The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The Grand Tour, Amazon Prime

jjb1970

• RMweb Premium

Sadly, I can't agree with Gordon and David.  I'm afraid I found this episode a bit dull.  The tent scenes were OK, but the Grand Tour to Venice went on for rather a long time without anything much happening except for Hammond being irritating - I think it was meant to be amusing but in the event I truly did find him irritating.  As for the three cars, are we really any the wiser about any of them?  Lots of pictures of them, but precious little in the way of information.  It's maybe because of the move to an American company which has an American audience as its main target, but much of the zany British humour and daft stunts that made the better episodes of TG so much fun are no longer in evidence. Happily, nor was "The American" or the awful "Ebolatrack", and I suspect that the never-very-funny Celebrity Braincrash may be drawing to a close....please.

DT

Edited by Torper

I think that the old Top Gear was getting stale anyway. If it is down to Wilman and the 3 stooges to come up with ideas then it's no wonder they are running out of them.

If it was so stale then why was it watched by 300 million people worldwide and earning the BBC £100 million per series in foreign sales. And why would Amazon throw $250 million at the same four people to create a show as similar as possible without stepping on the BBC's intellectual property?

Anyway, if you don't like it then don't watch it.

Cheers

David

• Like 1

Personally I find the show quite good , I've yet to watch episode 4 but I'm currently enjoying the series. Out of the three I found episode 2 to be a little dull but that's just my opinion .

On a side note I've found quite a few railway related shows using the search bar , these include Yorkshire Steam a personal favourite and various other shows based on uk heritage lines ( NYMR, WSR etc ) may be worth searching .

• RMweb Premium

I suspect it is doing what Amazon expected of it, raising the profile of Amazon Prime and drawing more people into the Prime user base. I must admit, since watching the GT I've been watching a lot more on Prime. The show probably makes life more difficult for the BBC too, despite many not liking Clarkson and TG it was a big earner for the BBC and if they cannot recapture that lost global audience then they stand to lose a lot. A secondary (but maybe more serious issue) is that as more people get drawn into on-line services then it will make the license fee steadily more difficult to sell politically I think.

I understand the somewhat boring bit in Jordan was because they were invited there by someone very high up who is a car enthusiast. Much the same reason they are currently filming in Dubai. But that should be more interesting.

Cheers

David

There's something painfully obvious as the series proceeds, the new ideas simply do not exist, it is beginning to look like a caricature of it's former glory days, the cars are there, the scenery is nice, May is last, but the items like the eco cars were just so plain predictable. Rather like the mention of Last of the Summer Wine, the GT shows is on retreads at the moment, and given the massive production budget is short of the magic of the best of the BBC series.

As it is on the net audience figures are impossible until the full assessment of the whole series and a lot of consumer research, but the rumour is around the net that the audience is not as big as expected. I think we may be looking at the end of an era.......unless they really come up with some cracking new ideas very soon.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

I think this is the last we will see of them as a trio, and they will not go beyond 3 series, both ideas and age.

1 good (intro superb), 2 poor, 3 very good, 4 enjoyable

Programme quality is around good CHM TG

Mixed feelings about this latest episode.  Good to see them on form again, but the main feature of the show is stretched to it's limit and ceases to become amusing or holding my interest.  The SAS feature went that way and the latest on environmental vehicles suffered the same fate.  Contractual issues have taken away great chunks of the show, so the replacements are mixed or padded out to fill air time vacated by previous features.

I noticed the American appeared toned down a little this time, but surely this can't be a result of feedback on the show as I guess they were all recorded way before critical feedback  has appeared.

I just wish it could recapture it's spark, but they all seem to be trying too hard in places.  If you don't have sufficient content, shorten the show and have us all screaming for more.  Don't pad it out for an hour and find your audience is slipping away.

• 2 weeks later...

It is settling down now, but only to the level of the better BBC ones of a couple of years ago or more. Hammond is trying very hard to "be there" and May is beginning to yet again look as though he feels he should not be there! The car segments are great, but the rest is predictable, just like the old Benny Hill shows, the humour is flagged up too obviously, into a well rehearsed, well worn routine.

Amazon are doing all right out of this, extra members on Prime, coverage, exposure with reliable content, but not the audience they expected in the UK, although the rumour is the world wide audience is steadily climbing

I heard from a friend who works for the BBC, that the BBC are working on a new format for the Top Gear slot, based more on the extra team, and audience participation is heavily involved.

