Driving mice away humanely

Guest Blackdog

It isn’t only insulation plastic that the little blighters like to chew on; my parents had a leak in the loft that was attributed to mice chewing plastic water pipe!

We have tried the ultrasonic devices but remain to be convinced.

It isn’t only insulation plastic that the little blighters like to chew on; my parents had a leak in the loft that was attributed to mice chewing plastic water pipe!

We have tried the ultrasonic devices but remain to be convinced.

Ermm no. They like the shroud of electric cable, silicon based shields/shrouds, chipboard,pva gule,prit stick, paper, fishing nets, you name they eat it and having the cables in the roof space isn't protection.

The only think I haven't known them to eat is metal.

Mice aren't spineless, but they CAN, apparently, disclocate the bones in their skulls to squeeze down cracks etc.

I don't know about my grandad's reference to paraffin, but seriously, if you find a hole the size of a pencil in diameter, a mouse WILL get down it, and at speed too. Trust me, I've watched one do it.;)

They also say that if you have mice, you haven't got rats, and vice-versa. Not sure why, but our French farm friends say the same thing.

If you REALLY want to keep mice down on your property, instal a barn-owl.

Ermm no. They like the shroud of electric cable, silicon based shields/shrouds, chipboard,pva gule,prit stick, paper, fishing nets, you name they eat it and having the cables in the roof space isn't protection.

The only think I haven't known them to eat is metal.

They don't eat it as such, but gnaw things like this to keep their incisors from growing too long- otherwise you'd end up with a sabre-toothed mouse (or rat). There've been quite a few problems with signalling cables being gnawed through around the place, with one apparent SPAD on the northern approaches to Lyon being attributed to rodent damage to cables. One of my wife's colleagues on CTRL2 opened a location cabinet which had been installed a couple of weeks previously to discover some whiskered creatures chewing away.

I wonder if RELCOS displaced from DCC layouts could be redeployed as a mouse deterrent?

Update. Caught one in an old metal umbralla stand rigged as a deadfall trap, and released it in the woods a 20 minute walk away. Was a woodmouse. (We had a Dormouse hibernate in some heavily mulched ground in our fruit cage last year, had to tippy toe round it all winter, no pruning any of the bushes 'til it had gone.) Found the food source too: wallpaper paste. Didn't know my Mrs had put it in there...

• RMweb Premium

I have always had my doubts about those ultrasonic things, my late Grandfather used to use them in his greenhouses but it kept giving some people headaches, particularly those with more sensitive hearing.

Best thing is a farm cat that is a good mouser, my parents old tabby for example who has a rule regarding rodents on the premises or anything else for that matter, if it breathes, it dies. She could put the SAS to shame!!

Hi

Think the mice could be classed as trespassers, in which case the first line of attack would be to get the BTP involved. Run a few “Q†trains perhaps with the police liveried 37093 on the front. If this fails you will have to start to educate the mice on the dangers of trespassing on the railway.  :D

Good luck 

Gary 

Ultrasonics will work on a short term basis until the mice get used to it. It's absolutely the right time to try it whilst they're happy to leave to their natural habitat. Once they're gone remove the scarer and keep for November. smile.gif

I can concur with this - worked well for me in the past

• RMweb Premium

I used to get mouse evidence on the layout -- one winter they ate the jellybeans that I was using to represent coal and haggis loads. Also a bit of chewing on cardboard bits (one cat does this too). We then had our chimney rebuilt and sealed off -- it looked like a model that hadn't been glued together too well -- and we didn't have any noticeable entries this winter or last. We haven't had any odd noises in the attic either.

Invest in a Cat, clear out the area as much as you can, try to locate the entry points if poss. You've probably done this already...get the pest controllers in. The rat-catchers will probably be able to sort the problem, but humane might not be practical if you've a large infestation. You probably know this too, that trapping one or two might not even touch the problem. The gestation period for mice is of course measured in days unfortunately so getting rid of one or two could be the mere tip of the iceberg. The damage they can cause is immense too sometimes, then I'm afraid "humane" goes out of the window. Repeat infestations can occur too so I know you will be mindful of making good any repairs and blocking any gaps however small. The very best of luck 34C!

Keep us posted...

