High Energy Flywheel

AndyID

Of course you have to support the theory that model run better on DCC...after spending all that money!!! A model runs as well on DC as DCC ........if it runs well on DC then you can tweak the performance, but DCC will never cure ill's in a bad DC runner. The good are the same, the bad are always bad.

Stephen

I am a solid proponent of the 'sort the mechanism completely on vanilla DC before installing a decoder' method.

I asked the 'why' question, simply because the electronic simulation of a flywheel available from DCC is very effective. And it has considerable benefits of flexibility in installation and operation, which exceed by a significant margin what a directly mechanically coupled flywheel can offer.

But if the OP wants to fork over the money for the fun of it, I can thoroughly recommend a DU annulus flywheel on needle roller bearings. These are well proven and worth every penny.

OP is an abbreviation used on many fora for 'original poster'.

My given name is Paul. (I don't reveal my surname on line, for very good reasons.)

Thanks Paul. I fully understand about the surname - and mine isn't ID either.

I'm familiar with the OP acronym. My objection is that it's a bit like talking about someone in the third person when they are sitting in the same room ;)

Andy

Andy,

I'll have to reconsider use of 'OP'; bearing in mind you are the first person to raise an objection, in what must be nearing ten years of online forum activity on my part.

Neither a spook nor a journo, and when I was last in an organisation that loved job titles, my director of the day said he was divided on whether troublemaker or troubleshooter was the more appropriate.

Oh God, not:

141106Paul-Dacre.jpg

Not nearly shifty enough looking. Never, ever, succeeded in selling a used car.

Not seeing Wood for trees issues here.   This is a brilliant concept. The key to a successful flywheel drive is limiting the torque to the gearing.  The original spur geared Dyna Drive concept suffered from the drive train stripping if the loco stopped abruptly, such as ramming a buffer stop.

Using rubber rings which can slip rather than epicyclic gearing which cannot means the flywheel can keep revolving even if the loco stops dead.  The flywheel can also overspeed beyond motor speed to store "free" energy at cruising speed.  Effectively you can use a very heavy flywheel and still not overstress a crown wheel or bevel final drive when everything stops abruptly.

My metal working skills are not up to this but it is a bit of an eueka moment as I have been looking for a torque limiting or "Slipper" clutch for my own plans for flywheel drive.  I'm currently thinking should the motor should drive the flywheel and the gearing be to the output shaft, or should the flywheel be simply be as drawn.

Anyway  Thanks   Brilliant!

Not seeing Wood for trees issues here.   This is a brilliant concept. The key to a successful flywheel drive is limiting the torque to the gearing.  The original spur geared Dyna Drive concept suffered from the drive train stripping if the loco stopped abruptly, such as ramming a buffer stop.

Using rubber rings which can slip rather than epicyclic gearing which cannot means the flywheel can keep revolving even if the loco stops dead.  The flywheel can also overspeed beyond motor speed to store "free" energy at cruising speed.  Effectively you can use a very heavy flywheel and still not overstress a crown wheel or bevel final drive when everything stops abruptly.

My metal working skills are not up to this but it is a bit of an eueka moment as I have been looking for a torque limiting or "Slipper" clutch for my own plans for flywheel drive.  I'm currently thinking should the motor should drive the flywheel and the gearing be to the output shaft, or should the flywheel be simply be as drawn.

Anyway  Thanks   Brilliant!

Thanks for that David.

I'm in the process of insulating and lining my new workshop and I have yet to relocate my machine tools. That should be done within a week or two and then I'll take a shot at a prototype. I'll post the results - even if it's a total disaster :)

Andy

If you want to protect the drive gears from the torque of the flywheel, why not try magnets, two neodymium magnets, one turned by the motor, the other attaced to the flywheel, set up to provide enough coupling for normal use, but if the power stops suddenly it will overcome the magnets and let the flywheel come down in speed without straining the drive gear teeth.

The gap and arrangement of the magnets would be open to experiment, but thin button magnets could be used with a pair on the flywheel face to keep it in balance, and the motor side a disc with a further two magnets on it to drive the flywheel. Magnets about 1 to 2mm thick, and probably about 2 to 3mm apart, but this distance would be open to testing.

In effect it acts as a cushion in the drive, with slip only under large loads.

post-6750-0-33611500-1480137972.jpg

Stephen

If you want to protect the drive gears from the torque of the flywheel, why not try magnets, two neodymium magnets, one turned by the motor, the other attaced to the flywheel, set up to provide enough coupling for normal use, but if the power stops suddenly it will overcome the magnets and let the flywheel come down in speed without straining the drive gear teeth.

The gap and arrangement of the magnets would be open to experiment, but thin button magnets could be used with a pair on the flywheel face to keep it in balance, and the motor side a disc with a further two magnets on it to drive the flywheel. Magnets about 1 to 2mm thick, and probably about 2 to 3mm apart, but this distance would be open to testing.

attachicon.gifmag drive.jpg

Stephen

Good idea. Why don't you try it?

Just a bit of input from an interested observer with no mechanical or scientific training.

What about the kind of mechanism currently use in the ever more popular miniature drones we see today. Is there some aspect of their propulsion mechanism that allows for autorotation and if so, would it operate in a similar manner to a flywheel?

Just a thought.

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Stephen

Great minds obviously think alike.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAGU-Magnetic-Servo-Clutches-for-Miniature-Servos-/131434353439

Just tried the idea out and there is a problem, as the drive stops suddenly the flywheel overruns as intended, still applying pull to the gears and motor, via the disk, whose magnets are stationary .........result is awful vibration as the magnets cog other each other as it rotates to a halt. there is a torque reaction as well, and the whole thing shakes like blazes, till it wind down, which is pretty quick due to the drag from the magnets

BUT more magnets can be added, say an odd number like 3 or 5, which would smooth out the cogging. It would need experiment to find the sweet spot distance apart to get coupling and then breakaway with the motor stopped.

I used 1mm x 10mm Neodymium for the pair, it would need 1mm x 3 or 4mm to do more in a ring, spaced out accurately around the diameter.

With the 1x10mm magnets they coupled at about 8mm apart, more than I thought, so with adding more magnets they must be very small to ensure the breakaway point does no involve having the flywheel and disc too far apart!

At 1mm apart the coupling is 100% locked, too much so to gain the break away point.

Going back to running the flywheel faster, you could add gears to the shaft end behind the disk to speed it up, the magnet flywheel will just follow. But without more magnets the vibration and torque reaction might even throw the loco sideways, especially if the flywheel was very fast.

Stephen

I had thought of eddy current drive but it constantly slips at low revs, taking time to catch up with the motor. As there are no poles, therr is no cogging or vibration when the motor stops or slows. Must be worth experimenting with.

I had thought of eddy current drive but it constantly slips at low revs, taking time to catch up with the motor. As there are no poles, therr is no cogging or vibration when the motor stops or slows. Must be worth experimenting with.

It slips at any speed. It's the difference in speed that creates the force.

I had thought of eddy current drive but it constantly slips at low revs, taking time to catch up with the motor. .....

Surely that's a plus, rather like the now unavailable Dyna-Drive centrifugal clutch, in that you get slippage before any damage is done.

See <http://www.magnomatics.com/>for the real world application of this idea.

Stan

Stephen

Archived