Class 142

charliepetty

On 06/02/2022 at 21:03, surfsup said:

Another + 2 for the First North Western livery. More so as I remember them like this (and something to run alongside my 143s) 

142070 & 142068

I hadn't noticed this before but that's a nice FNW/FGW Mash up. Interesting and thanks for sharing

On 13/02/2022 at 14:24, charliepetty said:

I was asked yesterday if we were doing the New 2 Leaf doors on the Class 142's,  we actually are doing a 'little bit' more than that !!!!!

142 Publicity 1.jpg

Looking forward to getting my hands on some Northern 142's, especially now that I've seen these CAD images!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

44 minutes ago, XChris said:

Looking forward to getting my hands on some Northern 142's, especially now that I've seen these CAD images!

Me too, though looks like will be waiting a little longer.   I already have the Realtrack 144 in Northern Rail livery which is far superior to my pair of 1989 Hornby 142s, one of which is still in its original Provincial two tone blue and the other was re-bodied to Northern Spirit.  Though I significantly improved the running of the Hornby ones by cross wiring between coaches so that pick up to serve both motors comes from all wheels.    Now that I am involved with ex-Northern 142s in preservation, a 142 in Northern livery is a must have though I refuse to pay the inflated prices which second hand Hornby ones in this livery now fetch.

Edited by cessna152towser
typos

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 11/03/2022 at 23:19, charliepetty said:

What about one with Barnstaple to Exeter destination blinds !!!!!

Yes please! Absolutely. I'd like to replicate this:

http://www.cyber-heritage.co.uk/north_devon_line_okehampton_web_optimised/306 142 1528 Ctl-Bple Eggesford Thur 9.10.86.html

Captioned as 142 1528 Exeter Ctl-Banstaple Eggesford Thur 9.10.86

• RMweb Gold

Quick search on flickr shows these units got around, found 142015 at Heaton Depot in Newcastle with Morpeth on the destination blind.  Be nice to be able to buy alternative blinds for destinations not covered in the production run. 

Personally I am keen to see some North East destinations such as Newcastle, Middlesbrough or Darlington on units in the sectorisation liveries.  It seams a lot of varieties passed through the North East, from the Provincial Livery, Skipper, Tyne & Wear and Regional Railways, hope we can see these liveres on models suitable for North East. 

Edited by rockmonkey
Typo

11 hours ago, rockmonkey said:

Quick search on flickr shows these units got around, found 142015 at Heaton Depot in Newcastle with Morpeth on the destination blind.  Be nice to be able to buy alternative blinds for destinations not covered in the production run. 

Personally I am keen to see some North East destinations such as Newcastle, Middlesbrough or Darlington on units in the sectorisation liveries.  It seams a lot of varieties passed through the North East, from the Provincial Livery, Skipper, Tyne & Wear and Regional Railways, hope we can see these liveres on models suitable for North East. 

There were a few of them sent to Newcastle that ended up working in the area. All of the ones that went into Tyne and Wear livery were formerly Choc and Cream. One 142026 survived for ages, with the yellow two leaf doors until then painted into Northern Spirit livery. Those that were are all ones that did carry original liveries being 25, 26, 50 and 65 off the top of my head. 

I grew up with Pacers having lived at Bishop Auckland so developed an interest alongside them having started most journeys with them. I keep meaning to try and get out some of my photos to help Charlie. Will see what I can do. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 13/03/2022 at 22:30, charliepetty said:

OK.  Will 142015 carrying the 'Exeter - Barnstaple' route blinds suit the Skipper Fans ?????

Nope, that is the one number that we already have (the Hornby Skipper was 142015). There are 12 other Skippers to choose from, so any other number would be preferable. Oh, and Cornwall beats Devon in every meaningful measure- I hope the destinations will be easily changeable by the amateur modeller as they are on the Bachmann 150/2 for example!

What is the anticipated release date of these?

10 hours ago, fiftyfour fiftyfour said:

Nope, that is the one number that we already have (the Hornby Skipper was 142015). There are 12 other Skippers to choose from, so any other number would be preferable. Oh, and Cornwall beats Devon in every meaningful measure- I hope the destinations will be easily changeable by the amateur modeller as they are on the Bachmann 150/2 for example!

What is the anticipated release date of these?

Thanks for that info, and I thought I new everything about 142's !!! 

Not that the Hornby model is a threat, as far as I can see the only prototypical feature they have got correct is 'Movement'

So in Chocolate & Cream 'Skipper' livery we will have:

142020 Barnstaple - Exeter (4 Leaf Doors)

142027 Sheffield - York

On the plus side we will have the odd feature that Hornby have missed off !!!

Full Carriage Lighting.

Bi-Directional Front & Rear running lights

Rear Reds & Front Whites switchable off. (For multiple running)

Working Cab Lights.

Full interior detailing.

100% correct roof detailing.

Seperatly fitted Exhaust Pipes.

Superbly detailed underframe & correct size of wheels.

Minature precision underfloor motor drive.

NEM couplings & BSI Dummy couplers.

Live intercarriage pickup collection.

Highly accurate livery application & specification.

21Pin DCC Interface & Pre Fitted speakers.

Legomanbiffo Sound Package.

That's the Skippers sorted then !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Bouncy Bouncy.

142 Early Seating.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 4

Perhaps Darlington to Saltburn for chocy and cream as they used to be regular on that route.  Off the top of my head, 142017 to 142022 were all chocy before then being painted into Tyne and Wear PTE livery version of Regional Railways and these were based at Heaton. I think 142023 to 25 and 26 were based at Leeds but 25 was also at Newcastle. I am sure 26 moved to Newcastle too as it was always working around the North east, with its yellow doors. 142023 was the first one painted into regional railways standard livery and was the depot pet of Neville Hill, hence why that one was also done for the Hornby model in that livery. 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Like 1

On 14/03/2022 at 23:19, rockmonkey said:

What about 142084 in Northern Blue (Newcastle - Middlesborough)

14 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Not that the Hornby model is a threat, as far as I can see the only prototypical feature they have got correct is 'Movement'

So in Chocolate & Cream 'Skipper' livery we will have:

142020 Barnstaple - Exeter (4 Leaf Doors)

142027 Sheffield - York

On the plus side we will have the odd feature that Hornby have missed off !!!

Be fair, the Hornby ones do bounce along the track!! (and they are at least 35 years old). Looking forward to the Skipper, when/how do we order?