The big Leap starts with a Gronk

PjKing1

• RMweb Premium

Cheers Andy at least I'm not the only one then ;)

Definitely not the only one........looking forward to a sound fitted Class 15 rumbling along a Western Region branch line down here, well it got lost going from Stratford to Dagenham Docks  :blind:

• Like 2

Morning Paul, I'm the same with Loco Numbers, providing its a BR Number I can live with that. I've been told that my Brake Van is numbered as a 21T Hopper, but it's numbered and that's fine by me.

Bloody hell do people have spotting books at the Railway shows / Internet sites checking peoples stock numbers to see if they are correct. Sweet lord as if there is not enough to do in this life!!!

• Like 1

Bloody hell do people have spotting books at the Railway shows / Internet sites checking peoples stock numbers to see if they are correct. Sweet lord as if there is not enough to do in this life!!!

It is a disturbing thought, but a bit of judicous weathering usually snookers those who suffer from such obsessions and there are plenty of websites offering counselling for the afflicted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Another quick video of the 08 with Paul's Protodrive decoder

Can't wait to drive this on a layout!!

Very nice mate - can anyone tell me, this might just be me remembering wrongly, but your video shows this clearly.  The electric whine of the motors is kicking in when the wheels are just starting to move - of the 08s I've been on, I recall that the loco had to be doing 6-7mph before the whine kicked in?  Am I right, or is my memory playing tricks (quite possible!).  It bugs me every time I run mine!  Any DBC 08/09 drivers around????

Rich

EDIT: Thats not to knock Paul Chetter in anyway, I love the clarity and definition of the audio, its superb, and I'll be acquiring them for my other 08s, just interested to know if that whine is right!  

Edited by MarshLane
  • Like 1

Very nice mate - can anyone tell me, this might just be me remembering wrongly, but your video shows this clearly.  The electric whine of the motors is kicking in when the wheels are just starting to move - of the 08s I've been on, I recall that the loco had to be doing 6-7mph before the whine kicked in?  Am I right, or is my memory playing tricks (quite possible!).  It bugs me every time I run mine!  Any DBC 08/09 drivers around????

Rich

EDIT: Thats not to knock Paul Chetter in anyway, I love the clarity and definition of the audio, its superb, and I'll be acquiring them for my other 08s, just interested to know if that whine is right!  

Rich,

Why didn't you just email me?

This is a ZIMO decoder. The most User Configurable (with basic DCC controllers, special programming kit not required) sound decoder you can buy.

For Version 2.

Don't like where the Traction Motor sound starts? Change it to what you prefer. I set it up to suit my driving style, your style may well be different.

The CV which controls the start point of the sound is CV297.The default value in the project is 20. That means the sound starts at Speed Step 10 of 128.

(If you are using 28 Speed Steps, you will lose the subtlety in the big jumps between speed steps so may not have noticed).

Change it to a higher figure and the sound will start at higher Speed Steps.

You can change the volume level of the sound relative to other sounds too if you wish, CV296.

Version 1 works differently and does not need to be adjusted in the same way.

This version responds to the way you operate the throttle, not the road speed. If you open the throttle wide when the loco is standing, you may well induce traction motor whine at low speeds. Doing this is intended to represent a heavy train when the control lever is opened wide. The whine is audible at lower speeds when the loco is working hard.

Two ways to avoid this in this version.

Either: Press F5 before moving to put it into 'Light Engine' mode and use gentle speed step increases, or press F6 before moving which will inhibit engine ramp up whilst engaged.

Kind regards,

Paul

Edited by pauliebanger

• RMweb Gold

Why didn't you just email me?

This is a ZIMO decoder. The most User Configurable (with basic DCC controllers, special programming kit not required) sound decoder you can buy.

Hi Paul,

To be honest, it's on my list of things to do, I just haven't got to it yet! Also, like I say there's not critism of you or the product implied - I love the decoder and the sounds, and I just wasn't sure if it was me being picky. Also I've been experimenting to try and work out what needed tweaking to get the best out of it with my system, and like I mentioned in our last email I'm sure a lot is me just getting use to things, so wanted to wait until I'd had a good run. I made the comment because I was just interested in the views of others.

No disappointment or errors were implied tho, sorry if anything came over like that. However, thanks for the CV configurable, I think my current one is V1, but I'll be back to you soon for a V2 to go in the next one! As they say 1 down, 4 to go!

