The Heaton Mersey Mogul

Hi David,

Or, you could solder the two parts off the model, trim, clean up and then fix to the bulk head with epoxy. Gives you time to adjust before it cures and is easy to clean up any excess. Tucked away in there the epoxy will be more than strong enough.

Looking good though.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi David,

Or, you could solder the two parts off the model, trim, clean up and then fix to the bulk head with epoxy. Gives you time to adjust before it cures and is easy to clean up any excess. Tucked away in there the epoxy will be more than strong enough.

Looking good though.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks.

Yes glue was an option, but the iron was warm!

I had hoped to complete the tender at the weekend, but the demands of the office meant that I had no time at all at the bench. However, I did manage an hour last night so fixed the doors with my usual method of producing a hinge from tubing, wire and scratch etch. I also got the MOK buffer bodies prepared and fixed. So it is now ready for clean up and then the small iron and glue (not at the same time!) for the other fixings.

post-13840-0-71381700-1487636037_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-79200800-1487636040_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Looking good David, but I hope you're going to straighten that l/h handrail?!  :jester:

Regards, Deano.

Well spotted! Yes I will. I only noticed it from the photo: such a cruel mistress.............

I am hoping that the tender at least will be complete and primed and on view at Kettering. How much of the loco will be with it is an entirely different question, but there should be some.

• Like 1

Well spotted! Yes I will. I only noticed it from the photo: such a cruel mistress.............

I am hoping that the tender at least will be complete and primed and on view at Kettering. How much of the loco will be with it is an entirely different question, but there should be some.

Noooo! leave it. Part of the weathering realism!!  :devil:

Regards

Sandy

It has been a dire week at the office, but at last we have a tender ready for final wash and brush up.

post-13840-0-77832100-1488014476_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-54593500-1488014481_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-07148200-1488014486_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-54419000-1488014490_thumb.jpg

I had thought about taking this to Kettering but I don't want to risk any damage: the coal rails and tool iron bracket are not as sturdy as a Stanier tender.

Edited by david.hill64
  • Like 4

Hi David,

Hope you have a good day at Kettering and sell some kits. I can't make it which is a shame as it would have been good to have a chat with you.

The tender is looking good but I notice a couple of thing that need attention. The coal rails at the front are protruding and need cutting back and the right side handrail needs filing back at the top to the knob. It may be you've already noticed since taking the pictures and already corrected. It's amazing what you see in the pictures that you sometimes don't see looking directly at the model.

Cheers,

Peter

Edited by PAD

Hi David,

Hope you have a good day at Kettering and sell some kits. I can't make it which is a shame as it would have been good to have a chat with you.

The tender is looking good but I notice a couple of thing that need attention. The coal rails at the front are protruding and need cutting back and the right side handrail needs filing back at the top to the knob. It may be you've already noticed since taking the pictures and already corrected. It's amazing what you see in the pictures that you sometimes don't see looking directly at the model.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks.

The coal rails have caused me a great deal of head scratching and photo gazing. The rails as supplied are clearly designed so that the side rails protrude ahead of the cross rails and I have been undecided about whether they should be cut back or not.

Agree about that handrail but easily done.

I found the perfect photo that shows clearly that Peter is correct and the coal rails should bend round the front, so mods have been made. The photo makes it look like the door is askew, but I think that is just some strange parallax effect.

post-13840-0-10756300-1488165340_thumb.jpg

So work resumed on the loco. Both front and rear sections have been attached to the main part of the running plate.

post-13840-0-21281200-1488165318_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-18634400-1488165322_thumb.jpg

Geoff had warned me that there is a problem with the kit with the frames being too long. I thought he meant in terms of overall length, but when I offered the frames to the running plate, it is clear that the interference is just ahead of the cylinders.

post-13840-0-49340100-1488165326_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-63579900-1488165330_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-55656400-1488165335_thumb.jpg

I will plough on for a bit and then I think add the cylinders before cutting back the frames, otherwise there will be only a small part of the frames left ahead of the cylinders and it might be vulnerable to my ham fistedness!

Off to the airport in a minute to swap workbenches, so no updates on this for a week or so,

• Like 7

"I will plough on for a bit and then I think add the cylinders before cutting back the frames, otherwise there will be only a small part of the frames left ahead of the cylinders"

Hi David,

I would be inclined to solder some brass section inside the frames, to beef up the very shallow section that will remain after you cut them.

Cheers,

Peter

"I will plough on for a bit and then I think add the cylinders before cutting back the frames, otherwise there will be only a small part of the frames left ahead of the cylinders"

Hi David,

I would be inclined to solder some brass section inside the frames, to beef up the very shallow section that will remain after you cut them.