Stephen 

• RMweb Premium

I enjoyed the joke they had at Top Gear's expense when Hammond drove past the Cenotaph. This weeks episode was the best yet I thought, the James May hommage to the Ford GT40 and Ferrari P3 was superbly done whilst the Clarkson/Hammond fast Ford bit was very entertaining. The tent section seems to have found its way too, that was trying too hard and felt very contrived in the first couple of episodes but it has been getting steadily better I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Still can't put my finger on it but, whilst it is still vastly better than new Top Gear, there is just something missing. The celebrity bit is getting beyond cringeworthy now as well...

John

The star in the reasonably priced car... the lack of an on show celeb means there's no distraction from the trio.

Perhaps they could take something from spitting image, and have a celeb interview whilst in a taxi commute...

(Spitting image had prince Charles giving interviews as a taxi driver)

Edited by adb968008

It's all a bit too predictable at present, it delivers to new viewers abroad, but leaves UK viewers a bit bemused as to where the new content is. Lots of the problem is the old contracts which forbid any use of Top gear themes and forbid them presenting Motoring shows in the UK, the "UK" ones they did had no actual motoring content in the tented segments. The conditions they have to work too are very tight and run for at least a further year, when it runs out and they can do what they like.

Maybe Amazon are allowing them time till the old conditions are dropped as they have a 5 year contract, treading water till they can have guests in the studio and allow them to drive, both of which are forbidden by the BBC contracts, as it was part of Top Gears Format.

• RMweb Premium

One of the reasons the BBC was so desperate to retain TG after the three previous hosts left was to keep the international revenue. Amazon will not be seeing the GT as a UK show but an international one and I suspect that if they wouldn't have bothered with the show (or at least not given it anything like the budget it has) if they were chasing the old TG UK audience only. Which gives the BBC a headache, as if Amazon manage to take the international market for TG then wil the BBC find another international audience? The BBC had a good scapegoat for the last series of TG flopping in Chris Evans which wasn't entirely undeserved as I found it was Chris Evans that did the most to ruin the show but it is too simplistic just to blame an individual, they have a second chance at a reboot. If it flops again then I think it'll be curtains so the pressure in on for Matt Leblanc to deliver. The question is will the international market still be there? They probably see the global star Leblanc as the ticket to international sales, which may be a good strategy and I like Leblanc but the success of the GT will I think have an effect on the value of TG internationally.

Something which I find the GT has brought into focus for me is just how obsolete I think the idea of broadcast TV is for entertainment, movies etc. Why be tied to schedules and what somebody else has decided to put in a schedule if you can watch anything you like when you want to watch it with on-demand services? The Christmas TV schedules used to be a huge battle between BBC and ITV and companies made a real effort to provide something special, these days it is becoming almost an irrelevance I think. Yesterday the only broadcast TV I watched was Doctor Who and I very rarely watch broadcast TV.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

One person has really screwed up the BBC and has cost them the following.

Formula 1 coverage

Clarkson

Foisted the Voice on us

That is Danny Cohen, he has really screwed the BBC over.

Why?

1) Stopped showing all live F1 races so he could get his mate William a music talent show gig. Howver the Voice has never done well at all.

2) Started bullying Jeremy Clarkson because he hated that type of programme.

3) Cut the budgets of major earners such as Doctor Who and Top Gear.

I now think that the punch was a way of getting out of the BBC. It seemed that TG presenters were being treated a bit badly.

Please note I am not condoning punching producers.

The only sport I did follow was F1, not a fan of music talent shows, there are plenty on ITV anyway.

I reckon most stuff I now watch since getting it is on Amazon Prime.

Oh and one thing I find an instant turn off and refuse to watch are any channels with on screen logos (apart from rolling news).

Yes I have not watched C5 for around a decade!

• Like 1

Got around to watching the Namibia special. Classic TG challenge stuff and really well done. We all know these challenges and races are staged so the fact the buggies were following existing tyre tracks didn't matter. I did think the cable car at the end was unnecessary. And the final shot showed just how inaccessible the beach was.

post-6959-0-38695200-1483424483_thumb.jpg

Cheers

David

• Like 2