Anti Tangle 3 links in 7mm

ThePurplePrimer

I am playing about with some 3 link couplings on my 7mm wagons and am having a small problem.

Somethimes if I am clumsy I manage to pull the first link ( the permanantly attached end ) over its own hook and get it hooked up / tangled

I vaguely remember reading somewhere of a mod to the chain or hook that would stop that happening

Any ideas ?

I am playing about with some 3 link couplings on my 7mm wagons and am having a small problem.

Somethimes if I am clumsy I manage to pull the first link ( the permanantly attached end ) over its own hook and get it hooked up / tangled

I vaguely remember reading somewhere of a mod to the chain or hook that would stop that happening

Any ideas ?

I think the problem may arise with the hook in two ways. Many of the ones in kits or bought-in ones from various sources seem to have a very sharp point at the top of the hook and benefit from a bit of judicious reshaping with a needle file. However, if the link is close to or shorter than the distance from the fixing hole to the top of the hook then you're going to be in trouble anyway, as it will drop over the point and go 'inside' the hook if lifted high enough.The best answer here is to make a slightly longer link that is bigger than the hook radius; that can't possibly get stuck inside the hook.

Another tip that I saw recently, which I am going to apply to new stock builds, is to solder the outer and middle links to make them effectively a single item; this helps with coupling up, and the stiffness of the paired links may put enough downward force on the inner link to stop it from getting tangled with the hook.

Archived