Coleborne Junction - Southern Steam 50's - 60's era

pitbull1845

Last weeks visit to Coleborne saw more progress on the bridge and continued ballasting of the Wimhill approach tracks. When the track ballasting is finished in this area, scenic work can start in this corner before starting buildings etc. in the dairy yard.

post-3742-0-43710100-1484554219.jpg

In the last entry, when viewing progress, I had forgotten that during last year , We had taken up the track at Wimhill in order to fit swiches and wire the point frogs plus the small Wimhill control panel was made and slight alterations to the wiring. Some scenic work and construction of the single road engine shed also kept things moving. Another problem not yet resolved, but which occupied much time, was the operation of the turntable.

Hopefully, this year will be as enjoyable as the last six or seven has been during Coleborne's construction. Thats if Nick lets us help of course. Sometimes I think he must wonder about this.

Regards Brian ( wireman )

• Like 4

This weeks Coleborne visit followed the pattern of the last couple of weeks. Bridge building and ballasting. I'm sure these visits are the fastest few hours of each week, arrive, ballast and glue, two cups of tea, ( new kettle ) and time for home. Nicks bridge is coming along very well as I hope the picture shows.

post-3742-0-57032400-1484820786.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 months later...

This weeks Coleborne visit followed the pattern of the last couple of weeks. Bridge building and ballasting. I'm sure these visits are the fastest few hours of each week, arrive, ballast and glue, two cups of tea, ( new kettle ) and time for home. Nicks bridge is coming along very well as I hope the picture shows.

attachicon.gif1-P1050556.JPG

Bridge looks very good, but will it survive the demolition gang !!!!! Knowledge from a recent visit.  Wait and see?? 

• 5 weeks later...

Despite my lack of post on here, things are progressing well. All the ballasting on Wimhill is done, a base colour applied with the new airbrush, plus considerable work on the embankment on the approach to Wimhill, as hopefully the picture shows. The next couple of visits will concentrate on the fencing along the top of the cutting.

News of bridge construction will be the next post.

Brian ( wireman ).

Edited by wireman

The Bridge is now near completion, just needs settling into its position. This is a complete new build of the bridge shown previously as work in progress. As a first attempt at scratch building something of this nature, Nick became increasingly concerned about the strength of it's construction, adding bits here and there to rectify this just seemed to compound the problem, plus, it was becoming difficult to restrict the span within the confines of the hinge of this lifting section. So, a new build was started, this time with a frame of thin M.D.F. which has proved very strong indeed. The initial idea was that the bridge would be fixed to the board but the decision was taken to construct the new one as a removable unit, therefore saving considerable weight when this section has to be hinged up for maintenance etc. 

post-3742-0-92232400-1497862352_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-37124400-1497862400_thumb.jpg

Attention may now turn to the station itself, although as a new turntable kit and motor assy. have been purchased recently, this may prove a diversion for a while. Reference back through our previous ramblings will reveal the turntable has been a problem since the start of the layout. None of us can remember when that was, as these days we have problems remembering anything.

Regards. Brian ( wireman ).

• Like 7

I had forgotten when posting the earlier pictures to say that the engine shed from Coleborne Junction featured on the cover of the June issue of Model Rail magazine as an example of a southern shed. This was a complete surprise as Nick only knew about this when the issue appeared in the news agents. This is one of the pictures taken by Chris Nevard when the layout was featured in the February 2015 issue. A very pleasant suprise.

Brian.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As mentioned in my last post, June 19th, attention has now focused on the replacement turntable. Taking the old one out proved a chore, the ballast etc. was like concrete, chipping and scraping away took some time. The first picture is of the hole left once it was removed, nothing exciting in itself, but going back was obviously now not an option. The second picture is the new assembled Peco kit fitted with a Locomotech motor/gearbox.

post-3742-0-54964600-1502554046.jpg

post-3742-0-26107200-1502554173.jpg

The intention is to run this via a DCC chip as before, in theory we will drop it in the hole, connect the wires and thats it.

Regards. Brian ( wireman )

• Like 6

This weeks visit saw the Turntable back in position. Approach tracks replaced, motor wired and apart from having to re-ballast tracks and things around the table, everything is as hoped.

This motor / gearbox unit has been simplicity itself to fit and performs slowly, smoothly and quietly. Just what it says on the tin, as they say. Picture to follow ,once the scenic part of the job is finished.

Brian ( wireman )

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This weeks visit saw the ballast trucks arrive, mainly cinders etc. to firm in any track replaced during the table replacement. All looks well, just a little weathering to do once the PVA has dried. As mentioned before, the table has pesented problems from the outset and has been on the to do list for a long time, so despite the disruption, a very worthwhile job.

post-3742-0-12066100-1504160342_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-46001400-1504160393_thumb.jpg

Next. Back to Wimhill.