Ultrasonics will work on a short term basis until the mice get used to it. It's absolutely the right time to try it whilst they're happy to leave to their natural habitat. Once they're gone remove the scarer and keep for November. :)

I'll vouch for the efficacy of the ultrasonic equipment. The mice are still here but my daughter has left home!

• RMweb Gold

If you REALLY want to keep mice down on your property, instal a barn-owl.

Sadly my local garden centre always seem to be out of stock of barn owls! Got a cat instead, but he like to bring in the mice after killing them to show us what he's been up to! Lovely!

We had both mice and rats in the house, mainly in the loft, but with visits into the kitchen too.

We tried both mechnical devices, but they were quite gruesome when you put your head through the loft hatch and see a mouse with a broken kneck inches from your face. Also you need to regularly check for obvious reasons. We then tried simple traps which captured but did not kill them. We also tried an ultrasonic gadget.

:angry:

We then sought professional help. The "Mouse Man", as he became known, was seen to rub his hands together and book a holiday on the strength of it, describing one area as a "Rat Motorway".

:(

He tried a type of poison that causes thirst in the animal, driving them outside to find water and subsequently die. Cruel as it seems we had a baby at the time and needed to keep the kitchen hygenic. Infact each winter we got repeat visits from the mice, followed by the "Mouse Man". Seriously, he must have had a holiday or two on the strength of these visits.

:O

Obviously although poison works they do come back, attracted by the warmth.

We then heard about a gadget that was combined ultrasonics (short range, line of sight) PLUS Electro-magentic pulse which you plug into the mains and it propogates from the wiring throughout your house. So, wide area coverage. Since then, no more mice, rats, or "Mouse Man". Costs about £30 from Argos et al. Manufactured by Lentek, model number PR40. Minimal power consumption. Heartily recommend it.

:)

Andy.

I had one of those devices that put a pulse into the mains. I still had mice as well, so am not impressed with the device.Poison to kill them,preferably in block form so they take it back to the nest and kill the lot, and then plenty of moth balls to deter a fresh influx is all that works in my experience.Also as far as possible stop up all entry holes, but it is difficult in an old house.Really they are quite remarkable creatures, they can climb a six feet high wall, get down a hole the diameter of a pencil, destroy most things, and replicate themselves at an astonishing rate.

Caught a second one, and took him or her for a long walk in the woods to meet the tawny owls, foxes, stoats etc. ; also located the little nest. They haven't been in long, maybe two weeks at the most, and those that were in my wife's greenhouse (always get in in the winter, no way of stopping them there as it has earth beds and they are near as proficient diggers as moles) have gone as well. Most importantly I can see where they were getting in, and some mortar has been used to seal that access.

They also say that if you have mice, you haven't got rats, and vice-versa. Not sure why, but our French farm friends say the same thing.

I've been told that rats eat mice and raid their nests. Not sure how true it is, the friend who told me that is prone to exaggerate from time to time.

Just the thing for keeping mice away but sometimes he likes to play with them first!!

we call him Mac

4441229208_96b1a78138.jpg

He's an absolute beauty.

We then heard about a gadget that was combined ultrasonics (short range, line of sight) PLUS Electro-magentic pulse which you plug into the mains and it propogates from the wiring throughout your house. So, wide area coverage. Since then, no more mice, rats, or "Mouse Man". Costs about £30 from Argos et al. Manufactured by Lentek, model number PR40. Minimal power consumption. Heartily recommend it.

:)

Andy.

Any idea if that drove the rats away or if it was the poison?

I'm asking because I have a friend who has been having problems with rats in her walls (ground floor flat in Edinburgh, no housing association or factor to deal with the problem). She tried a directional thing, with no effect. This might make them listen up a bit.

I understand that the electronic devices that put a pulse signal into the mains wiring may discourage mice from moving in, but if they are already in place and built their nests they will tolerate them. The ultrasonic signal ones do not penetrate walls, and are a waste of money. I take the electrical sockets off the wall to gain enough access into the space between the outer stone wall of our house and the innner lining wall to push in either poison or moth balls, depending on whether I want to get rid of the mice or try discourage them from returning. I seem to be free of them for the present but no doubt they will return.

Archived