Missing Slaters Axlebox and Other Bits (7mm MR van)

BG John

I've just acquired a Slaters 7mm MR van, in a partly disassembled state, and it has one axlebox missing. Any suggestions for the easiest way to make or find a replacement?

The brake gear looks a bit knocked about too, but I can cobble something together for that.

Laminated plasticard? Bit fiddly, but essentially free.

Alternatively, make a mould from one of the others, and cast in resin, I have done this with the Sylmaster kit, but it might be possible in plasticine and araldite, albeit at the cost of a load more cleaning up.

Best

Simon

I've just acquired a Slaters 7mm MR van, in a partly disassembled state, and it has one axlebox missing. Any suggestions for the easiest way to make or find a replacement?

The brake gear looks a bit knocked about too, but I can cobble something together for that.

Hi what does it look like I have a box of bits.

Cheers

This is what it should look like:

post-7091-0-32193200-1484173021.jpg

And this is what it does look like:

post-7091-0-56621400-1484173023.jpg

It's tempting to have a go at making one, either by casting, or using my Silhouette Portrait, but much easier to get hold of one ready made!

If anyone comes across one without much effort I'd be grateful, otherwise I'll contact Slaters. I've got a variety of ready made wagons bought quite cheaply and in need of some work, as well as this freeby, so I'll check if I need any other parts before contacting Slaters.

Hi John,

I had stayed out of this one as my 10t Midlands brake has slightly different boxes, with the word 'OIL' written on it, and I didn't have any spares.

However I do have some Midland 8t wagon ones that look to be the same as yours, I will pop one in the post.

post-18627-0-93728200-1484174150_thumb.jpg

Peter

PS If you need any brake gear bits as well let me know.

EDIT PPS I'll wait until you've done a list of bits for all your wagons if you like, I've got a box full of bits that may have something you need. Let me know what's needed.

That's great. Thanks Peter. It should be re-united with some stuff out of your loft in the not too distant future. I think I finally have a final plan :).

I'll take Peter up on his offer, as he's actually found the part I need. Thanks to the other people who offered, both in this topic and by PM.

I'm very happy to help people clear their clutter, but having learned a lot about controlling mine, I'm reluctant to start acquiring more by buying complete sprues full of bits I don't have a use for! Unless they're for bits to give away to reciprocate :).

• 2 weeks later...

Am I right in thinking that the 8 ton van is Diag D357? If so, there were some built as part of 164 D357, D358 and D359 in 1892, a further 2,496 in 1903, and 471 in 1905, according to Midland Wagons Vol 1. My layout will be set in 1905, so the vast majority will be no more than 2 years old.

I'm now trying to sort out what, if any, bits of brake gear I need. Am I right in thinking that in 1905, these vans would have had single sided brakes? If, so, did they also have a brake lever on only one side? That appears to be the case from the information in the book. If that's right, I'll be removing more bits than I need to add!

Archived