Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Oxford N7

What stands out with the BR version is that the smokebox numbers are printed on the door rather than on a ‘plate’

True but these are pre-production models so I suppose a proper BR numberplate is on the list of amendments for the BR version.

Useful to have a three quarter view. Strangely I see no pics on Oxford's own site.

On the round top version, apart from the forward safety valve not properly located and no whistle, surplus diverter valve operating rod and crank on smokebox side, chimney and dome looking a little tall; it is a convincing enough Swedey Met. So likely a bit of fiddling around with detail alterations once received and measured. And drop a few lumps of coal on the rear of the cab roof for my patch, something of a Hatfield shed trademark on both their N2s and N7s. Perhaps add the fairly conspicuous valve gear detail that could be seen above the frame tops too.

I'm not normally bothered by tensionlock but those front ones do look very silly :(

They certainly have got the coupler pockets located 'well off' the NEM specified position. Wonder if they have fully modelled the end frame stretchers and that left no space for pockets which thus got 'pushed outwards'? But I can bodge my way out of that, with all the experience gained in sorting out Bachmann's wayward coupler pocket positioning over the years.

• Like 4

Wow, they look even better in the dynamic view rather than just showing the 2D side view, very very impressed with this. 

I was just informed by a friend, I've been so busy today this has come somewhat as a reward for today's efforts. 

post-32040-0-19984500-1527611324_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Cor, they look lovely! Only two comments I have are the printing of the smokebox door numbers instead of a plate, and that the cabside numbers look too 'yellow' (not sure if anyone else has mentioned this already). Bring 'em on!

• Like 1

And just for you P4 types there will be a replacement chassis in the new year...and (you lucky people) with inside valve gear too. Alas, no, it won’t be ‘working’...

Edited by EHertsGER

• RMweb Gold

I'm not normally bothered by tensionlock but those front ones do look very silly :(

Indeed - they look a long way forward - much more than needed - rear as well TBH.

• RMweb Gold

For kadee users looks probably just right for a No.17 which normally is far too short.

I'd rather have then a bit further back with a longer coupler  - gives a tiny bit more swing...

Further photos have appeared on Rails of Sheffield this time showing the other side of the locomotive showing the Westinghouse air pump and the cab, interestingly I didn't know the N7 had two whistles either side of the Safety Valves (GER & LNER Only) But I would like to know if this is incorrect or correct. 

As for the BR version, the whistle is not present... But as explained this is pre-production.

(Photo's credited to Rails of Sheffield)

post-32040-0-79435700-1527701599_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-15500900-1527701607_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-05547500-1527701621_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-33391200-1527701629_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-05648600-1527701636_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-92602900-1527701644_thumb.jpg

post-32040-0-91417300-1527701652_thumb.jpg

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 10

One whistle; on Belpaire engines it was on the firebox, offset to driver's side (rh on first 22 engines). On round topped fire box engines it was on the spectacle plate.

The vacuum ejector pipe is superfluous on the GE and LNE versions. The first dozen only ever had air brakes.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
  • Like 2

One whistle; on Belpaire engines it was on the firebox, offset to driver's side (rh on engineering 22 engines). On round topped fire box engines it was on the spectacle plate.

The vacuum ejector pipe is superfluous on the GE and LNE versions. The first dozen only ever had air brakes.

D

I have been thinking about this problem for a while. What coaches are available for the LNER version to pull? However I have read somewhere that some LNER coaches were fitted with Westinghouse brakes for use on the GE section. Can anybody say what type they were?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been thinking about this problem for a while. What coaches are available for the LNER version to pull? However I have read somewhere that some LNER coaches were fitted with Westinghouse brakes for use on the GE section. Can anybody say what type they were?

Certainly the Quint-Arts were Westinghouse braked.

• RMweb Gold

Yes they were but only available as a Kirk kit and for a very limited area of operation. Were any other LNER Gresley designs so fitted?

I'm still holding out hope that Mr Bedford comes through with an etches set as he already does a quad-art which is similar.

I'm assuming the quad-arts that ran out of Liverpool St also were so equipped, but not sure and the "wrong side" of Liverpool St for me. The GN section ones presumably didn't have Westinghouse.

Depending on your era the Westinghouse system was used quite a lot on the GE section in GER days, with a steady reduction through LNER ownership, and into BR with just the Jazz trains using it. The only Gresley era new-build Westinghouse equipped vehicles that I'm aware of were the Quints and probably the Liverpool St Quads.

More than happy to be proved wrong as usual :)

Edited by Bucoops
  • Like 1

...What coaches are available for the LNER version to pull? However I have read somewhere that some LNER coaches were fitted with Westinghouse brakes for use on the GE section. Can anybody say what type they were?

From RTR, it's Hornby's Gresley non gangwayed selection, and post war Thompson non-gangwayed. Better than nothing, but not correct for all the services that these locos operated on. Westinghouse brakes were often fitted to GE section stock, but by no means all.

