Duncan's workbench

emt_911

That's looking excellent mate, so much detail underneath that won't be seen.

Thanks Andy. Although some of it won't be seen it wouldn't sit right without it.

This is one build that I'm really enjoying.

• Like 2

Duncan,

I think it fits the bill and looks the part.  The other side is at the edge of the baseboard but what will you put this side and on top?

Hi Chris. This side is going to be an embankment that masks the mimic panel. The top will get a thin plasticard layer with a double track. I don't know whether to use it as a programming track or just have it disused.

After a few days of not a lot happening thanks to work and illness, some progress has been made today.

post-6953-0-86870300-1484414774_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-68816100-1484414787_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-07654900-1484414800_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-54703600-1484414811_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-22440400-1484414833_thumb.jpg

This evening the solid section of the bridge deck will be installed.

I'm still not sure whether to have locos on it or leave it as disused tracks

• Like 2

After a few days of not a lot happening thanks to work and illness, some progress has been made today.

attachicon.gifIMG_2061.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2062.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2063.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2064.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2066.JPG

This evening the solid section of the bridge deck will be installed.

I'm still not sure whether to have locos on it or leave it as disused tracks

Ahh Duncan, Now it makes some sense, I was thinking it was a Road Bridge, which is why I couldn't understand all the Cross bearers that wouldn't be seen. Excellent mate, a really super job.

Ahh Duncan, Now it makes some sense, I was thinking it was a Road Bridge, which is why I couldn't understand all the Cross bearers that wouldn't be seen. Excellent mate, a really super job.

Hi Andy. I knew that it would make sense at some point.

I need to decide fairly soon as to whether to use it as a programming / storage track or leave it as a bridge with disused lines

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Would it not look better with waybeams and chairs as opposed to normal track? Using normal track is a fairly modern thing, and I think looks wrong!

Andy G

Edited by uax6

Would it not look better with waybeams and chairs as opposed to normal track? Using normal track is a fairly modern thing, and I think looks wrong!

Andy G

Hi Andy. Thanks for the input. It certainly gives me something different to consider.

I suppose that the easiest solution would be to use the upper part of the inspection pits trimmed to size.

Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

I've started butchering an inspection pit that was surplus to requirements and it looks like it will do the job nicely but will take a bit of time.

If it doesn't work I'll get some C&L chairs.

• Like 3

I think most UK girder bridges with this type of 'baulk road' construction were probably plated, for the safety of railway personnel, something like this maybe:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Paddington_platform_1_baulk_road.jpg/220px-Paddington_platform_1_baulk_road.jpg

There were a few that weren't, around Swansea and Llanelli docks, for example. 

I think most UK girder bridges with this type of 'baulk road' construction were probably plated, for the safety of railway personnel, something like this maybe:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a2/Paddington_platform_1_baulk_road.jpg/220px-Paddington_platform_1_baulk_road.jpg

Exactly what I'm going for. Once the tracks are in place I'm going to plate the exposed areas

• Like 1

Nice bridge work. 

With regard to the thickness of the capping stones, if you measure them against the bricks they appear to be about 3 bricks height in thickness which IIRC is about 12 inches.

The capping stones on the wall are a scale 3 inches thick and the ones for the pillar are just over 4 inches

• Like 1