Reason for Edit option

If I have a further thought, I'll generally add "EDIT: ...." as a sort of P.S. 

Otherwise, I tend to edit for typos, grammatical errors etc, in which case I don't generally add an explanation that would merely advertise my poor use of language!

Otherwise, I tend to edit for typos, grammatical errors etc, in which case I don't generally add an explanation that would merely advertise my poor use of language!

I often spot a spelling or grammatical error immediately after posting, and have to edit it. Then I spot another, and have to edit again! That explains most of my edits!

I often spot a spelling or grammatical error immediately after posting, and have to edit it. Then I spot another, and have to edit again! That explains most of my edits!

Despite proof reading, I regularly find errors in grammar, spelling or clarity. i will happily edit any post for these without feeling obliged to comment on what changed - the 'edited' flag gets set automatically anyway.

If someone has set a notification or has responded to a post and I want to go back and add/remove content, then I will add some comments to indicate that the substance changed, but I see no reason to comment on things like fixing spelling, grammar or clarity.

I wouldn't give reasons for edits for typos, spelling, or style, for example to say something in fewer words. If I find new information I'll normally mark that as an update and if something turns out to be false then strikeout  is often useful as I'm not then hiding the error.

Archived