SR locos at Temple Meads

Karhedron

Does anyone know if SR locos and particularly Light Pacifics visited Bristol Temple Meads much in the 50s and 60s? I know that there were a couple of through trains per day to Bournemouth over S&D so it seems feasible. The photos I have found of these through trains usually show a BR standard of some sort as motive power. I am guessing that they took over after reversal at Bath Green Park.

I am looking for regular(ish) workings rather than specials or one-offs. If anyone can shed light on this or has photos, I would be interested to see them.

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if SR locos and particularly Light Pacifics visited Bristol Temple Meads much in the 50s and 60s? I know that there were a couple of through trains per day to Bournemouth over S&D so it seems feasible. The photos I have found of these through trains usually show a BR standard of some sort as motive power. I am guessing that they took over after reversal at Bath Green Park.

I am looking for regular(ish) workings rather than specials or one-offs. If anyone can shed light on this or has photos, I would be interested to see them.

Colin Maggs book 'The GWR Bristol to Bath Line' says that in the 1930s, D15, T12 & T9 4-4-0s worked a Salisbury to Bristol and return  journey once a day. He doesn't mention anything about the post-war period, except that Bulleid pacifics worked football specials, through to Ashton Gate, fairly often, and at the end of 1960 a landslip caused the Pines to be diverted via BTM with the SR engines removed and turned at St.Philip's Marsh, ready to work the down Pines.

One of my favorite photos, which my Dad took, is of a LNER B1 storming into BTM with the regular Weston-super-Mare to Sheffield, Saturdays only. 

post-14351-0-05644300-1482502379_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You want to be looking at the Portsmouth-Cardiff service as well as the S & D trains.  This used to reverse at TM and would produce 33s at Cardiff in the mid 60s, back when we called them D65s, fairly regularly, and Southern Region demus would turn up at Bristol as well, so SR steam engines a decade earlier might well have run through past Salisbury.  Another possibility is SR locos working through to East Depot or Stoke Gifford, and possibly Severn Tunnel Junction where all sorts of exotica might turn up, but I have never heard of it or seen photos.  

Traction knowledge was not an issue with steam locos, crews were expected to climb aboard, work it out for themselves, and get on with it, unfamiliarity and the consequent failure to get the best out of the loco probably accounting for many of the dismissive comments about other railways' hardware, but It increased the likelihood of locos 'working through' when a shed was short of prepared engines for whatever reason and a booked loco change didn't happen.  Your dad's cracking shot of the B1 running in from the Exeter end is probably such an occurrence.  If the loco had worked down from Sheffield the day before, and was booked a change at New Street but one wasn't available, then there wouldn't even be a booked loco at Gloucester, and so on; by the following day the ER would be chasing it's missing loco, which of course was most conveniently returned to them on the reciprocal working.  Familiar with her or not, the crew seem to be on top of things nicely with the safety valves just lifting, but the amount of smoke suggests that the fireman is still having to put coal on even as she slows down.

Looking at the lads on the platform end, seems that ex-LNER engines are of no real interest to some of them!

You'd have thought that the sight of this running in would have got them ALL standing to attention!

They must have all spotted it when it went through in the opposite direction!

• RMweb Premium

I sure that I have seen pictures of Bullied light pacific's working the line between Salisbury and Westbury on workings that would have continued to Bristol. 

• RMweb Gold

You want to be looking at the Portsmouth-Cardiff service as well as the S & D trains.  This used to reverse at TM and would produce 33s at Cardiff in the mid 60s, back when we called them D65s, fairly regularly, and Southern Region demus would turn up at Bristol as well, so SR steam engines a decade earlier might well have run through past Salisbury.  Another possibility is SR locos working through to East Depot or Stoke Gifford, and possibly Severn Tunnel Junction where all sorts of exotica might turn up, but I have never heard of it or seen photos.  

Traction knowledge was not an issue with steam locos, crews were expected to climb aboard, work it out for themselves, and get on with it, unfamiliarity and the consequent failure to get the best out of the loco probably accounting for many of the dismissive comments about other railways' hardware, but It increased the likelihood of locos 'working through' when a shed was short of prepared engines for whatever reason and a booked loco change didn't happen.  Your dad's cracking shot of the B1 running in from the Exeter end is probably such an occurrence.  If the loco had worked down from Sheffield the day before, and was booked a change at New Street but one wasn't available, then there wouldn't even be a booked loco at Gloucester, and so on; by the following day the ER would be chasing it's missing loco, which of course was most conveniently returned to them on the reciprocal working.  Familiar with her or not, the crew seem to be on top of things nicely with the safety valves just lifting, but the amount of smoke suggests that the fireman is still having to put coal on even as she slows down.

I believe that the ER loco worked through to WSM and back on a regular basis. The Taunton MRC Green Park layout featured a similar working when it appeared in RM (I think).

I believe that the ER loco worked through to WSM and back on a regular basis. The Taunton MRC Green Park layout featured a similar working when it appeared in RM (I think).

Locomotives Of The LNER suggests it was relatively common after B1s started to be allocated to ex-LMS sheds, which fits given that the B1 in the picture has a Canklow shed plate.

• RMweb Gold

I sure that I have seen pictures of Bullied light pacific's working the line between Salisbury and Westbury on workings that would have continued to Bristol. 

They would've been 'specials or one-offs' ( see original post).

One-offs or not, they may have come off at Westbury.  Photo evidence north of Westbury strongly suggests through working to TM.

I did not know that, glad now I only claimed it was 'probably' a no relief work through...

• RMweb Gold

Locomotives Of The LNER suggests it was relatively common after B1s started to be allocated to ex-LMS sheds, which fits given that the B1 in the picture has a Canklow shed plate.

B1s that were booked to come off at Temple Meads, but for which the relieving loco was unavailable, sometimes worked beyond, eventually being relieved at Taunton and even Exeter St Davids on occasion.

One I "copped" in Exeter was, for some years, the only ER loco underlined in my first Combined Volume!

Unfortunately both the book and my ability to recollect the number, are long gone. 

John   

In the 1960's SR Light Pacifics were occasional visitors to Bristol on football specials to Bristol City's ground at Ashton Gate. They also worked through to Clifton Down Station with excursions to Bristol Zoo with locos being serviced at St Philips Marsh. In the mid 1960's they would sometimes be used to tow groups of withdrawn engines from Eastleigh or Salisbury on the first stage of their journey to South Wales scrapyards. Troop specials also were run to Bristol or South Wales with the locos working throughout.

In 1963 34038 was stabled on St Philips Marsh for a number of weeks.

One surprising appearance was 34051 piloting Hall 4960 on the 10.50 to Salisbury on Saturday August 11, 1962.

The link below shows them leaving Platform 6 at Bristol Temple Meads.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/60631240@N02/24435896040/in/photolist-qYeo6z-moQKhD-e1upDT-qYFWHn-5HW7V2-p78DcB-Dejmyq-q347EM

A better photo of this train can be found in recently published "Steam around Bristol : the Final Years" by David Nicholas and Patrick O'Brien (Amberley Publishing"

The photo below shows 34014 stabled at Bristol Barrow Road en route to South Wales.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5154259356/in/photolist-8RsVJC-cEDoVs

Archived