Pen Y Bont from page 39.

Andrew P

Is it me, or does this need a kick back siding for something useful?

attachicon.gifpost-9335-0-92791400-1483030292.jpg

That's what I tried Mick, but with the size of O Gauge Points it puts it over the edge of the Base Board, which is a shame as it would look very good there with just an Old Office Building and an Oil Tank.

Peco are bringing out a Set Track Right and left, which is both very short and very sharp, which wont matter for just an 08 and maybe an Oil Tanker, so I might leave that bit un ballasted to see how it will fit.

Obviously a Left Hand one, or I might make one next week and try that fist.

post-9335-0-89691200-1483131596.jpg

That's what I tried Mick, but with the size of O Gauge Points it puts it over the edge of the Base Board, which is a shame as it would look very good there with just an Old Office Building and an Oil Tank.

Peco are bringing out a Set Track Right and left, which is both very short and very sharp, which wont matter for just an 08 and maybe an Oil Tanker, so I might leave that bit un ballasted to see how it will fit.

Did you consider a double slip instead of the back to back (medium?) points which would save about 8 inches in length?

A right hand point might then just fit to give you the kick back.

Edited by Donington Road

Did you consider a double slip instead of the back to back (medium?) points which would save about 8 inches in length?

A right hand point might then just fit to give you the kick back.

And cost a mere £88 to try it, hahhah    naaa think I'll wait for the Set track Left Hand Point.

I agree but look at the angle of the Point it has to come off, I even tried a Y.

attachicon.gifTrack Re Lay 1 005.JPG

attachicon.gifTrack Re Lay 2 002.JPG

I could almost get a Normal Left to fit with a bit of curved track in between, but it would straddle the Base Board joint which I obviously don't want to do.

Edited by Andrew P

Ooof - now I see. Hopefully the Settrack points will be out soon - I emailed Peco a few weeks ago asking about them, but haven't heard anything back yet.

I have to speak to Steve Flint, (the editor of RM) next week regarding a couple of my articles that are due for publication soon so I'll see if he can glean any info for me.

• RMweb Gold

OUCH!       that's eleven pounds an inch :jester:

But putting it into perspective, a double slip does the job of two points overlaid with a diamond, so if you take the cost of two points from Hattons at £39 each against the £83 they charge for a double slip, then the convenience from the  reduced length of the slip is only £5.00 more that the pair of points!

Edit: Cos I can't subtract!

Edited by Happy Hippo

But putting it into perspective, a double slip does the job of two points overlaid with a diamond, so if you take the cost of two points from Hattons at £39 each against the £83 they charge for a double slip, then the convenience from the  reduced length of the slip is only £5.00 more that the pair of points!

Edit: Cos I can't subtract!

I totally agree with your maths, if I hadn't already bought, modified and laid the Points I have.

Edited by Andrew P

Hi Andy - great progress mate!  It is looking really good even without much in the way of scenics yet.

Re the kick back siding possibility, I have read that OO Peco points can be fiddled with to go round sharper curves by cutting the plastic sleeper links underneath.  Is this not possible in the "Senior Scale"?  Just a random thought from someone who has never tinkered with point curvature in his life.

Regards,

Brian.

Hi Andy - great progress mate!  It is looking really good even without much in the way of scenics yet.

Re the kick back siding possibility, I have read that OO Peco points can be fiddled with to go round sharper curves by cutting the plastic sleeper links underneath.  Is this not possible in the "Senior Scale"?  Just a random thought from someone who has never tinkered with point curvature in his life.

Regards,

Brian.

We do that here all the time with Shinohara and Walthers HO turnouts.

Regards,

Brian.

We do that here all the time with Shinohara and Walthers HO turnouts.

Hi Guys, They do but the amount it needs to curve brings the Switch Blade into a bad position.

Thanks anyway.

I did look last night and it will come out from the Fiddle Yard, under the Bridge, so that's something I'll have a look at tomorrow.

Of course instead of adding another 0 gauge point Andy could build a narrow gauge section in that space. Why not go for yet another scale!!!!

A narrow gauge track would look OK. Another scale would look ridiculous.

Dave

Andy, not that you plan to go this route but C&L point kits allow some flexibility in design so that a straight turnout can be built with a slight curve. The problem with tightening the curvature, though, is not the turnout but whether of not the six coupled 08 can negotiate it.

Happy New Year to all, Paul