Cheers,

Peter o 

Yes, something will have to be done! I will as I said get a bit further in before deciding when and where to make the changes. 

Looks like another instruction supplement required.......(I am not allowed to make changes to these instructions and diagrams unless I do a total re-write and re-draw).

• 2 weeks later...

After the enforced break it was nice to get back to the bench for an hour today. As planned I am ploughing on withe the superstructure.

I thought it would be a good idea to add the front frame extensions to give some rigidity to the front end so I cut away the front bridge and fitted them. Following this the other bridges ere removed, the cab sides laminated and joined to the front. I made a silly mistake with this. In the absence of any clue in the instructions I soldered the spectacle plate in front of the sides as I thought it would look neater that way. Wrong! The cab would then not sit properly so it was out with the gas torch, and re-attach with the sides to the outside of the spectacle plate. With that done, the cab sat on the footplate nicely and was soldered in place.

So this is today's work:

post-13840-0-35778300-1489234115_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-77642100-1489234119_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-60103900-1489234137_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-13365100-1489234125_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-50271400-1489234129_thumb.jpg

post-13840-0-88233600-1489234132_thumb.jpg

I think the front frame extensions are going to interfere with the cylinders, so there will be remedial work to follow...............

• Like 4

Hello David,

all is not lost as I mentioned in my last post cut the fronts off the frames (drastic) then make the front frame extensions fit to the front of the cylinders after that you then make the front of the frames fit the frame extensions, and you also get the frames in front of the cylinders at the right width.

OzzyO.

Hello David,

all is not lost as I mentioned in my last post cut the fronts off the frames (drastic) then make the front frame extensions fit to the front of the cylinders after that you then make the front of the frames fit the frame extensions, and you also get the frames in front of the cylinders at the right width.

OzzyO.

Thanks for the suggestion: I am looking forward to getting on with it but my working pattern this week has been as follows:

Leave home for work: 08:00

Return home for dinner and sleep: 18:00

Leave home for work: 23:00

Return home for sleep and breakfast: 04:00

Leave home for work: 08:00 etc etc

As you can imagine this has played havoc with the loco building. I have been attending tests of the Bangkok Skytrain extension to E15 (Samrong) station. All very interesting and it's nice to be playing trains at 12" to 1' scale again, but I am looking forward to this weekend and playing with a hot soldering iron.

Thanks for the suggestion: I am looking forward to getting on with it but my working pattern this week has been as follows:

Leave home for work: 08:00

Return home for dinner and sleep: 18:00

Leave home for work: 23:00

Return home for sleep and breakfast: 04:00

Leave home for work: 08:00 etc etc

As you can imagine this has played havoc with the loco building. I have been attending tests of the Bangkok Skytrain extension to E15 (Samrong) station. All very interesting and it's nice to be playing trains at 12" to 1' scale again, but I am looking forward to this weekend and playing with a hot soldering iron.

Jeez. With a work pattern like that you'll be falling asleep with the hot iron in your hand! Wot was that you said about retirement?....makes my impending 4 12 hour nights seem a doddle.

Cheers

Jon F

Edited by Jon Fitness

Don't know about a job, that sounds more like modern slavery. I hope your involvement with the railway tests isn't of a safety critical nature with that little rest.

Dave.

It's only this week and a little of next. I got the good news today that I don't have to work all weekend so am pleased about that.

The safety critical parts of the job - commissioning a new interlocking, updating an existing interlocking and upgrading onboard ATP software - were done by others a couple of weeks ago. I am just specifying whole system tests and observing them. The operational details are left to others more competent than I. I'm on hand in case of unexpected results and a need to update the test on the fly.

Long hours are a fact of life in Asia and long hours in the final stages before opening a railway are the norm. Put the two together and it is quite taxing.

On the other hand in the weeks that I am home I tend to work a minimum 14 hours per day at the melting pot and breaking down etches while Trisha does the same with her normal job and packing kits. Definitely time to give up one job and concentrate on the other two!

Well David, I wish you the very best with it all, A complete contrast to my sedentary, retired lifestyle.

I thoroughly enjoy your modelling thread, even though I don't work in 7 mm scale, so keep up the good work.

Regards,

Dave.

.....Long hours are a fact of life in Asia....

Always have been, and that's partly why the region is attractive to Western companies seeking to outsource. The working conditions, etc. might well be considered unlawful over here, and would certainly make the unions very unhappy.

David, the day job is getting in trouble he way of the real work! Hope that the odd glass of malt is helping with things.

Look forward to the build continuing when this are bit more calm for you.

Very best,

David