Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

I wonder how many people have made this particular leap on the basis of Dapols' 08?  I know I did, having one of those "road to Damascus" moments a few months ago.  I haven't got mine yet but I think sound is appropriate for 7mm locos, so I'll have to wait a while longer.  I've also ordered the LLC Class 15, with sound of course.

Is it me or are there more 7mm threads than ever before?

I was of two minds about my 4mm collection but realised I don't have the space, time or energy to do both scales.  I've been selling my stuff and things have been going better than I thought.

John

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I like your idea to model the stabling point. Would you be inclueding the line with the step gradient as part of your backscene?

Knowing your space constraints you may like to consider my two suggestions. You have probably researched these ideas already but here goes..

First, Birkenhead Mollington Street.. the refueling point using the new part of the shed as a backscene, it also has a scrapyard behind and is set in an urban/oily/grimey industrial area. Great for showing your locos off for a photo diorama.

Second, Buxton Tmd refueling point. A nice scene to model and an excellent photo plank.

Best regards,

Steve

Paul,

Can't picture Birkenhead without doing some research, but I would second Steve's suggestion of Buxton TMD - plenty of opportunity, not excessively large - and the odd DMU might sneak into a platform in 2018 when the Heljan ones are released ;). Remember 40s worked Peak Forest stone :)

And it could be Merseyside ... if the odd boundary was moved and county accidentally lost on the map!!  :jester:

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I wonder how many people have made this particular leap on the basis of Dapols' 08?  I know I did, having one of those "road to Damascus" moments a few months ago.  I haven't got mine yet but I think sound is appropriate for 7mm locos, so I'll have to wait a while longer.  I've also ordered the LLC Class 15, with sound of course.

I was of two minds about my 4mm collection but realised I don't have the space, time or energy to do both scales.  I've been selling my stuff and things have been going better than I thought.

John

Hi John,

I think a lot of people have come away with an '08' for display purposes, or because for the price its too good to let go, and then thought, actually this is good, I could do something with this!  They really are very nice models.  And the 7mm sound is superb - highly recommend the Paul Chetter 08 Zimo sound from Digitrains at Lincoln (no connection with either party) - but it really does sound good .. I'm waiting on three Zimo chips coming in, to equip my four 08s!  Definitely sounds better than the SWD chip that is in my original Bachmann Brass model.

Yes there are more 7mm threads, which is great to see ... more modern image ones that aren't just 1960s transition as well which is inspiring.

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Are you looking at modeling the whole site between both bridges,(and your lines) or just half the right hand side?.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hi Brian if I went with this I'd go with both bridges as the scenic break but I wouldn't include the main lines etc though an I think I'd have to squash the width down a bit I think.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I like your idea to model the stabling point. Would you be inclueding the line with the step gradient as part of your backscene?

Knowing your space constraints you may like to consider my two suggestions. You have probably researched these ideas already but here goes..

First, Birkenhead Mollington Street.. the refueling point using the new part of the shed as a backscene, it also has a scrapyard behind and is set in an urban/oily/grimey industrial area. Great for showing your locos off for a photo diorama.

Second, Buxton Tmd refueling point. A nice scene to model and an excellent photo plank.

Best regards,

Steve

Never thought about that steep gradient and it is steep! But I suppose if I could fit it in then why not ;) as you say it all depends on what size this comes out as.

I've not thought of Mollington Street Steve but Buxton was the first depot I thought of when I decided to go 7mm. As you know I've looked into Buxton before but it was coming out at about 15' in 4mm so I think it would be to large in 7mm but what a great model it would make with lots of potential.

I'm still quite surprised how small Kings X would be to be honest and it's still very tempting, I'm in no rush so all these thoughts are great.

Thanks again.

• RMweb Gold

John it was definitely the Dapol 08 for me as it was a lot cheaper than some of the big ones, I've sold a couple of items but I'll start adding some items on eBay I think to get the ball rolling quicker :)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Paul,

Can't picture Birkenhead without doing some research, but I would second Steve's suggestion of Buxton TMD - plenty of opportunity, not excessively large - and the odd DMU might sneak into a platform in 2018 when the Heljan ones are released ;). Remember 40s worked Peak Forest stone :)

And it could be Merseyside ... if the odd boundary was moved and county accidentally lost on the map!!  :jester:

Rich

Thanks Rich, I've always liked Buxton since I was younger and seen a layout in Railway Modeller and if I thought I could do it to scale it'd be in the shortlist. There's some great early pics like this

https://flic.kr/p/39hcsj

And I love DMU's to so I do fancy it what do you think is it possible??

So at the moment I'm more inclined to Kings X, Buxton and Cambridge Street.

I'm hoping to have my Paul Chetter chip ordered in a week or two.

Thanks again

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul.

Looking at your pics of 00 and 0 side by side, there is no comparison. 00 is great BUT 0 is far superior.

Rod

It certainly is, hence why I'm rapidly trying to sell as much as I can as there's only a few 40's left at Tower Models (can't find any anywhere else) an I recon they'll be gone very soon.

Cheers

Thanks Rich, I've always liked Buxton since I was younger and seen a layout in Railway Modeller and if I thought I could do it to scale it'd be in the shortlist. There's some great early pics like this

https://flic.kr/p/39hcsj

And I love DMU's to so I do fancy it what do you think is it possible??

So at the moment I'm more inclined to Kings X, Buxton and Cambridge Street.

I'm hoping to have my Paul Chetter chip ordered in a week or two.

Thanks again

Paul, If you do decide to have  a look at Buxton I have quite a few pics, as George T of this Parish and I had a walk all around a few years back and photographed it from almost every angle, ones like these for example.

post-9335-0-85702200-1480267623_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-65415300-1480267677_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14055600-1480267737_thumb.jpg

Hope this inspires mate.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Andy it certainly does inspire I love the fuel storage hut and tanks if I go for it those pics would be great :) I never got to go to Buxton myself but I seen the other day the depot has been demolished :(

If you all had a choice would you model Buxton or Kings X stabling point??

Thanks again Andy

• Like 2

Thanks Andy it certainly does inspire I love the fuel storage hut and tanks if I go for it those pics would be great :) I never got to go to Buxton myself but I seen the other day the depot has been demolished :(

Thanks again Andy

Buxton every day of the week mate, loads of different Locos in / out and all about, 08's 37's, 47's, 25's, Peaks, 20's?, 24's?, all in Blue I would guess, PLUS RULE 1, It's compact but easy to replicate.

post-9335-0-21110900-1480268975_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I'm probably the guilty one here. When I went 0 gauge with Oswestry, I naturally started to look at the 7mm modelling and layout section. A lot of interesting modeling work was going on here but some threads had been dormant for a while,  so I posted on them knowing it would take them to the front page. It saved me searching for them next time!  :mosking:

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Buxton every day of the week mate, loads of different Locos in / out and all about, 08's 37's, 47's, 25's, Peaks, 20's?, 24's?, all in Blue I would guess, PLUS RULE 1, It's compact but easy to replicate.

attachicon.gif28-03-2005 117.jpg

Thanks again Andy another wonderful pic :) early blue an green and I suppose the depot itself wouldn't be to hard to build even the interior in 7mm.

It was actually this time last year I thought about doing it in 4mm :O

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Paul,

I didn't realise you were planning a larger layout.. Sorry!

I imagined you wanted a place to photograph your locos on an 8ft x 2ft shelf but trying to retain an actual location.. My mistake!

Your upscaling BIG TIME!

Best regards,

Steve

No worries mate as usual I'll be having to build whatever I do in sections then stick it together when we eventually move an I get my man cave ;) so theoretically it'll be a couple of 8'x2'or3' planks stuck together for the end result.

When I get the 08 sound fitted you'll have to come down to ours or I'll bring it over, trust me you'll have that JLTRT 40 you want within a month ;) , when you've built yours will you build one for me I'm crap atvkits :D

Thanks again

• RMweb Gold

I'm probably the guilty one here. When I went 0 gauge with Oswestry, I naturally started to look at the 7mm modelling and layout section. A lot of interesting modeling work was going on here but some threads had been dormant for a while,  so I posted on them knowing it would take them to the front page. It saved me searching for them next time!  :mosking:

Well keep posting here I like being popular and on the front page I'll pay you later ;)

• RMweb Gold

I like both for there own reasons, Buxton, great variety of locos and not the hardest of trackplans and at a later date I could model the station.

Kings X, nice and compact with that urban grimy look.

I'm really finding it hard to choose, what ever I choose I'm taking my time, this is the layout I'll spend my time on, I'm fed up starting layouts knowing I'll probably never finish them for one reason or another, even I'm getting bored with my threads!! :O

So which ever I decide it's going to be nice and slow, no Andy P built over night here ;) sorry guys, I just want to enjoy it.

A big thanks to all the input and help though it's really appreciated.

Cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I like both for there own reasons, Buxton, great variety of locos and not the hardest of trackplans and at a later date I could model the station.

Kings X, nice and compact with that urban grimy look.

I'm really finding it hard to choose, what ever I choose I'm taking my time, this is the layout I'll spend my time on, I'm fed up starting layouts knowing I'll probably never finish them for one reason or another, even I'm getting bored with my threads!! :O

So which ever I decide it's going to be nice and slow, no Andy P built over night here ;) sorry guys, I just want to enjoy it.

A big thanks to all the input and help though it's really appreciated.

Cheers

Hi Paul,

Its that point where you get stuck for choice!!  A lot depends on where your looking to take the collection In the future I guess.  KX Depot could probably be done just about full size in the space you have available, but there again Buxton is doable, you might just need to shorten a couple of roads, but thats no major problem and wouldn't affect the 'look'.

Knowing you like the transition period, KX - 1960s period would be 31s, 40s, 47s, 55s, maybe the odd 33 that could have crept in on a working to KX Goods.  The big advantage being that steam would have been banished to Top Shed at that point, so you don't need to worry about the kettles.  That brings the question that the blue 08 would have been early 70s I think .. might just have crept into 1969 I guess - so alot depends on what period you want and what you want in the future stock list.

However, Buxton has a wider choice of locos - I'm not sure about the transition period around Buxton, but I suspect the odd WD, 8F and Black 5 could have crept in!  Was the diesel depot built on the site of the old steam shed or was that a different place?  Somebody may know, I don't.  But come into the blue period and you can run just about anything!!! Including your blue 08.

Either is doable - for me, id go KX, its compact, limited but interesting point work and plenty of opportunity to move things around, plus I like anything ECML!  But this is yours, not mine!!!!

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Rich, the balls just bounced back into my court ;)

I totally agree with everything you've said, I like KX and just that atmosphere it has and I think it could make a great model, not saying I'd do it justice but it's got so much potential.

Buxtons got that laid back feel about it with nice scenery, the depot itself was originally the coach/dmu shed, the steam shed being further down the line, I think it was just adapted for diesels, could be wrong though.

To be fare in little under two weeks I'm happy with two possibilities, which with ether choice I can't go wrong.

Cheers

• Like 2

Thanks again Andy

Paul

You can't run Deltics on Buxton :locomotive:. Heljan do a nice looking model in O gauge  :yes:  :good:

• RMweb Gold

Paul

You can't run Deltics on Buxton :locomotive:. Heljan do a nice looking model in O gauge  :yes:  :good:

Suppose one could sneak in ;) I'll have to have one though just fit that sound!

So is that a tick in the Kings X box for you then mate? ;)

Cheers