Ashurst for bitcorn

Southern matt 982

If you are stuck for a name for a Southern layout, Thomas Hardy is a good source ........ lots of editions of his novels have a map in the back, withem all marked on. Personally, I cadged from Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, though.

Good luck with the layout; it's coming on nicely.

Kevin

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When you have thought of one, check to see whether a real place exists with that name. Unless you are recreating a fictional line based on a specific location, that didn't have a railway, it gets confusing if you choose a name of an existing station. There was a layout in the model press recently, named Seaford, which was in a completely different part of the country and considerably larger than our one-platform south coast terminus. There are other Seafords, but in other countries.

As yours is a Southern layout, why not play about with related names like Stroudleigh or Bullyard - I have checked Google maps - neither exists with those spellings.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just take a look around the typical place names in your themed area and see what elements exist.

The Saxon -ing, -ton, and -ham are prevalent across Sussex for example but less common in Kent or Hampshire.  -bury is quite widespread across England and generally refers to the burial place of some ancient saint or cleric.  A suffix "Bottom" is also typically southern though few stations were so named perhaps out of a sense of decency.  Would you wish to commute from Pratt's Bottom or Cow Bottom for example?  -bourne is common from Sussex to Dorset though less so in Kent and refers to a small river; often there were multiple "bournes" in one area as in all the Winterbournes across Dorset.  One imagines the river might only have become significant in that season.

-hurst is an East Sussex and Kent suffix though a few occur elsewhere such as Brockenhurst.  Almost anywhere might include the word "Green" though in west Dorset and east Devon this is usually "Bere" or "Beare" meaning a green place; note also Beare Green in Surrey which is tautological and the home of Peco products for your layout which is Beer from the same origin.  -field is a widespread suffix and could be used as a prefix element instead such as (the fictitious, to my knowledge) "Field's Bottom".

You could create almost any credible and pronounceable prefix for these endings and have a plausible southern name.  Neither does the pronunciation have to be obvious and it's entirely up to you.  Not everyone would guess "Worthing" is "Werr - thing" with a soft th sound.  I've heard attempts from "Wort-a-hing" via "Whirr-THing" with a hard th to "Worry-thing".  

Good luck.  Invite us to the christening ;)

• Like 2

When I was trying to conjure up a Kent-based name, I looked at the line from Swanley to Ashford via Maidstone East, and noticed that almost all of the stations either contained or were suffixed by -ford, -ing, or -ham.

Eynsford, Shoreham, Lullingstone (never opened), Otford, Kemsing, Borough Green & Wrotham, West Malling, East Malling, Barming, Bearsted & Thurnham, Hollingbourne, Harrietsham, Lenham and Charing.

I seriously considered 'Fordingham' and 'Hamingford'.

• Like 1

If I had built a layout like that, I think I would have named it after one of the fictional villages in Midsomer Murders. Somehow it looks like it would fit in to one of the episodes quite easily.

Edited by Wolseley
  • Like 1

Hi matt

The layout is coming along nicely i really like all the little details you are adding like the sheds and all the small details in the gardens.

How many lines do you ahve in the fiddle yard ?

Stuart

Edited by shreives
  • Like 1

Well, given that you are a Southern fan call Matt - "Southern Matt" - something like South Mattingley, which suggests Hampshire and puts you in LSWR and SE&CR territory, suggests itself. 

Nice layout and, I imagine, a very satisfying creation.

• Like 1

This is a fascinating thread! I like the information in Gwiwer's post, and had never thought about the prevalence of 'ing's and 'hams' in Sussex before. Although it's been said that a name is not essential, personally I think it's helpful because it affords your layout a sense of realism and identity. How about combining some of the Kentish/southern forms with those found in Devon, such as 'Hurstcombe' or 'Berehaven' or something like that?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely nothing wrong with a combination of elements.

Hurstingcombe, which in the local manner would probably be pronounced "Hurst-ing-'um, trips off my tongue a little more easily than Hurstcombe but it's your layout and your right to name it.  I would use Bearehaven in preference to Berehaven but again that is only personal preference.

I mentioned the ending -ton above but overlooked the frequently-occurring -don.  This is not an alternative form of -ton but refers to a geographic feature usually a valley (compare the present "dean", "dene" and "down") but confusingly also could refer to a hill (also confused in present use where "down" can be an up as in the South Downs)

-ton is considered to have been a more substantial settlement (compare the present "town" which has approximately the same status) while -ing was a lesser settlement or just a recognisable place but is also ascribed to mean "the people of ..... " as in Durrington, the people of that settlement which I believe was Duerr in Old English.  -ham was a farm, homestead or landholding and compares to the modern day "home"

A more complete reference to the place-name elements of England can be found here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_generic_forms_in_place_names_in_the_United_Kingdom_and_Ireland and with similar pages for other countries.  As always some care is required with Wikipedia when asserting accuracy and and cross-referencing to more scientific sources is advised when discussing specific history.

To me that is more reminiscent of a small northern town or large village, rather than either Kent or Devon. I think partly the reason for that is that so many of the 'ready to place' buildings for model railways seem to be based on places like Doncaster and other towns and villages in Yorkshire. It's quite difficult to find southern themed buildings in my experience.

• RMweb Premium

Don't try to get too much into a small space.  Take a look at my main layout, Penhayle Bay, via the link in my signature.  It has two stations, two villages represented, is no less than 34 metres around the circuit yet has only four houses on the entire layout.  One is in open space on the farm, three are clustered around the small station and the other village is simply assumed and represented only by a pub on the road near the station.  There's also a church all on its own up on a hillside which is something you can find in many villages around the country.  Penhayle Bay also has a few cottages painted onto the back scene and one at an angle part-modelled and part-painted which seems to help with the reality check as nothing is square-on and it looks as though everything grew randomly over time.

Many a village has a terrace of fairly modern houses somewhere and often near the railway but the houses and half-relief shop buildings you already have are more akin to a medium-sized town.  Another tip to help with the reality is to add a little landscaping.  Even if it's just a slight rise your buildings may well look more interesting if they are not all flat on a board.  All of this is up to you.  At this stage it's easy to change things.  Take a look at actual places using Google Earth / Street View and see just how flat they are not.  

In terms of naming does it really matter whether the place is a village or a town?  A name is a name.  Many villages are actually larger than some towns.  The strict definition is now well and truly blurred anyway.  Enjoy the modelling and a name may just arise one day.  That is what happened to me.  In seeking a name for my layout, which ended up being christened for the smaller station, I used the name of the town I spend many years living in (Hayle), added a typically Cornish prefix Pen- and then figured it should have water so it became Bay.  That name just popped into my head.  Penhayle Bay.  It was perfect and does not exist in reality.  It also includes the element eBay which was where I got some of the original rolling stock from - and I still run some of that stock to this day.

It's quite difficult to find southern themed buildings in my experience.

Other than signal boxes ;)  

Whilst agreeing that the houses make it look a bit Northern, I would suggest going back to your original idea and basing it somewhere like Kent. Plenty of Southern towns had industry that would need workers housing and yet still remained semi rural. I'm thinking somewhere like Swanley.

Some images of Swanley here show terraced houses similar to those on your layout. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=swanley&biw=1366&bih=651&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjEuK-qzqzRAhXmC8AKHZ1lCkwQ_AUICCgD&dpr=1#imgrc=_

Especially these ones of Station Road.

http://www.francisfrith.com/swanley/swanley-station-road-1952_s389016

http://www.francisfrith.com/swanley/swanley-station-road-1952_s389014

Jason

• Like 1