Another Mystery Locomotive

28XX

• RMweb Gold

I have a suspicion that the image is slightly laterally compressed - maybe in processing or just from the angle it was taken. It could be a Metro. I have come across this photo which has similarities. 

http://thumbs2.picclick.com/d/l400/pict/391544565837_/GWR-2-4-0T-Locomotive-No-1492-Real-Photographs-Broadstairs.jpg

I was just about to add the 517 class 0-4-2T. They were a Wolverhampton product designaed by George Armstrong and were basically a Northern division loco so more likely for the area of the photo

Not so. Though built at Wolverhampton, they were both Wolverhampton and Swindon maintained locos so also very common in the south. There were design differences particularly to things like bunkers, chimneys etc, that appeared over their long lives.

That said I do think the loco in the photo is a Metro – a few acquired weatherboards on the rear of the bunker – as there is no obvious sign of the front wheel splasher, the toolbox is at the front of the tank (517s usually had it in the middle). That said, 517 itself was a Northern Div loco which had the rear spectacle plate and front mounted tool box! For me the clincher is the apparent lack of front splasher – though I can't see the spring either.

• RMweb Gold

Not so. Though built at Wolverhampton, they were both Wolverhampton and Swindon maintained locos so also very common in the south. There were design differences particularly to things like bunkers, chimneys etc, that appeared over their long lives.

That said I do think the loco in the photo is a Metro – a few acquired weatherboards on the rear of the bunker – as there is no obvious sign of the front wheel splasher, the toolbox is at the front of the tank (517s usually had it in the middle). That said, 517 itself was a Northern Div loco which had the rear spectacle plate and front mounted tool box! For me the clincher is the apparent lack of front splasher – though I can't see the spring either.

The lack of spring may be due to a solid infill in the bridge railings. It is hard to see whether the railings were open, except where the adverts were, or had solid infills.

Looking at the relevant RCTS book, I would suggest it might be Metro tank No 617, of which there is a photo in said volume. It is fitted with the Wolverhampton bunker and backplate, and a Belpaire boiler. The words note: "while No. 617, which was at Aberystwyth about 1931, was probably the only engine of this class ever to be stationed in the Central Wales Division."

Archived