Civilian Land Rovers in 4mm

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

Airfix did an early Land Rover in its Bloodhound kit, but it was even more basic than the JB models, although I think it was SWB.

Yes they did, I've just been looking at some images of it, and it appears to be a very crude attempt at a Series 1, although the box art shows a Series 2.

As you say it's a very basic kit - a floorpan, two solid sides and a roof, no attempt at any interior detail, and the whole thing is horribly misshapen.

I don't think Airfix really got the Land Rover...

Al.

The Airfix kit was originally from JB Models, which went out of production in 2003. They were aimed at the wargaming market and were never as detailed as the Airfix kits of the same generation. The Land Rover was one of the earliest of their models. Some of the later kits, like the Bedford MK, could be made into nice models. There was quite a good range of etched accessories from independent suppliers, with which they could be upgraded.

The worst part of the Land Rover for me, as a non-expert in Land Rovers, was the windscreen. The outer uprights with their two thicknesses of plastic looked very clunky and I cut out the outer edges of the main frame of the windscreen and just used the front edges of the door panels. It meant cutting new glazing but it looked better. Having the aluminium surround picked out certainly improves the look.

Agree about the windscreen, Cararama did a 109 in 1:72 scale and the screen was really well done, just a bit big for 00.

The Bedford MK is a very nice kit, the cab is a one piece clear moulding so the glazing looks great. I made one into a gritting lorry some years ago as the way the kit is made lends itself to one of the many conversions done to ex army MKs.

• RMweb Premium

Agree about the windscreen, Cararama did a 109 in 1:72 scale and the screen was really well done, just a bit big for 00.

The Bedford MK is a very nice kit, the cab is a one piece clear moulding so the glazing looks great. I made one into a gritting lorry some years ago as the way the kit is made lends itself to one of the many conversions done to ex army MKs.

The fuel bowser version was/is popular with heavy plant operators for refueling such machinery 'on site'.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

White metal models were manufactured by BW Models (sadly no longer with us as Barry retired). 

As I have noted in a fire engine related thread, the extensive range of fire appliances, formerly made by BW Models, has been acquired by Mid Devon Models. Their website is a bit chaotic and I have no knowledge of their record as suppliers, but here is the relevant page -  http://www.spanglefish.com/middevonmodels/news.asp?intent=viewstory&newsid=72245

Airfix also took on the JB Models Landrover 101s which were also very nice kits which also used clear mouldings for the cab, giving a very nice looking model. However all these kits are now out of production and starting to get scarce thus making them more expensive.

• RMweb Premium

Airfix also took on the JB Models Landrover 101s which were also very nice kits which also used clear mouldings for the cab, giving a very nice looking model. However all these kits are now out of production and starting to get scarce thus making them more expensive.

Oxford Diecast have just started on producing a 101 in 1:76 scale so it should be in the shops within 2 years.

• 2 weeks later...

A nice job of the conversion Al, and a great step-by-step guide. I have a couple of the old JB kits, soft-top and hard top, and I laid them aside long ago as lacking in the areas you highlighted. I may well have a go at converting them into Austin Gypsies, quite a bit more ambitious and one for the back burner!

Kevin.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived