The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

That 08 is superb mate, now  need the courage to tackle mine, I've done several OO ones but this is a bit bigger.

You really have captured the well worked look of the prototype mate.

Cheers Andy, you'll enjoy it, it's more difficult in one way but easier in others, hopefully I'll have some track to actually run it on soon :)

Thanks again buddy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't really like positing track plan ideas anymore as they never seem to come off but as I've posted it on another thread I thought I might as well post it here, but as my first venture in 7mm track building it's fairly simple, for now anyway.

Basically two lots of sidings used as a stabling point in pretty run down conditions. This is just what I've decided on for now but there will be more to the above left.

ACA30AA9-8747-4DD5-93A3-0B0BBC0D7E2E_zps

If nothing else it'll give me some practise in 7mm and somewhere to take photos.

Cheers

Nice plan mate - and achievable without too much hassle, which I think its a good thing, but with potential to expand.  Do I foresee the bottom two sidings being at a slightly higher or lower level than the others? :)

What have you used to weather your 08 btw? I assume its powders?

Rich

• RMweb Gold

Well a few goodies arrived today in the form of some sleepers, bull head rail and Exactoscale chairs from C&L a long with a metre of C&L flexi so I could have a play and actually run something :)

So for the first time ever my very unfinished gronk had a run out.

20CAD89D-1AFA-4BEE-93EE-A933763D2F70_zps

A metre of flexi doesn't go far in 7mm :O

8149F25B-9E40-454A-9F29-00E1E6EE15EF_zps

Then it was a running in session on the rolling road, a big thank you to Steve (scouser999) for lending me it months ago but I've now finally got to use it.

24A5D20C-97B8-4749-90CC-EAADDB06D702_zps

No sound unfortunately as everyone is in bed but hopefully I'll try and get a video done tomorrow. One thing I have discovered is that the powercab is not the easiest to use when wanting to use functions above ten so I'll definitely be on the hunt for a new controller in the next couple of months.

Cheers

• Like 3

Good to see that a supply of tea was to hand as well!.

As for the function`s,i`m using Lenz 100 throttle`s that have never been upgraded since buying them. And to be honest i never will as i don`t use all the extra bit`s that are now added to decoder`s.So,so long as i get a nosie some light`s to tell me which way it`s going and a bit of squeal for the wheels then i`m happy!.

Cheers,

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good to see that a supply of tea was to hand as well!.

As for the function`s,i`m using Lenz 100 throttle`s that have never been upgraded since buying them. And to be honest i never will as i don`t use all the extra bit`s that are now added to decoder`s.So,so long as i get a nosie some light`s to tell me which way it`s going and a bit of squeal for the wheels then i`m happy!.

Cheers,

Brian.

Thanks Brian, to be honest I don't drink tea haven't touched it from since I was about ten, that tin mug is great though and only 80p, normally full with coffee but in this occasion it has coke in it waiting for a little tipple to be added to help shift the man flu :O it also holds a full can of beer and keeps it cool :D

As for controllers I really like the look of the Lenz 100 but when pricing them up the other day you had to buy the power pack separate (I could be totally wrong here) so the whole system added up to about £350, now for a bit of extra saving I could go for the ECoS which I've used when Phil invited me along to have a play on Abbottswood and I have to say I was very impressed.

Thanks again

As for controllers I really like the look of the Lenz 100 but when pricing them up the other day you had to buy the power pack separate (I could be totally wrong here) so the whole system added up to about £350, now for a bit of extra saving I could go for the ECoS which I've used when Phil invited me along to have a play on Abbottswood and I have to say I was very impressed.

Thanks again

The Lenz is an excellent system, and yes your workings out are about right for the price of the LH100 and the TR150 5Amp transformer which is what I have got. Some consider the Lenz dated, and in some ways it is, but it is an excellent all round system and very reliable.

I also have a Roco Multimaus as a slave controller which simply plugs into the Lenz faceplate and gives me an extra throttle with a knob for controlling locos, and it will switch accessories too!

A friend of mine has just purchased the ECoS system and it's very impressive, also I was looking at the Roco Z21 system which can be linked to an Android phone, Kindle Fire, etc and looked very versatile, not sure on the availability of a bigger transformer yet though.

The 08 is looking rather nice and I'm sure you'll be able to blast up the sound sometime soon.

Jinty ;)

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Jinty I've just had a look at the Roco Z21 and even had a quick play with the free app, it looks pretty good.

