Class 142

charliepetty

11 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Hello all, 

Ive managed to hi-jack the scanner at work and brought in some photos which I hope will be of use. Its nice to see many people taking interest in the Pacers that used to work in the north east. Like I've said, just about every journey I had at the time started on one, so I ended up having an affection for the little workhorses, never mind nodding donkeys. 

The whole choc and cream / skipper convo pushed me to get this done. Have been meaning to do it for a while to try and help Charlie with the project. Ive got some photos, of the units towards the end of sectorisation, these must be from about 95 ish onwards. I would have been about 12 and spending my pocket money on films and development at Boots. 

1789799942_142026CHBAT.jpg.160d6334d4f5bbf99972afa211f7cf46.jpg

Heres one I remember well. 142026 was always a favourite as I am sure that this was the last one in Choc and Cream. The yellow doors on the original livery units never got repainted. These lasted until Northern Spirit took over the franchise and these units all in choc and cream or provincial were all the ones that went into 'NS'. The unit is above at Battersby, the usual exchange of tokens allowing a chance to jump off and grab a photo. 

I'm sure I remember reading 26 was to be done with yellow doors when the 142s by charlie were first announced. It would be perfect. Although he has chosen no. 20, which might be better changing to Tyne and Wear as that one was painted into that livery first. 
2034671079_142026CHNEW.jpg.e1b4a52db1620661399cb2e4ac7ee583.jpg

'26 again about to go for a run down the Coast at Newcastle. It was rare for me to get a chance to get to Newcastle as I usually cycled to Durham or got the train to Darlington. 

Speaking of Darlington...

862133236_142021DAR.jpg.c411a0e58ade76fac691032be2230638.jpg

142021 in the bay at Darlington on platform 2. Always a favourite spot as the units would happily bounce into the station on the jointed track in the bay. A sight that pretty much just changed only with the livery as the units worked the duties to Saltburn from Darlo for years. To be honest Tyne and Wear has always been my favourite livery (indulges in paint froth mode). It looked smart and bright for a little branch line unit. While others were admiring the HSTs, 91's or passing freight I was always waiting for the 142 to rev and then charge off on another run. It was always an iconic sound watching at the south of the station with a unit having been started up and then revving the engine to build up air pressure - one setting for the sound chip on on these please Charlie?

Hope these are of interest. Will try and add more later. 

Nice photos, love the one at Battersby, we used to holiday near Whitby regularly, hence my photos earlier, so like yourself I've always had a soft spot for them,never got to see a Skipper  on the branch though. Only Skipper I got on was 025 between Beverley and Hull in 1998,half day on Friday at college there,couldn't believe it when it rolled in under the roof!

Rob

This last two weeks has been rather exciting in 142 Pre-Orders and the tables have been turned on the most popular ones, the  current rankings are:

1st:  Northern Midnight Blue.

2nd: Provincial Blue & White

3rd: Skipper Chocolate & Cream

4th: GMPTE Orange

PPS: People in Manchester 'must' be on Holiday !!!!

Charlie

142 FINAL CAD Speaker.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, charliepetty said:

This last two weeks has been rather exciting in 142 Pre-Orders and the tables have been turned on the most popular ones, the  current rankings are:

Charlie

I wonder how much the choice of destinations blinds come into it? The two GMPTE versions each with Manchester Victoria on one end. The GMPTE versions also operated on diagrams south of the city, into South Yorkshire and it would appear North Wales.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Jim76 said:

I wonder how much the choice of destinations blinds come into it? The two GMPTE versions each with Manchester Victoria on one end. The GMPTE versions also operated on diagrams south of the city, into South Yorkshire and it would appear North Wales.

I really don't see the issue with destination blinds, I would never allow something like that to influence a a purchase, There are multiple options, Change them, blank them or simply ignore them. 

For the record I have purchased Provincial and GMPTE so far. I am not ruling out purchasing a skipper to use on my West Yorkshire based layout either.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Jim76 said:

I wonder if Charlie would consider using vinyls for the destination blinds rather than painted so modellers can change the destination blinds and the vinyls still allow the destination blind light to shine through.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 23/04/2022 at 10:03, charliepetty said:

Charlie

Hello all, 

Time for round two of pictures from the scanner. Not entirely surprised with the results of what is selling. The Northern Blue pair will be in demand as the stock is there for them to be matched up with. Provincial Blue and Skipper were more wide in coverage than you'd think, particularly the latter. 

So, time for another selection and ones that I would love to see made (hint hint Charlie). A few of the Tyne and Wear PTE version of Regional Railways, in 'Canary' yellow with blue stripe. I would avoid 21 as it had a black square in the destination blind area on the top right of one end for ages. 

