Keyers/Nucast Ex-TVR S Class Loco

Hi All,

Not sure if this should go under prototype or kit, but seeing as it's the kit I'm talking about now, kit it is. My question:

Is the kit based on a MW? It looks so from the images that pop up on the web when googled. If so what type? Precursor to the H type? Or earlier? Or is it something else?

Cheers, James

Hi All,

Not sure if this should go under prototype or kit, but seeing as it's the kit I'm talking about now, kit it is. My question:

Is the kit based on a MW? It looks so from the images that pop up on the web when googled. If so what type? Precursor to the H type? Or earlier? Or is it something else?

Cheers, James

According to Russel the S-class comprised a single locomotive (Taff Vale No. 107 later 267) from Hudswell Clarke in 1867 to work the top of Pwllyrhebog incline along with another similar locomotive of TVR class T.  Under the GWR the S class loco became 1342 . It went to Swindon in 1925 and never left.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply guys, helps heaps!

So, essentially could be/is a contractor locomotive then?

I had noticed a few kits popping up that we'll known auction site and thought they could be the basis for kitbashing into a early MW.

Interestingly built by Hudswell Clarke that did contract build a few MW locos in the late 1890's, which might be why it bears some resemblance.

Thanks once again!

J

Thanks for the reply guys, helps heaps!

So, essentially could be/is a contractor locomotive then?

I had noticed a few kits popping up that we'll known auction site and thought they could be the basis for kitbashing into a early MW.

Interestingly built by Hudswell Clarke that did contract build a few MW locos in the late 1890's, which might be why it bears some resemblance.

Thanks once again!

J

Basically, yes. Most 0-4-0ST contractor's locomotives looked more or less like that. Since a great many of them were built in the same corner of Leeds that is perhaps not all that surprising?

Adam

I built a copy of this kit back in the 1980's and used it as a shunter in a brewery complex. It was sold off years ago but I do have another part built example which I may get around to finishing one day (along with umpteen other locomotive kits). Due to the very short wheelbase I had problems with power pickup through points and crossings which was eventually solved by adding a semi-permanently attached wagon with extra pickups through to the loco.

Dave R. 

Final question - is there a preference between Keyers and NuCast? Both the same quality?

The bodies will be that same as Ks passed to Nucast. Nucast did introduce new etched chassis to some or all of the ex Ks kits but as none of them is available nowadays you have to take what you can get.

Thanks DGW1247 - will start searching for that article and thanks Bruce, looks like the NuCast one is the one to keep my eyes peeled for.

Paul - chance email to Chivers paid off :) so did the one to. Branch lines for the MJR castings.

Thanks for the info everyone - bit more googling has zero'd in on a few more prototypes, including this near identical one made by Manning Wardle

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/0001-g-burch-e-patrick-408.jpg

And these ones made by Hunslet, Manning Wardle and Hudswell Clarke

http://www.railwayarchive.org.uk/stories/pages.php?enum=LE118&pnum=7&maxp=10

Southport Steamport (great name btw - used to live there and got to drive a loco or two at weekends when I was a kid) - I've got some of the castings and may well pick up a model - little outside my era, but I do like the Manning Wardles

Ambis Engineering do an etch for the chassis of this loco. Unfortunately it doesn't, or didn't when I bought it, include the connecting or coupling rods, or the cylinders, which, presumably, would be sourced from the K's kit. Their website is being updated at the moment, so I can't access any more detail on it.

Archived