Brian.  (wireman)

• Like 16

A return to the fencing along the embankment this week, which has also prompted me to complete fencing which I have started on my own layout. Fairly straight forward, bit time consuming but am quite pleased with result. If it has not been removed before my next visit, I would assume Nick is happy with it as well. The sheep in the picture are not fixed as yet but I think it highlights that more are required. Two more packs probably, plus sheep dog.

post-3742-0-88015700-1504886104_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-34227200-1504886160_thumb.jpg

Regards Brian. ( wireman )

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...

Last weeks visit included much discussion of the development of Wimhill. As mentioned several times previously, Wimhill is, ( will be) a sea side GWR terminus and after looking at the many kits available , for station buildings etc. nothing really seems suitable. Nick therefore has decided to scratch build the main building and overall roof. The road, buildings etc. behind the sation will lend itself more for the use of kits. A mock up, using a cutting from a magazine picture plus odd scraps of plastic sprue was put together to give a rough an idea for the back scene. The sea part needs to be about 1/2  inch or so higher and we need ideas on finding suitable sea scapes to be able to create this. The wall itself also needs to be higher.  We are looking at possibly taking a photograph of the sea ourselves, quite a lot of it round this area, and printing on matt photo paper, again ideas welcome. Railings and post suitable for sea side proms are available fron several manufacturers, it's for the sea picture we need ideas.

post-3742-0-25659100-1506443536_thumb.jpg

We would probably need three or four lengths like the one in the picture.  This weekend was the local Wimborne model railway exhibition where a new stock of static grass was purchased so this week will be more grass planting working in from the cutting towards the station. More sheep and a GWR signal box kit have also arrived, so plenty to do. Ideas about the background are quite welcome.

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

Despite our lack of post during the last few weeks, progress is being made on the Wimhill extension. As mentioned previously, Nick is is going to scratch build the station building and overall roof and after quite a bit of measuring and planning a start has been made. The first step has been to draw a template for the roof supports from which they have been laser cut by Model Railway Solutions of Poole. The picture shows these placed on the platforms which gives an excellent indication of the size of the canopy. As with all things on the Wimhill boards, this will be removable to facilitate track cleaning and to allow lifting for access to the storage roads below. Meanwhile Nick is making the support pillars, (  quite a lot of them ), whilst Graham and I press on with the backscene.

post-3742-0-60072100-1512030984_thumb.jpg

Showing between the buildings at the top of the picture is now how high the sea will be in the background. The actual sea background will be darker than the one used here and will extend probably about two thirds along the Wimhill backscene.

post-3742-0-81990900-1512031038_thumb.jpg.

Support pillars in progress.

Regards Brian  (wireman)

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

The last couple of visits have seen progress on the station roof, pictures to follow, plus ongoing scenic work. The first picture shows that the sheep have been quite productive, plus the vegetation covering in the foreground has also grown. The second shows the start of work along and around the incoming tracks and the third, the start of the sea wall, now awaiting steps and paving.

post-3742-0-86012700-1514045643_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-03766500-1514045700_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-09599200-1514045746_thumb.jpg

Wishing everyone a very happy Christmas.

Regards. Brian ( wireman ).

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

As always, I am suprised how time has flown since our last entry. The first picture is of the steps on the sea wall to the beach, weathering, seats, people etc.need to be added although, because of the impeding station roof, this area will only be seen by the operator on the Wimhill side. Progess is also being made on the sea wall further along the extension towards the bridge over to the proposed dairy area. New low relief shop fronts have also been made for this area.

post-3742-0-13414200-1519395165_thumb.jpg

The next couple of pics. are of progress on the station roof.

post-3742-0-92207200-1519395394_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-58174800-1519395637_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-97110500-1519395461_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-77816500-1519395538_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

A Wednesday visit this week, to view progress on the station roof and do a little more on the backscene here at Wimhill. First shot is part of the roofing  in place, the second with glacing fitted. As mentioned before, this roof will be removable for track cleaning etc. but stable enough for this board to be lifted for access to the hidden storage roads beneath.

post-3742-0-69678800-1519918201_thumb.jpg

post-3742-0-20968900-1519918244_thumb.jpg

Once the whole roof is complete, a start will be made on the station building although, as clearly visible, there is still a fair bit to do before then.

Regards Brian. ( Wireman ).

• Like 9

I accidently posted the above before I had actually finished. No matter. More shaping is still required  and the intention is that it will run and finish behind the engine shed. I should have given the block a blast of grey primer to make some contrast with the sky.

Regards Brian. ( wireman ).

• Like 2