2055319070_142017DAR.jpg.8dd313387b1c941fa30602b2a5838cc5.jpg

142017 at Darlington

809932257_142017DHM.jpg.20853b747a4f70c6efc1d71c78265327.jpg

142017 at Durham

14704032_144018TWWBY.jpg.5d5d2cea048e0f25220abd0ce56ead1a.jpg
142018 and 142022 at Whitby. 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, charliepetty said:

What do you mean by 'Spec'

Charlie

Set up. Could I ask what decoders or speakers are they getting? Or the sound file to be used. I am thinking these would be much better sound fitted - so how much more after deposit is this likely to be please?

Cheers. 

2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Set up. Could I ask what decoders or speakers are they getting? Or the sound file to be used. I am thinking these would be much better sound fitted - so how much more after deposit is this likely to be please?

Cheers. 

I'd hazard a guess that the sound will be Legomanbiffo....

• Funny 1

On 27/04/2022 at 17:25, The Black Hat said:

No mention of the hardware specifics, but some of the features can be found in several of the postings by Charlie on this page of this thread

On 28/04/2022 at 01:22, TomScrut said:

I'd hazard a guess that the sound will be Legomanbiffo....

They have Pre-Fitted speakers on the underfloor of both cars, see drawing attached:

The Circuit boards have been designed by ESU for 21Pin Decoders.

Early Sounds are Leyland TL11 Engines from Legomanbiffo.

Later Sounds are Cummings  with Voith Transmissions from Legomanbiffo

The DCC Spec:

2 X ESU Sound Decoders operating motors in each car.

2 X ESU Designed Circuit boards.

Full Interior Passenger Lighting with Fluorescent flicker feature.

Day Time & Night Time Running.

Door Sounds (Both Bleeper Types) with operational door lights with Guards light delay feature.

Illuminated Destination Blind.

Cab Lights with directional automatic switch off when leaving stations (Plus manual overide).

Minature 5 Pole motors & micro drive, thus allowing full interior detailing & toilet.

Stay Alive Capicitors for smooth running in both cars.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

They have Pre-Fitted speakers on the underfloor of both cars, see drawing attached:

The Circuit boards have been designed by ESU for 21Pin Decoders.

Early Sounds are Leyland TL11 Engines from Legomanbiffo.

Later Sounds are Cummings  with Voith Transmissions from Legomanbiffo

The DCC Spec:

2 X ESU Sound Decoders operating motors in each car.

2 X ESU Designed Circuit boards.

Full Interior Passenger Lighting with Fluorescent flicker feature.

Day Time & Night Time Running.

Door Sounds (Both Bleeper Types) with operational door lights with Guards light delay feature.

Illuminated Destination Blind.

Cab Lights with directional automatic switch off when leaving stations (Plus manual overide).

Minature 5 Pole motors & micro drive, thus allowing full interior detailing & toilet.

Stay Alive Capicitors for smooth running in both cars.

Marvellous charlie... looks great. The spec sounds marvellous especially with all the attention to detail. I presume you pre-order a unit then upgrade to sound fitted later...

David

Thanks to Charlie for the update with the models. All look great. 

Some more results here from the scanner - complete with door froth. 

Photos of 142050 at Durham and then 142066 at Grosmont when I was getting the train back home from a visit to the NYMR. 

555293668_142050PBDHM.jpg.4c4ec6df6dd35fdb76fcfce0b016c743.jpg

968353199_142066PBGSM.jpg.0909bbcb2c5ef0972e9d06445e727c01.jpg

For those with the attention to detail, note that the BR logo is on the drivers cab and moved because these units were allocated to Manchester area and had the Network North West logo where the BR one would have been just past the door. It was removed later and then like the brown and cream ones hung on in sectorisation liveries for a while, before then being part of the group that was painted into Northern Spirit. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

21 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Marvellous charlie... looks great. The spec sounds marvellous especially with all the attention to detail. I presume you pre-order a unit then upgrade to sound fitted later...

David

That is correct, ESU have not had a price increase now for18 months, so when they do, we expect it to be 'Well above inflation' thus we would be silly to commit to a price right now.

That's why we are not listing them currently, all customers who have Pre-Ordered a Class 142 will be offered a 'Special Lower Price' and will be notified of this before it goes live on the Website.

Also please note the 'Pre-Order' price currently offered will not be the actual retail price when we have them, as the Pre-Order price on the Website will increase later this year, these two offers are a reward for our loyal customers support.

Charlie

Class 142 NH Witch.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

21 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Its at Shildon Locomotion museum, part of NRM family. 

NRM Shildon, and occasionally giving rides.

If visiting the area, pop into Kirk Merrington Primary School to see 142045.981223698_142001CabFront.jpg.74d82807913d646c9cebdbd3fef79be0.jpg

142045 Kirk Merrington.jpg

• Like 6