Chiltern Model Railway Exhibition, Stevenage - 14/15 January 2017

adrianmc

• RMweb Premium

Black Country Blues is fully prepared:

I have been out to the garage and checked the layout is still there... It is!

Mark delivered two very large boxes containing the rolling stock to my place last night.. He thinks of everything!

geoff reminded us that he was bringing the layouts control cables... we knew, We hadn't forgotten......

loading midday tomorrow

if you come to the show, please speak to us, it breaks up the monotony, not ours, yours.... Kidding...

Andy

• RMweb Gold

Just completed producing the 260 exhibitor's badges for the show.

Looking forward to marking out the two large halls tomorrow afternoon and welcoming our exhibitors.

During the exhibition amongst other things I'll be the one with the camera recording the event for posterity and the CMRA website retrospective - smile please!   :D

• RMweb Premium

Mark delivered two very large boxes containing the rolling stock to my place last night.. He thinks of everything!

geoff reminded us that he was bringing the layouts control cables... we knew, We hadn't forgotten......

loading midday tomorrow

if you come to the show, please speak to us, it breaks up the monotony, not ours, yours.... Kidding...

Andy

Pete will be there operating Oulton TMD

Eltel

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

The S7 group will have part of a nearly complete layout - Love Lane in attendance, to demonstrate the improved running of Finescale 7mm.

Do come and say hello. We like to chat.

JB.

loading midday tomorrow

Andy

Picking up the van for Black Country Blues shortly..    What snow did fall in the Midlands is clearing fast (I'm going out on a limb there, I can only personally vouch for the 5 mile trip from my house to Stafford and back) but, I feel that is likely to represent a lot of the Midlands.

Andy

Picking up the van for Black Country Blues shortly.. What snow did fall in the Midlands is clearing fast (I'm going out on a limb there, I can only personally vouch for the 5 mile trip from my house to Stafford and back) but, I feel that is likely to represent a lot of the Midlands.

Andy

Snowing in Harrow! Brrr.

• RMweb Gold

Another light dusting of snow in the Chiltern Hills this morning, roads should be OK though

A busy weekend for me as I wiat assiting with the loading and setting up of the High Wycombe and District MRS Cariboo Roiver HO layout at the venue tonight. Tomorrow will be at the South Western Circle www.lswr.org AGM and meeting before returning to Stevenage on the Sunday to play trains on Alan Paley's lovely pre grouping layout Loughborough Road and then assisting the Cariboo River team with their layout breakdown.

I look forward to seeing others at the show.

Fisherton Sarum is booked to appear at the 2018 show.

I've had the pleasure of spending the day with Luton MRC's O gauge group photographing Central Works which you really should keep an eye out for at the show. Some interesting and excellent locos plus the wagon tippler!

Feature_1s.jpg

A lovely crew please so do take the time to have a chat with them.

• RMweb Gold

There are a number of eating places located in the Leisure Park on the far side of the Rail Station, accessed via a footbridge - KFC, Pizza Hut, Nandos, Frankie & Bennys, Starbucks and a few others. Also there are a number of similar eateries in the Town Centre. Hopefully there will be a passout system, similar to that which was in place at St Albans. Confirmation required!

I've had the pleasure of spending the day with Luton MRC's O gauge group photographing Central Works which you really should keep an eye out for at the show. Some interesting and excellent locos plus the wagon tippler!

attachicon.gifFeature_1s.jpg

It's great to see the late Peter Elmslie's tippler - originally built for the MRC's Happisburgh - has found a new life on this layout.

Recently returned to Watford from Stevenage - other activity this afternoon so could not stay longer.

Obviously for me a longer run than the Arena but still quick and easy to get to.  Parked in Westgate - short stay being better value for us.  SWMBO went shopping.

The new venue is a vast improvement.  Plenty of space to circulate.  Perhaps a seats area would be nice now it is much bigger?

Only issue was the wrist bands.  I fully realise why they are needed.  But I was one of many who bought my ticket at the upstairs booking office and was told it was all downstairs.  Only as we started going in did I and many others learn about the bands.  At the time we were upstairs the side table with programmes had no steward and no bands.  Needs sorting for next year.  Either can the young ladies on the cash desk be briefed to tell us we need then and where to get them.  Or get the stewards who check on us at the bottom of the stairs to issue them as we check in.

And I enjoyed the show.  Bought a book on the Claytons and a DVD.

Just got back. Super show, really brilliant, well done to all.

Two things, perhaps, for next year: a seating area for folk like me who need to have a sit after about an hour or so, recharge the batteries, have lunch and then away again; and more space in front of the layouts, which might mean fewer layouts, but might also mean less space behind them.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

An excellent show and venue, far superior than the cramped conditions in the Alban Centre. I agree with Portpatrick above regarding the issue of the wristband and programmes which needs to be looked at for next year. Another little niggle, the rather tight squeeze pass the seating area where the food was being served. It could have done without the layout; Wendsleydale, being positioned on the opposite side which caused a build up of patrons in that area. Perhaps next year one of the Societies would be better placed there, whilst not being disrespectful to Societies, but they don`t generally have the same amount of patrons congregating around their stands. Well done, looking forward to next year.     

Wristband dispensing working well at the upper entrance when the wife and I bowled up at midday. The much more spacious floor plan proved a significant benefit, far easier circulation and access to view the layouts comfortably. Good range of layouts too in scales, subjects, settings and time periods, a real credit to the CMRA team finding that many exhibitors to provide such coverage; customary friendly atmos. that I always have found at the CMRA show, plenty of families with children and teens, useful range of model component and tool suppliers.

Oh, and the plentiful ladies' lavatory provision also went over big time with my wife, no queues at all.

• RMweb Premium

Just got home from a very enjoyable event. Well done gentlemen.

Left Braintree at 09:30 and got there about 10:25. walked to the venue, thinking that there would not be a cue. Oh how so wrong we was. Joined the back of the cue but was happy to do so as C.M.R.A show has always been good to visit.

A much better venue as everything is on the same level. There are some great layouts and a good selection of traders, and a lot easier to walk around.

I did not spend a lot of money on modelling items. The cafeteria in the main hall was well staffed and the cost of the food and teas where reasonable but could have done with more seating areas for the people that are maturing in age. so that they can take the weight of there feet and have a cuppa.

But all in all a much better shown and venue, may it long continue there.  

Terry.    

My first visit to Stevenage, and if I was not visiting the exhibition would have been my last, quite a difference from the lovely city of St Albans. The halls were much better than the arena with space to move around and see stuff, I think the layout of exibits could have been better and it is always a learning curve moving to a new venue.

The queue to get in was quite long and the two people selling tickets upstairs seemed to take a while to issue just a single ticket, strangely there was another pay desk down stairs that no one seemed to be using and maybe it would have been an idea to direct the queue outside to use both desks. 

I'd agree about the catering- juggling a sandwich, hot coffee and shopping bag of goodies proved tricky. The queue stretching all the way down the steps caught me by surprise.

But a very enjoyable day overall. The standard was very high this year - I was particularly impressed by the Dutch contingent's industrial modelling.

Having queued for just over half an hour, I was concerned it would be jam packed when we got it. I was presently surprised that it was free flowing and easier to get to layouts than say Warley. We also made an inadvertent smart move by going to the smaller room first which was quieter.

I found the venue easy to get to go and I'd be interested as to whether attendance was higher. Anecdotally, overheard conversations in the queue suggested people travelling from distance on the ecml in both directions. Certainly our train from kings cross had a fair number for the show

David

Archived