the smaller SDMP gearboxes are the smallest commercially available. However, they are self-assembly, and the OP indicated he wanted a machined gearbox.

Richard

Finney7

I spoke to High level kits re adapting their gear boxes but they said that they were only for 18th axles and wouldn't be doing a 3/16th axle.

Marc 

Yes, but is there not enough spare metal to modify the final drive out to 3/16"?

Gordon A

Archived