The Mrs is out for a couple of hours later so whilst she thinks I'm putting all the decorations back in the loft and getting the house back to normal I'll do a video ;)

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian, to be honest I don't drink tea haven't touched it from since I was about ten, that tin mug is great though and only 80p, normally full with coffee but in this occasion it has coke in it waiting for a little tipple to be added to help shift the man flu :O it also holds a full can of beer and keeps it cool :D

Don't drink tea? Pah! What kind of railwayman are you! I know some people that if you walked into a box, or climbed onto a Loco with coffee, would sling you out!

Glad your track has arrived and your enjoying the 08. I remember the first time I put a 37 on a meter-length, think it went all if six inches and got to the end of the rails. Remember thinking wow this is BIG!

Fun times ahead.

Rich

• Like 1

Well a few goodies arrived today in the form of some sleepers, bull head rail and Exactoscale chairs from C&L a long with a metre of C&L flexi so I could have a play and actually run something :)

So for the first time ever my very unfinished gronk had a run out.

20CAD89D-1AFA-4BEE-93EE-A933763D2F70_zps

A metre of flexi doesn't go far in 7mm :O

8149F25B-9E40-454A-9F29-00E1E6EE15EF_zps

Then it was a running in session on the rolling road, a big thank you to Steve (scouser999) for lending me it months ago but I've now finally got to use it.

24A5D20C-97B8-4749-90CC-EAADDB06D702_zps

No sound unfortunately as everyone is in bed but hopefully I'll try and get a video done tomorrow. One thing I have discovered is that the powercab is not the easiest to use when wanting to use functions above ten so I'll definitely be on the hunt for a new controller in the next couple of months.

Cheers

Paul,

One of the drawbacks of many systems, including the PowerCab is the need to switch screens to access higher function keys.

The standard PowerCab way of doing so is particularly lengthy. If you haven't already, change the function of the OPTION key from the default to 'Shift'. This means that one press of this key takes it into the teens, and two presses into the twenties.

When you have done this, to get to key 15, say, press OPTION then number 5, for 25 press OPTION twice then number 5.

Have a look at Signa -Trak. Not very attractive to many eyes, but available in 3.5A or 5A versions and displays all 29 function keys and a speed control on a single touch screen.

Very good for operating sound models.

Britsh made and around 1/3 of the price of an ECoS.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Oooooohhhh.......I am having nightmares looking at that 30" fall to the tiled floor below  :fie:

As for the controllers, I am thinking along the ssame lines as you, for the extra few hundred the ECoS gives a lot more ease of functionality regarding control and programming, let alone the fact (often overlooked) that it is a two controller machine straight out of the box.

Anyway each to their own. :good:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Oooooohhhh.......I am having nightmares looking at that 30" fall to the tiled floor below  :fie:

As for the controllers, I am thinking along the ssame lines as you, for the extra few hundred the ECoS gives a lot more ease of functionality regarding control and programming, let alone the fact (often overlooked) that it is a two controller machine straight out of the box.

Anyway each to their own. :good:

Haha I was waiting to hear a smash last night as I let it run for 40 min in each direction whilst watching tele ;)

Totally agree with you regarding the ECoS to, having two controllers is another great feature that it has and it has a nice feel about it when using.

Cheers

I don't think the Powercab is too bad for accessing the higher functions

The way Paul explained it is slightly easier than the way I do it

Press and hold Shift and 0, it will then display F10-19

post-7333-0-12495200-1483818122_thumb.jpg

Now press the number for the function you require i.e. for function 15 press 5

post-7333-0-14115600-1483818776_thumb.jpg

If you want access to F20-28 then Press Shift and 0 Twice

post-7333-0-54995600-1483818781_thumb.jpg

I find it quite easy to use once you get used to it.

Paul,

One of the drawbacks of many systems, including the PowerCab is the need to switch screens to access higher function keys.

The standard PowerCab way of doing so is particularly lengthy. If you haven't already, change the function of the OPTION key from the default to 'Shift'. This means that one press of this key takes it into the teens, and two presses into the twenties.

When you have done this, to get to key 15, say, press OPTION then number 5, for 25 press OPTION twice then number 5.

Have a look at Signa -Trak. Not very attractive to many eyes, but available in 3.5A or 5A versions and displays all 29 function keys and a speed control on a single touch screen.

Very good for operating sound models.

Britsh made and around 1/3 of the price of an ECoS.

Kind regards,

Paul

Yes I've got a Sig naTrack for Beale St, and I like it, it shows up all 28 functions. I also liked the conversation with the makers when I had a query, the Guy was so helpful and interested in getting my feedback, and there only in Manchester. He also offered to change any setting from latches to instant etc, and there is an up graded hand set out later I believe, although the hand set only allows 4 functions, but as I sit at the controller I will only use the Hand Set for walking along to uncouple etc.

