Carriage related nomenclature - pronunciation please

billy_anorak59

• RMweb Premium

The nice lady agrees with your pronunciation, but not quite with your etymology: https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dynamometer

The stress agrees with other common ometers. When did you last come across a thermo-meter?

Considering Dynamo is a shortened form of Dynamoelectric Machine derived from the Greek Dynamis (=Dynamic) and Dynamometer is from the French also derived from the Greek Dynamis (=Dynamic) I don't think it was too far out! :jester:

Keith

• RMweb Premium

CLEAR-story here.  As Mike SM and others note it refers to something akin to a "clear storey" above the main roof height principally to admit more light.

DY-na-MOM-itter despite apparent logic to go with DY-na-moe-MEET-er.

AL-ly-SIDE-on was the Deltic and racehorse in question

Offers on "catenary" please?  I always use cat-EEN-ary but have been "corrected" on several occasions by others suggesting it is CATE-nerry or CAT-en-arry.

And while referring to parts of a railway carriage (also applicable to road vehicles) that curve in the bodysode towards the lower edge is the TUM-bell-home (because the shape tumbles home rather being flat) and not as I have heard more than once Toom-BELL-ho-ME.

CLEAR-story here. As Mike SM and others note it refers to something akin to a "clear storey" above the main roof height principally to admit more light.

Offers on "catenary" please? I always use cat-EEN-ary but have been "corrected" on several occasions by others suggesting it is CATE-nerry or CAT-en-arry.

And while referring to parts of a railway carriage (also applicable to road vehicles) that curve in the bodysode towards the lower edge is the TUM-bell-home (because the shape tumbles home rather being flat) and not as I have heard more than once Toom-BELL-ho-ME.

The curve in towards the sole bar in the lower side is the turn under; tumblehome is the inward slope of the upper panel. The term comes from ship building and is there when when the sides slope in because the upper deck is narrower than the maximum beam of the vessel. Also discussed

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/59257-gresley-coach-turnunder/?p=743190

Jeremy

CLEAR-story here.  As Mike SM and others note it refers to something akin to a "clear storey" above the main roof height principally to admit more light.

Offers on "catenary" please?  I always use cat-EEN-ary but have been "corrected" on several occasions by others suggesting it is CATE-nerry or CAT-en-arry.

I stand corrected on clerestory.  Whether I'll be able to start using the correct pronunciation is another matter - old habits die hard!

I see no logic in "DY-na-moe-MEET-er".  A meter is something that measures stuff.  A dynamometer doesn't measure dynamos, the name derives from the ancient Greek dunamis meaning force, power*.  This is also the source of the name for the old CGS unit of force, the dyne, and for the device which generates electricity, the dynamo.  One English word doesn't derive from any of the others: they all use the same ancient Greek origin word, which was chosen by early scientists and engineers (who had been taught the classics) as a root for new English words that were needed as science and technology developed.   Yes, some dynamometers contain dynamos as part of the measurement apparatus, but there are other ways to achieve the same end result eg hydraulic dynamometers which measure torque, which can then be combined with rpm to give power.  Finally, the OED (surely the be-all and end-all in discussions of this nature) says that it's "DY-na-MOM-itter" - follow the link and click the speaker icon to hear it.

haxagon789 is quite right to point out the difference in pronunciation between "metre" and "meter".  That again supports "DY-na-MOM-itter", ie the same way that you pronounce speedometer, odometer and thermometer.  (Of course there are exceptions, like ammeter!)  I am regularly disappointed by BBC presenters pronouncing kilometre as "kill-O-mitter" - that would be something that measures kills, perhaps useful in a military context?  One doesn't speak of "cen-TIMM-itters" or "mill-IMM-itters".  (Presumably a "nan-O-mitter" is a device for measuring grandmothers!)

As for catenary, the OED has the English pronunciation as "cat-EEN-ary" (which is what I've always used, having first come across the word in the sense of a catenary curve at school in maths lessons), but in the US the pronunciation is apparently "CAT-en-ary".  Funny people...

* Note that the ancient Greeks clearly didn't understand physics!  Regrettably, many modern Western people still don't seem to be able to distinguish between force, energy and power.

• RMweb Premium

Likewise "Helicopter" should logically be prononunced "Helico - pter" (helico = spiral, pter = wing)

And often abbreviated to "Hell-eye" in military use defying more logic.

As a Southerner myself (and not a West Country Southerner), I don't think any Southerner puts an R in their pronunciation of Bath or Tomato. 

I am from Bedfordshire and I have always spoken the missing R in all three although the R in Tomato is only a small one. Compared to CARcel and BARth where the R is just about the main part of the word.

I can remember thinking how strange it sounded when working with a northerner when he mentioned Berkhamstead Cassell.

With you and ejstubbs on that one.

While we have diverted to place names, Rowsley, on the Matlock to Chinley line and now part of Peak Rail was always pronounced by my dad (he lived there for a time when 'e were a lad) as in ROWing boat or get your ducks in a ROW. I couldn't get near how I've heard some of the locals pronounce  their 'Owes' (as in hose). For some reason even some of the folks on Peak Rail call it ROUSEley.

Archived