Class 142

charliepetty

4 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I suspect with all the various gimmicks you're adding I won't be able to justify the expense of purchasing one. They certainly won't be at a "low price aimed at modellers"

So a Hornby one will probably do you then?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Theres always one. Theres no gimmicks on that model your making. As somsone who runs DCC and sound, and lights, this thing, has everything that is needed for really good operation to capture the attention of those watching. 

Totally loving the idea of a few of them in bay platforms on my layout with reds on at either end sat there idling away... 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

13 hours ago, charliepetty said:

Which 'Gimmicks' don't you want ????  Lights, DCC Interface, fine detailing ???

IF the Hornby was re-introduced it would be £170.00 and its basicly junk!!! 

Charlie

Keep up the good work Charlie!

I'm liking all of the extra effort you're putting in on this model.... well worth it IMO.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...

Considering the tech and detailing, that's still not bad given the way prices are going.  Still mulling over whether a "Rule 1" purchase could be justified, I always liked the 142s and although they never ran in revenue service in the West Midlands they did work test runs in the area.

• Agree 1

On 09/08/2022 at 16:37, nigb55009 said:

I seem to remember 142084 being fitted with a Gardner engine at some point. It was tried as a poosible replacement for 

the TL11, before the adoption of the Cummins engine. I`m not sure of the dates though.

Some time after 93 as it turned up at skipton after I had transferred from garston depot, if memory OK had some green light by sole bar local start stop button.....deep growl on starting...

On 09/08/2022 at 16:24, adb968008 said:

Thanks for this, you just settled a dispute I had with someone for 20 odd years…

I said for ages, the driving style of a 142 was the same as driving a Heritage DMU when introduced… gradual inputs, followed by step changing gears and revving…

exactly as this….

Since the changes, the style of engine reviving followed that of Sprinters..

high revs to build speed with a continued engagement of pace until full speed

i knew I wasnt imagining it.. 141’s were the same.

compare it to this to see what i mean..

Notch 1 engaged spazzy gearbox unit would lurch to a crawl notch 2 and 3 done nothing else notch 4 revs increased, most drivers buzzed buzzed and straight to notch 7

On 06/11/2022 at 23:36, richierich said:

Is there any plans for a multi-pin connector between vehicles so only one DCC decoder is needed? 

No and the main reason for this is reliability and customer damage to this fragile item, the 143 & 144 had an 8Pin plug which caused loads of grief, constant reliability issues with bent pins etc, and also to work the lighting feature we need far more than eight pins, thus an ugly Bachmann style coupling.

Charlie

142 Underfloor & Rear Bogie.jpg

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Notch 1 engaged spazzy gearbox unit would lurch to a crawl notch 2 and 3 done nothing else notch 4 revs increased, most drivers buzzed buzzed and straight to notch 7

Didnt those gearboxes start falling off, around the sametime class 155 doors started opening whilst at high speed ?

I was on a 155 when the door opened at high speed… the wind caught it exiting a tunnel, then the door mechanism engaged and slid it open… must have been doing 70+ at the time. I knocked on the guards door and he came out looked at it, went “huh thats not right”, and brought the train to a stand with the emergency handle. He locked the door out of use and we carried on.

Iirc thats why we got 5 years of NW loco hauled.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Didnt those gearboxes start falling off, around the sametime class 155 doors started opening whilst at high speed ?

I was on a 155 when the door opened at high speed… the wind caught it exiting a tunnel, then the door mechanism engaged and slid it open… must have been doing 70+ at the time. I knocked on the guards door and he came out looked at it, went “huh thats not right”, and brought the train to a stand with the emergency handle. He locked the door out of use and we carried on.

Iirc thats why we got 5 years of NW loco hauled.

142s have been dropping bits since new

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Ian_B said:

but how many lines would have gone if the 142's had not been introduced?

Ian_B

Turn that around and ask how many lines might go, now they've gone.

funding 195’s on branchlines that couldn't sustain a 142 isn't a recipe for future, when the only thing on the dft’s mind is savings… the 455’s went of Southern purely through cutbacks alone, Northern wont be immune either.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Turn that around and ask how many lines might go, now they've gone.

funding 195’s on branchlines that couldn't sustain a 142 isn't a recipe for future, when the only thing on the dft’s mind is savings… 

I think 484’s or similar would be more likely if there were other allocation options for the 195’s. While there’s units to shuffle around the cheapest hire will be used or spare traction from fleet hires. That’s why we saw a mix of diesel and electric traction on the Lymington branch for a while because they shuffled it around maintenance and availability to fill the week and weekend diagrams until other changes freed up electric units all week. 

3 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I think 484’s or similar would be more likely if there were other allocation options for the 195’s. While there’s units to shuffle around the cheapest hire will be used or spare traction from fleet hires. That’s why we saw a mix of diesel and electric traction on the Lymington branch for a while because they shuffled it around maintenance and availability to fill the week and weekend diagrams until other changes freed up electric units all week. 

I'd expect the converted tube carriages to put in an appearance (don't know their TOPS class)

Ian_B