Oxford N7

• RMweb Gold

Question: Did these lovely locos pull Quad-Arts? If so, that would make a good subject for production.

I believe they pullled quad arts out of the west side of Liverpool St (Enfield etc.) and Quints out of the Eastern side (Shenfield direction).

The Belpaire N7 looks smashing. ...like many RTR locos, they are easily altered...

My screwdrivers are ready and waiting for this item...

Question: Did these lovely locos pull Quad-Arts? If so, that would make a good subject for production.

They did, even pairs of GN section Quad-Arts out of Moorgate/KX. Despite the even more lovely N2 being a fixture in RTR since the 1950s, no GN section Quad-Arts as yet; even though they daily ran alongside the Doncaster pacifics and could be hauled by practically any traction, including pilot scheme diesels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The only Quad Arts on the GE Section were quite different to those on the GN; more 'outer suburban' in character with larger vans and lower seating density, intended I believe for Hertford East services.

• RMweb Gold

I believe I recall reading that the GN Quad Art sets were nick named Sit Up And Beg since that’s the way the seats were in them - bolt upright, and having no leg room either. I believe a figure of 20 per compartment, sat and stood, was not unknown. Sounds very much like many of the seats in the present day units! Also, apparently, the suspension could be quite bouncy, with sickly results. None of that stops me from admiring the lovely preserved set, as in the above photo’.

Regards

Rob.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The GE section Quads for Liverpool St - Hertford services were built on the pattern of the compartment sizes standard in Gresley's 51' non-gangwayed, and as such rather different from the GN section units intended to cram in as much walking self loading freight as possible.

Thats better.

• 1 month later...

Getting very excited for this one... I realise that some were not happy with the Dean Goods or Mark 3’s, but even if this has similar issues this will still be of a standard far beyond my capability. When Hornby are charging £205 for a Duchess, and I’ll be paying £170 for this with DCC Sound, you really cannot complain.

Nothing wrong with the mechanism's running qualities on the sole Oxford loco I have tinkered with (Radial) nor does this aspect appear to be a problem on the Dean goods either. So the mechanism aspect should be sorted, 'only' the external appearance to get right! Oxford's photos awaited with interest. As a model with no previous or expected RTR competition if they get it right it should do well in the market.

LNER pre-group design smaller secondary power is at last beginning to fill out a little with recent releases: D11, D16, J11, J15, J50; and the G5, J36, J70 and N7 to come. Wonder when it will occur to some maker that a small GNR design tender type would be appropriate?

Found an update on Oxford Rail's page today:

"3rd May 2018:

Livery samples have arrived in our office which include the N7 and the 5 plank wagons. Photographs to follow soon"

Been about 10 days since the update, so hopefully the photos will be up soon.

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the mechanism's running qualities on the sole Oxford loco I have tinkered with (Radial) nor does this aspect appear to be a problem on the Dean goods either. So the mechanism aspect should be sorted, 'only' the external appearance to get right! Oxford's photos awaited with interest. As a model with no previous or expected RTR competition if they get it right it should do well in the market.

LNER pre-group design smaller secondary power is at last beginning to fill out a little with recent releases: D11, D16, J11, J15, J50; and the G5, J36, J70 and N7 to come. Wonder when it will occur to some maker that a small GNR design tender type would be appropriate?

A J6 is a no-brainer, they were widespread. Very attractive loco to boot! 

And, joy of joys, the BR version has a round-topped boiler.

Ohhh, now that makes me *much* more likely to purchase it! Now all I need is a mortgage to afford the Ian Kirk Quint-Art kits to go behind it!

One thought - is the lining not very close to the edge of the tanks and cabside? I can't help but feel there ought to be rather more of a black border outside it...

Edited by Skinnylinny
  • Like 1

But they really were lined out like that in BR livery, distinctively different to the N2 which had the tankside lining well inset. Now, why? Perhaps there is some old hand who knows, possibly a Stratford thing.

Having gone looking for photos, you're absolutely correct. In which case, hats off to Oxford for getting that right. 

• Like 1