The variety the LNER sported in articulated vehicles in particular generally means kit building: although a simpler method offers for the twins, by combining the RTR Gresley vehicle bodies. One or two inacuracies would have to be winked at...

• Like 1

From RTR, it's Hornby's Gresley non gangwayed selection, and post war Thompson non-gangwayed. Better than nothing, but not correct for all the services that these locos operated on. Westinghouse brakes were often fitted to GE section stock, but by no means all.

The variety the LNER sported in articulated vehicles in particular generally means kit building: although a simpler method offers for the twins, by combining the RTR Gresley vehicle bodies. One or two inacuracies would have to be winked at...

Probably less hassle to renumber the engine to one of the 1923/24 Stratford built batch. They all had vacuum pipes as well as Westinghouse.

• Like 1

One whistle; on Belpaire engines it was on the firebox, offset to driver's side (rh on first 22 engines). On round topped fire box engines it was on the spectacle plate.

D

I had a look through the Yeadon's book and found that there were some N7's, fitted with Whistles on the Firemans side, this is while with Belpaire boilers. Maybe Oxford is looking to do N7s with whistles on different sides of the loco. We shall see, besides we know they have to iron out a few issues before we know 100% that the model will look like this.

Edited by Norton Wood
  • Like 1

I had a look through the Yeadon's book and found that there were some N7's, fitted with Whistles on the Firemans side, this is while with Belpaire boilers. Maybe Oxford is looking to do N7s with whistles on different sides of the loco. We shall see, besides we know they have to iron out a few issues before we know 100% that the model will look like this.

Er I think you might have forgotten the change to LHD after 7999.

Details aside, it looks the part tho'.

D

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I don't know how many modellers are like me, thinking that the N7's were just used on passenger/empty stock workings, but browsing through John Mann's East Anglian Steam Gallery series of albums today on another matter I found one plate towards the back of part One showing 69713 on freight shunting duties at Bishop's Stortford on the 19th June 1959 - which may have just been between passenger duties but the single righthand lamp indicates freight work - and another in part Two with 69674 shunting wagons at Standon on 13th June 1958, which must have been as part of a freight working yet the single top disc fitted would indicate a passenger/mixed branch train.

Whatever the particular cases it would seem to suggest a bit more leeway on using these locos in their later years for anyone considering getting one of the BR versions. It's certainly made me re-consider whether to get one, the main concern being whether there is enough room under the footplate for P4 wheelsets as I don't really want a re-run of the work the Hornby J15 entailed, or the Heljan W&M railbus come to that.....

Izzy

• Like 3

I don't know how many modellers are like me, thinking that the N7's were just used on passenger/empty stock workings, but browsing through John Mann's East Anglian Steam Gallery series of albums today on another matter I found one plate towards the back of part One showing 69713 on freight shunting duties at Bishop's Stortford on the 19th June 1959 - which may have just been between passenger duties but the single righthand lamp indicates freight work - and another in part Two with 69674 shunting wagons at Standon on 13th June 1958, which must have been as part of a freight working yet the single top disc fitted would indicate a passenger/mixed branch train.

Whatever the particular cases it would seem to suggest a bit more leeway on using these locos in their later years for anyone considering getting one of the BR versions. It's certainly made me re-consider whether to get one, the main concern being whether there is enough room under the footplate for P4 wheelsets as I don't really want a re-run of the work the Hornby J15 entailed, or the Heljan W&M railbus come to that.....

Izzy

Having spoken to a driver who worked out of both Norwich City station (M&GNJt) and Norwich Thorpe, he used to be a fireman on the United Dairy runs which now make the Mid Norfolk Railway. He jokes about the fact that this particular run on this N7 was so worn out that they would work the engine off the pressure, because the engine would run at lets 150psi..but it would quickly drop so he would have to build the fire again and the driver and firemen would work the train off the pressure. Quite funny really.  

post-32040-0-06151900-1530114943.jpg

Similar trains to this image of a J15 on the Milk trains

• Like 9

Izzy

Although J15's worked the Buntingford freight traffic, I suspect it would not have been uncommon to see N7's working the daily freight on the branch either. Some of the class spread their wings later in their BR careers and ended up working branch passenger and freight as you said, but there were a few reallocated to Colchester (primarily for the Walton and Brightlingsea branches), Norwich and Kings Lynn around 1950-1953 to replace Gobblers, the N7's themselves being displaced by L1's. I suspect these country bumpkin examples could, and did, turn up on anything suitable.  

Having just looked through the fleet allocations on BRLocoDatabase, it is striking just how many spent their entire career at Stratford - although several ended up on the GN for suburban traffic based at Hatfield or Kings Cross, so you can justify them on a GN layout. Some made it to Colwick, Annesley and Lincoln, and one was withdrawn from Thornaby! 

Edited by NXEA!