Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Al took the words out of my mouth - stunning layout Andy, not come across that before but really captures the essence of Scotland.  Can't wait to see how the scenery turns out on Beale Street for you.  My 'BIG' O gauge will be more industrialised, but I'm hoping to get some greenery on it!

Rich

Thanks Rich, I hope to do a similar Backscene on BSS.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting to see you have turned your attention to wagons. They're great fun.............NOT................Unless you have decent insignia transfers. Following a lousy Sunday faffing about with dried-out Pressfix and Methfix lacking sufficient adhesive, I am now squarely in the waterslide camp for 0 gauge wagons. 

Weathering of traditional wood and steel strapped wagons was not uniform Andy. The strapping was often much darker due to rust contamination while the timber varied. Good colour photos are the answer, something the current model magazines might consider. 'Backtrack' did it years ago.

I was advised to use a bit of gum arabic with old transfers. Apply some to the model press on the transfers then remove the excess with a damp tissue trying to avoid moving the transfer.

Don

CHUFFED to bits this morning to see my Pencarne is Nominated for Best Layout in the British Model Railway Awards.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/118706-british-model-railway-awards-2016/page-0

Well deserved young man ....your getting quite good at this modelling thing aren't you  :jester:  :jester:  :jester: Can't understand how though must be something to do with the fact that it didn't get broken up  :triniti: .......I'll leave quickly .....................

On tenter hooks to find out the fate of Beale Street Andy!

;)

Rich

Ahhh yes,  ummmm so am I, hahha

Well no surprise really, I did Larry. :O

I needed more room for the 00 Fiddle Yard of Bristol Victoria, and I also felt it was identical to Chris's Tonfanua Camp, and although Chris was wonderful about it, anyone not knowing may think that I can't think for myself, (so I asked the Wife what I should do,) hahahh.

Anyway, I have a pair of boards that will meet the AXE MAN and be shortened slightly to form 2 x 4ft x 18 inches, giving me 8ft in length, so this will be more of an Inglenook Layout, but as others on here have proved time and time again, small and detailed can be better than big and lifeless, just look at Marc Smiths work as just one of the many examples.

The Boards will be cut tomorrow, and along with work, (including some wood work) on Bristol Victoria I hope to formulate a Plan.

I WILL BE BACK. :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

Ahhh yes,  ummmm so am I, hahha

Well no surprise really, I did Larry. :O

I needed more room for the 00 Fiddle Yard of Bristol Victoria, and I also felt it was identical to Chris's Tonfanua Camp, and although Chris was wonderful about it, anyone not knowing may think that I can't think for myself, (so I asked the Wife what I should do,) hahahh.

Anyway, I have a pair of boards that will meet the AXE MAN and be shortened slightly to form 2 x 4ft x 18 inches, giving me 8ft in length, so this will be more of an Inglenook Layout, but as others on here have proved time and time again, small and detailed can be better than big and lifeless, just look at Marc Smiths work as just one of the many examples.

The Boards will be cut tomorrow, and along with work, (including some wood work) on Bristol Victoria I hope to formulate a Plan.

I WILL BE BACK. :sungum:

We sincerely hope so Andy. I was enjoying the BSS story and was unfazed by the similarity of the track plans. After all, there are only so many permutations for a  layout with a handful of points. It's what surrounds the track that makes the difference.

Chris

Hello Buddy, l know its all change an BS but are you (or anyone come to that) interested in my re-numbered 08 with a Paul Chetter sound chip fitted £250 ono..will haggle

Sorry George, It's not for me mate, I have 3 already and I don't want them breading, :sarcastichand: hahah

But then at THAT PRICE?????? :boast:

Well :O

um :no:

ahh. :nono:

So a little work today between other jobbies.

I took a Axe to the two 4ft 10 inch baseboards and reduced them down to 4ft each so now both are a manageable size and just big enough for an Inglenook Shunting Layout using 5-3-3 principal and some nice scenic I hope.

Again it will follow the BSS principal of Sidings off a little used Freight only Line, and a Kick back for a small Siding / Loading Dock / Coal Yard / Oil Tank / OR Something.

The Track plan isn't finalised as I need to have a play with some Wagons over the weekend, but I should have some Track nailed down soon.

I'm also waiting for some alignment dowels and over centre latches.

post-9335-0-52526300-1484330152_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-78606500-1484330172_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-82582400-1484330194_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-06999000-1484330212_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54019900-1484330261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 12

I took a Axe to the two 4ft 10 inch baseboards and reduced them down to 4ft each so now both are a manageable size and just big enough for an Inglenook Shunting Layout using 5-3-3 principal and some nice scenic I hope.

Again it will follow the BSS principal of Sidings off a little used Freight only Line, and a Kick back for a small Siding / Loading Dock / Coal Yard / Oil Tank / OR Something.

The Track plan isn't finalised as I need to have a play with some Wagons over the weekend, but I should have some Track nailed down soon.

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 001.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 002.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 003.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 004.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 002 - Copy.JPG

Ooooo i can`t keep up with this thread........... :help:

Looking forward to what`s coming next......i think.....!! :scratchhead:

Brian.

Edited by Tove

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 001.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 002.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 003.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 004.JPG

attachicon.gifStarting again, New Boards Please 002 - Copy.JPG

Well SCRAP Post#645 that was to fussy.

Had a total re think and LESS IS MORE, so I tried this, a swivelling sector Fiddle Yard feeding under the bridge that will form the Back Scene.

NB,=  The bus is a little out of Scale but represents the Level Crossing.

The Water Tower is representing the Signal Box, (well it's the same size).

post-9335-0-76679700-1484342966_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73516700-1484342993_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-09941000-1484343130_thumb.jpg

I then REMOVED a Point and tried this, so much more room for an embankment at the back and a bit of clutter in the Yard, but I like the short siding up to the Box, so I'll look at it again in the morning.

post-9335-0-33247400-1484343249_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69873300-1484343288_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-31173300-1484343311_thumb.jpg

Either one is much more realistic I think.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Andy,

I like the latest two ideas, and either work for me ... one question, whats the background story to the yard? Ie what is it serving, or where the wagons are concerned, what are they doing/on their way to or from?  If your anything like me, having that background detail helps work out what you want to do and/or portray?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Any of these inspiration for you Andy, Cronton colliery near Huyton in liverpool

https://flic.kr/p/dx1Fqj

https://flic.kr/p/dwXDDP

https://flic.kr/p/dwUSkg

https://flic.kr/p/dx1D8u

https://flic.kr/p/dxrLXB

https://flic.kr/p/dx1K7m

Quite tempted myself one day maybe as a smaller layout.

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1
  • Like 1