"O" no it isn't.. Let the pantomime begin.

pitbull1845

Evening,

Sorry for my lack of contact. Night shifts and then a birthday weekend, so no modelling, actual or virtual... 

What's been said does make a lot of sense, I'm never going to have the room to replicate my 4mm fleet and so I will be more cautious with my decision making.  

The only news is that I've recently had a slater's brake van arrive. This will be my first attempt at a kit and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'll just have to take my time and hope for the best.

I think the next real installment will be after the Bristol show, which I'm really quite looking forward too. I just hope my birthday money lasts until then!

• RMweb Gold

You should be fine with a slaters kit, just take your time ;) Things like the tanks are complicated but the van should only need liquid glue and a right angle to help get it square. I once used a cocktail stick pack as a square ;)

I whole heartedly agree with the above reasoning. In the days when I modelled in British 00 and Continental H0 I had in excess of 150 locos most of which were test run only. Together with all the wagons and coaches to put behind them. Once I was tempted with 0 gauge and I saved up for my first loco I was hooked. The sheer size and presence of the larger scale blew me away. Over the ensuing years my 00 and H0 stock was sold and because it was in good condition I managed to raise enough money to keep my Ramchester layout going.

Many years ago when I was a young lad I used to operate a layout based on the Callander & Oban section of the Caledonian Railway which was coarse scale O clockwork with 4 stations in a 12ft x 8ft shed. I derived so much pleasure from this that my lifetime dream was to have a layout based on the London Midland region of BR.

At the time 0 gauge was the province of the scratch builder with little being available and it was not until I retired some 8 years ago that I really got into the larger scale. The best thing I ever did in modelling terms was to move up permanently into 7mm to the foot and I have never looked back. Ramchester is the culmination of my childhood dream. HSB and I have worked hard during the last six years or so to develop the layout which in my very humble opinion looks good. Perhaps I am biased but keeping focussed has helped me achieve my pope dream.

Rod

I absolutely love O Gauge. If I could start again and only had room for an inglenook type shunting layout, I'd prefer that to a larger layout in a smaller scale. The wagons do it for me. The have an 'aura' for want of a better word, that smaller scale ones don't. It has something to do with weight, inertia, and all that stuff I don't really understand.

Thank you Scott for your kind words about Ramchester. Howard and I have worked steadily on the layout for about 6½ years but we still have a fair way to go before it is "finished". It has given me a great deal of pleasure to date but without the help of my friend Howard it would not have got this far owing to my poor eyesight.

Please Scott don't go through every one of the 50+ pages or you will never do any modelling!

Best wishes

Rod

Evening,

.....The only news is that I've recently had a slater's brake van arrive. This will be my first attempt at a kit and I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew. I'll just have to take my time and hope for the best.......

Hi pitbull. There is certainly more to building some wagons / stock in O than there is in smaller scales.

But it's just that there are more components to some kits than others. Don't be overwhelmed by this - honestly, if you can build kits in 4mm, you can build them in 7mm too, and moreover, you can usually see the bits more easily! ;)

I know all that underframe detail can look complex and daunting, but it really isn't. As others have said, there's just something about the mass of O gauge - you'll get more of a sense of satisfaction with that kit once it's finished too. I know, cos I built one a few years back. Something that hit me once I'd built mine, was that brake vans are quite large in comparison to many open wagons - you don't notice the size difference in 4mm, but you do in O.

Also, I find that I used to spend ages on small details and weathering / painting in 4mm..... and I could never see those small details again, as soon as the stock was on the layout, and sat amid other wagons. However, I do still notice small details in 7mm, and am always pleased that I can still see details I pondered over when building it years ago :)

Just be patient with the brake van matey - don't try to get it built in an afternoon... one step at a time

The thing about 0 gauge is if you know how the brakegear works, you expect it all to be there in the kit. No short-cuts as happens in 4mm. It took me a whole day to build the last pair of LMS coach bogies, but you start at the beginning and end up with a really worthwhile model.

Since I started in 0 Gauge I still find all the fiddly bits a challenge so I leave them off. As I can't really see them when playing running trains it doesn't worry me, provided the thing runs well the imagination fills in the gaps.  The plan is that as ability improves from nothing to mediocre details can start to be added but tbh I have so little patience for that I remain content.

• RMweb Gold

I can remember not long after I started in 0 gauge taking an ABS kit for a GWr loco caol wagon with me on a course to occupy the evenings (and save on beer money). I was finding it difficult to work out how the DC Brake gear went together. I was sat at the table in the digs I was staying in and the householder took an interest before saying we should have a diagram of that at work. It turned out he worked at Powell Duffryn. He never found the diagram but I had an interesting tour of the works and was able to inspect the disc brakes they were installing on modern stock.

If you get stuck you can post a question on RMWeb someone will generally help.

Don

Evening,

Thanks for the comments regarding the kit. I've taken it out of the box twice, looked at it and then put it back. Once the festivities are over with, I'll sit down and have a look at it properly and commence the build.  Well at least attempt it.

In the mean time I've just pre-ordered a Heljan 37 and I've got a couple more wagons en-route. I was also hovering over the Heljan 60 too but think I'd better sell some OO stuff first..

I'm currently doodling plans at work... I'm on nights now until Christmas day morning, so plenty of time for designing, and hopefully not buying!

• 3 weeks later...

Morning,

Just a quick post before I dash out again running around after the kids... 

Things have been a little quiet on here for a few weeks for obvious reasons, but I'm hoping to get things moving shortly.

I've had two wagons arrive and a new loco, bit of a spur of the moment decision, but sometimes you've just got to do it. Especially if your life's pretty messed up at the moment!

So here she is

post-6849-0-64084800-1484134497.jpg

post-6849-0-99416800-1484134505.jpg

First impressions are good, I'm not sure how easy it will be to DCC, it currently has a Roger Murray lighting kit installed. I have a funny feeling "Lees Locos" may be getting an email!

Still have no idea about the layout theme, the CDA wagons seem to set it in Cornwall, but not sure if that's a bit too limited.. Might have to sell them on, we'll see.. 

I still haven't started the brake van kit either, really must pull my finger out.. 

Right I'm off out, enjoy your day...

Hi Scott

47 looks good you certainly got your mind on 0 gauge you won't regret it take your time,and only get what you need it will cost more but worth it if you need help I am only down the road best of luck.

Steve

Thanks Steve;

Good point about only getting what you need; I think I'll have to be quite strict when it comes to a layout plan; and stick to it once I've decided.. something I've failed to do in OO..

I wouldn't mind popping down and having a matter and look at your layout. When does the cheesey chip hut open for business??

• 1 month later...

Archived