Rich

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If you've not driven a decoder like this they will take a bit of getting used to as it's like driving the real thing, Biffo's drive like this but without the brake so I was pretty familiar with the way it needs to be driven, as well as having the SLW 24 with Paul's Protodrive so I've had practice ;)

I love it, the break feature is excellent :)

Cheers

Edited by PjKing1

• RMweb Gold

If you've not driven a decoder like this they will take a bit of getting used to as it's like driving the real thing, Biffo's drive like this but without the brake so I was pretty familiar with the way it needs to be driven, as well as having the SLW 24 with Paul's Protodrive so I've had practice ;)

I love it, the break feature is excellent :)

Cheers

Oh I agree mate. I'm very tempted to standardize on Paul's Protodrive decoders - love how responsive they are, and the audio clarity is superb. Adds that extra dimension to things!

Rich

Hi Paul,

To be honest, it's on my list of things to do, I just haven't got to it yet! Also, like I say there's not critism of you or the product implied - I love the decoder and the sounds, and I just wasn't sure if it was me being picky. Also I've been experimenting to try and work out what needed tweaking to get the best out of it with my system, and like I mentioned in our last email I'm sure a lot is me just getting use to things, so wanted to wait until I'd had a good run. I made the comment because I was just interested in the views of others.

No disappointment or errors were implied tho, sorry if anything came over like that. However, thanks for the CV configurable, I think my current one is V1, but I'll be back to you soon for a V2 to go in the next one! As they say 1 down, 4 to go!

Rich

Hey Rich,

No offence taken or intended.

Glad to have the opportunity to explain as not everyone will have read the User Notes. LOL.

Kind regards,

Paul

Oh I agree mate. I'm very tempted to standardize on Paul's Protodrive decoders - love how responsive they are, and the audio clarity is superb. Adds that extra dimension to things!

Rich

Paul produced the sound projects for the Minerva Peckett and Victory. They are first class.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

More grimy green gronk action tonight, so it's the body next, is the body easy to remove? Just might make weathering a bit easier.

Paul version 2 arrived today but I'll wait till it's weathered before fitting.

98E1F367-39F0-4923-88CB-8BB1A722C70D_zps

2831C6F8-98DB-4D53-834C-788D57B10580_zps

9A95376B-44E9-42D5-B2CA-650C5B99B438_zps

A4889803-3BF6-4DD1-9566-0423917C88E3_zps

F9385379-A9EC-48E8-AED8-F22BB395E884_zps

EAA30838-A5DB-4287-86DD-819B41A7824A_zps

Cheers

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

That underframe looks superb Paul, brilliant weathering.

Shame about the number :jester: .

Mike.

Haha cheers Mike, in a couple of days you won't see the number ;) or I might surprise you and change it! :O

• Like 1

The 0 gauge 08 is really neat and it is easy to understand why folk have fallen for this model. I look at it this way though, it is still an 08 and as such it is representative of one of the dullest of diesel locos. What I mean by this is, I doubt the most avid railway railway enthusiast would be drawn to the lineside fence to watch an 08. An English Electric or Brush Type 4, or even a Class 25 ~ yes, but not an 08. One morning while shunting with a Lanky 3F 0-6-0 between Oldham Mumps and Clegg Street, there was an 08 in the yard for company. My driver said the yard would be full of 08's one day and my immediate thought was how boring. In 1960, we assumed everything would go on forever! It never really worked out that way and I doubt there was ever more than one 08 to work the complex. The brand new parcels depot we were working wagons into had gone by 1981.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 2

The 0 gauge 08 is really neat and it is easy to understand why folk have fallen for this model. I look at it this way though, it is still an 08 and as such it is representative of one of the dullest of diesel locos. What I mean by this is, I doubt the most avid railway railway enthusiast would be drawn to the lineside fence to watch an 08. An English Electric or Brush Type 4, or even a Class 25 ~ yes, but not an 08. One morning while shunting with a Lanky 3F 0-6-0 between Oldham Mumps and Clegg Street, there was an 08 in the yard for company. My driver said the yard would be full of 08's one day and my immediate thought was how boring. In 1960, we assumed everything would go on forever! It never really worked out that way and I doubt there was ever more than one 08 to work the complex. The brand new parcels depot we were working wagons into had gone by 1981.

I don't know about that - I would much rather watch a first-class crew flatswitching than a through train blowing through the station!