• RMweb Gold

Yes I've got a Sig naTrack for Beale St, and I like it, it shows up all 28 functions. I also liked the conversation with the makers when I had a query, the Guy was so helpful and interested in getting my feedback, and there only in Manchester. He also offered to change any setting from latches to instant etc, and there is an up graded hand set out later I believe, although the hand set only allows 4 functions, but as I sit at the controller I will only use the Hand Set for walking along to uncouple etc.

Cheers Andy it does look good, it'll be a couple of months so I'm going to look into all of them :) Manchester based is very handy though.

Thanks

• Like 1

Cheers Andy it does look good, it'll be a couple of months so I'm going to look into all of them :) Manchester based is very handy though.

Thanks

The question I asked was this; I have the basic one, I will be running a couple of Heljan O Gauge with Sound, will it be up to it?

His answer was; it should be with no problems as I only have a small 18ft Layout, I would only need the bigger one for a large Roundy Roundy with lots of Locos running. He did then say that should I find it was cutting out, ring him and he would exchange it for the bigger one.

I expect he would charge the £30 or £40 difference but I'd live with that.

Just to add, I bought mine from Poynton Garden Centre Model Railway Shop, there closed at the moment as the site is being re developed but will open in a few weeks.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Squeaky I'll give it a try later tonight :)

Here's a link to the video as promised

Cheers

See this is what happens in Liverpool ... you leave an 08 innocently sitting on a worktop, five minutes later those local raskells have have got it up on blocks!!! :)

Paul's audio really is superb, in the words of Arkwright I'll be jerr...jerr...jiggling about with them for the four 08s that here! I like Andy P's way of same chip (ver 1 and ver 2) and different speakers, trouble is I like Jinty's speakers :). Just wait till you power that 40 up  :onthequiet:  Which reminds me, I must ask Paul if he does a Protodrive chip for a 58  :scratchhead:

How are your plans for the layout coming on mate?

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The question I asked was this; I have the basic one, I will be running a couple of Heljan O Gauge with Sound, will it be up to it?

His answer was; it should be with no problems as I only have a small 18ft Layout, I would only need the bigger one for a large Roundy Roundy with lots of Locos running. He did then say that should I find it was cutting out, ring him and he would exchange it for the bigger one.

I expect he would charge the £30 or £40 difference but I'd live with that.

Just to add, I bought mine from Poynton Garden Centre Model Railway Shop, there closed at the moment as the site is being re developed but will open in a few weeks.

Thanks Andy I might pay them a visit and take a look at it in flesh :) it does seem very reasonable:)

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

See this is what happens in Liverpool ... you leave an 08 innocently sitting on a worktop, five minutes later those local raskells have have got it up on blocks!!! :)

Paul's audio really is superb, in the words of Arkwright I'll be jerr...jerr...jiggling about with them for the four 08s that here! I like Andy P's way of same chip (ver 1 and ver 2) and different speakers, trouble is I like Jinty's speakers :). Just wait till you power that 40 up  :onthequiet:  Which reminds me, I must ask Paul if he does a Protodrive chip for a 58  :scratchhead:

How are your plans for the layout coming on mate?

Rich

Haha at least they only knicked the tires ;)

Jinty's speaker is great but I'll use the zimo 3D speaker Paul supplied in the green 08 along with his v2 just to make it even more different,can't wait to get the 40 sound fitted, have you done yours yet an what speakers did you use?? Not sure what size speakers I'll get away with in it to be honest.

I'm going with the 5 sidings for now as I can get to grips with everything 7mm, so I need to try and tackle templot now :O wish me luck.

Thanks again

• Like 2

I use digitrax, it too has two controllers per handset unit.

I did all the costings (Yorkshireman see!) and I decided that their kit offered the best initial cost vs expandability costs.

I initially bought an NCE power cab but didn't get on with it for various reasons - flogged it on Ebay and bought digitrax from SCC4DCC (use Google), usual disclaimers.

Had played with the digitrax handsets on The Laird of this parish's erstwhile Bradfield layout.

Edited by leopardml2341
  • Like 1

I use digitrax, it too has two controllers per handset unit.

I did all the costings (Yorkshireman see!) and I decided that their kit offered the best initial cost vs expandability costs.

I initially bought an NCE power cab but didn't get on with it for various reasons - flogged it on Ebay and bought digitrax from SCC4DCC (use Google), usual disclaimers.

Had played with the digitrax handsets on The Laird of this parish's erstwhile Bradfield layout.

How do you get on with accessing the higher functions? A couple of guys at our Club have them and when I was showing them the 08 they couldn't get above f10 for some reason.

• Like 1